talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game Of Thrones

football forum

On 06/05/2019 at 14:22, Lucas said:

Ok, my thoughts.

Hide contents

It felt like this episode was very much #TeamJon for the throne and made Dany look like she was fighting a losing battle. You could see the despair in her body language.

She lost Jorah, her main protector, last week, she's lost another Dragon and her right hand woman in Missandei, and with Jon's secret starting to spread out, you can see conspiring against her with Varys heavily involved. Surely only a matter of time before Tyrion goes against her. They have hinted at that in the past when they have had their differences of opinuon, not to mention Tyrion's close relationship with Sansa.

I think Dany could feel the game is up and was trying to be clever in getting Jon onside to stop him revealing the truth to the Stark's. Obviously she doesn't know Sansa and Arya know, but now Jon has, and once she finds out, I think she'll turn on him, after Cersei is dealt with of course.

You kind of feel sorry for Dany, she's been built up as a saviour despite glimpses of how savage she can be, but without doubt she's losing it emotionally. Particularly when Euron's fleet killed Rhaegal and she charged at them with Drogon. She was heading for suicide and came to her senses at the last minute. Losing Missandei is like the last straw for her.

Dany aside, it would have been nice to see how Sansa and Arya first reacted to being told Jon's news. I was disappointed that we didn't get to see Bran telling them both and the emotional impact that had

Well, I don't think I was too far away really. You could see that was roughly going to happen.

I'm not disappointed to see Dany turn bad either. It was always hinted at. But maybe it could have been done differently.

I'm still mixed on the episode really. If I'm being perfectly honest, I feel the show has lost the 'wow factors' that made it synonymous. There wasn't a stage where I was like "Oh Shit...", it all just happened and felt a bit bland. I think it was missing emotion.

Cersei and Jamie's deaths were a cop out for me. I'd rather Dany just charge at the Red Keep and burn them both whilst they were sharing an embrace, if she's gonna fly round the whole city burning every nook and crevice. That would also have produced more emotion i feel.

And The Mountain being nigh on indestructible was a bit too much for me. I'd like to have seen Arya come back after being persuaded to go, and help The Hound in some way defeat his brother, then die from his wounds in front of Arya, that would have been more fitting given what they have both gone through.

Dany won this battle too easy for me also. There should have been more resistance to her than what there was, especially from the Golden Company but it was a complete drubbing.

Ah well, here's to next week, last episode. Was always going to split opinion and polarise the fan base but let's see how they leave it before fully judging Season 8.

Fucking shit show this. I'm appalled at how poor this ending has been. We've had 3/4 amazing seasons, followed by three good to very good ones but unfortunately topped off by this garbage. 

HBO forcing great writers into tying up so many stories is so little time is one of the biggest mistakes in television history. Way to ruin a legacy you fucking cunts. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Considering how the last 3 or 4 series have been, no major deaths, everybody heading into the final battle it’s hardly unexpected that this series has been rushed. Ever since they left the books they’ve tried to compensate the lack of good dialogue and intricate storytelling with mad cinematography, this is just what happens come the end.

In fairness I liked what Dany done, lost her rag and burnt everyone. Fair play. But the deaths were forced as has been said, The Mountain and The Hound (though I like how The Hound “won” the fight but still), Cersei and Jaime being forced out (the Viking nearly killing him even worse. No one cares about him).

The only good thing about the episode was everyone dying but it’s too late. Still I’m excited for the next episode and wanna see who fucks who up in Winterfell.

For the quality of stuff GoT have been putting out the last few years this episode has been pretty much the standard, I don’t think it’s as bad as people have made out considering what has passed (the biggest farce being the Whitewalkers barely being fucking in it even though the whole show was about “winters coming” 😂)

Just enjoy what’s left because the show dropped in quality once it stopped being about the books and started being a blockbuster.[\spoiler]

41 minutes ago, Rick said:

Fucking shit show this. I'm appalled at how poor this ending has been. We've had 3/4 amazing seasons, followed by three good to very good ones but unfortunately topped off by this garbage. 

HBO forcing great writers into tying up so many stories is so little time is one of the biggest mistakes in television history. Way to ruin a legacy you fucking cunts. 

The blame only lies with Weiss and Beinoff. 

Maybe they got bored of the series and wanted to quickly end it to move onto other things. Shame really. 

@topic

Apart from the rushed bit (which you could say about the entire season), I thought the episode was okay. Cleganebowl felt underwhelming. Dany's turn rushed. Varys' end abrupt, but necessary. 

• Wow 1

Just now, Machado said:

I thought the Dothraki were basically extinct? There are dozens of them again somehow.

The only explanation I can think of other than "oh D&D fucked up again" is that Dany left Dothraki at Dragonsreach to defend Dragonsreach while she went north with the bulk of them. How many Unsullied are there though? There must have been shitloads brought over, because it seemed like many of them died in the Battle of Winterfell & in Euron's second ambush it seemed pretty bad for the Unsullied - wasn't really clear on how many had survived... but it didn't look like many. Yet there were still a fuckload for the fall of Kings Landing and in the "next time on GoT" trailer thing, there's still clearly plenty of Unsullied.

Are these continuity errors or are there explanations that we just haven't been given because of the rush to get the story done?

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Dany won this battle too easy for me also. There should have been more resistance to her than what there was, especially from the Golden Company but it was a complete drubbing.

I was wondering if that one dragon was trained more harshly or if he's just a different breed than his brothers, who are now looking very underpowered.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Are these continuity errors or are there explanations that we just haven't been given because of the rush to get the story done?

It's embarrassing either way isn't it? It's laughable how much is left unexplained.

3 minutes ago, Machado said:

It's embarrassing either way isn't it? It's laughable how much is left unexplained.

I think nothing is as unforgiveable as Dany's 7 year development to be the breaker of chains being lazily cast aside for the sake of D&D deciding they can tell the story with less episodes.

I think the next episode is going to be the most divisive in the series... just looking at how this final season has polarised so many fans. I don't know what the rationale behind only having 6 episodes to close out this season, but it really does seem like they went for cinematic sequences over plot this season... and that doesn't seem fitting for a show that received so much praise for how it delivered the plot to its viewers.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Machado said:

I saw that. Several as in a handful? Maybe less. There are just way, way too many of them left. Plot hole.

I honestly don't think they give a fuck. At this moment in time Deus Ex Machina is in full effect

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think nothing is as unforgiveable as Dany's 7 year development to be the breaker of chains being lazily cast aside for the sake of D&D deciding they can tell the story with less episodes.

I think the next episode is going to be the most divisive in the series... just looking at how this final season has polarised so many fans. I don't know what the rationale behind only having 6 episodes to close out this season, but it really does seem like they went for cinematic sequences over plot this season... and that doesn't seem fitting for a show that received so much praise for how it delivered the plot to its viewers.

If they wanted the Mad Queen they should have built it. Losing all your personality over the death of Melissandre is madness. Everything felt very forced and rushed. Why even murder innocents and ignore the Red Keep, letting Cersei escape?

After so many years of hyping this battle, Cersei doesn't have any battle plans at all? One dragon is enough to end the most anticipated battle in the history of TV? They murdered the show.

How about Jon Snow? He really knows nothing and DOES nothing, just like in winterfell. Arya with the most screen time once again, fuck knows why. In the end it looked like she was on her way to kill Daenerys, maybe she even will.

The all intelligent Varys would discuss treason with Jon Snow, the most honourable man in the show since Ned Stark? This is not Varys ffs!

One thing I will definitely ageee on is the dialogue has been poorer post martins source material, I think you could have stretched it out 100 episodes but I’m still mindful that such a big symtory needs trimming to display in this media, it’s why I still read hard copy books in this digital age.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Varys ever expected Tyrion to be such a grass. That said, Vary's always served the realm and believed Jon to be the best ruler, even if it did take his life. 

There's a lot of issues with the show, but Dany's path to madness isn't one of them for me.

Shes showed signs before and with the accumulation of everything...

1. Not being loved in Westeros as she was in Essos

2. Finding out Jon is the rightful heir 

3. Seeing Jon loved by his people and fearing they would back him instead of her if they knew the truth

Think all of this led to her paranoia and the murder of Millisendre pushed her over the edge. 

source.gif

Edited by Cicero

3 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

One thing I will definitely ageee on is the dialogue has been poorer post martins source material, I think you could have stretched it out 100 episodes but I’m still mindful that such a big symtory needs trimming to display in this media, it’s why I still read hard copy books in this digital age.

When you say hard copy books do you mean none of that e-book reader bullshit like the Amazon one? If so, good man - I've tried so hard to like e-book shite but it bothers my eyes for some reason. Maybe they're better now than the one I used years ago... before I sold it because using it pissed me the fuck off while just grabbing a book and reading an actual book didn't piss me off.

But yeah, they obviously had to trim a lot from the books to make it work with a TV show. Particularly this season, where sometimes GRRM would just waffle on about backstory - family members of the characters he's describing, shit like that. It's all interesting information, it's world building and is part of character development, but it doesn't serve any purpose in driving the main plot - particularly on a TV show where there are other ways to develop characters. And for 6 seasons, I think the show did a good job - even though it deviated pretty significantly - at telling it's story and developing the characters.

On the plus side, I think that means there's plenty of GRRM written source material for spin-offs if they're prequels. There's stories he tells in the background of the story he's telling in his books - and Westeros and the world he's built have obviously captured millions of fans attentions. So I think if HBO wants easy money, they can probably pretty easily start with a "Rob's Rebellion" type show, and probably more than a few others - but there's a massive history for the story's world that exists in the existing source material.

I still enjoy the show, it's clearly a masterpiece. And in terms of the production of the show and the cinematics of this season, it's all incredible. But I'm just annoyed at the drop in quality with the writing since the source material's dried up - I think a show that had such a long run of fantastic writing deserved better for it's final season. Having said that, I still think the show is strong despite all of the flak it's getting here (and tbh mostly elsewhere, the last episode's been panned almost everywhere - and I thought it was a much better episode than the episode before it, but apparently I'm one of the few who thinks so).

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I don't think Varys ever expected Tyrion to be such a grass. That said, Vary's always served the realm and believed Jon to be the best ruler, even if it did take his life. 

There's a lot of issues with the show, but Dany's path to madness isn't one of them for me.

Shes showed signs before and with the accumulation of everything...

1. Not being loved in Westeros as she was in Essos

2. Finding out Jon is the rightful heir 

3. Seeing Jon loved by his people and fearing they would back him instead of her if they knew the truth

Think all of this led to her paranoia and the murder of Millisendre pushed her over the edge. 

source.gif

I disagree mate. Dany's arc is fucking bonkers. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

When you say hard copy books do you mean none of that e-book reader bullshit like the Amazon one? If so, good man - I've tried so hard to like e-book shite but it bothers my eyes for some reason. Maybe they're better now than the one I used years ago... before I sold it because using it pissed me the fuck off while just grabbing a book and reading an actual book didn't piss me off.

But yeah, they obviously had to trim a lot from the books to make it work with a TV show. Particularly this season, where sometimes GRRM would just waffle on about backstory - family members of the characters he's describing, shit like that. It's all interesting information, it's world building and is part of character development, but it doesn't serve any purpose in driving the main plot - particularly on a TV show where there are other ways to develop characters. And for 6 seasons, I think the show did a good job - even though it deviated pretty significantly - at telling it's story and developing the characters.

On the plus side, I think that means there's plenty of GRRM written source material for spin-offs if they're prequels. There's stories he tells in the background of the story he's telling in his books - and Westeros and the world he's built have obviously captured millions of fans attentions. So I think if HBO wants easy money, they can probably pretty easily start with a "Rob's Rebellion" type show, and probably more than a few others - but there's a massive history for the story's world that exists in the existing source material.

I still enjoy the show, it's clearly a masterpiece. And in terms of the production of the show and the cinematics of this season, it's all incredible. But I'm just annoyed at the drop in quality with the writing since the source material's dried up - I think a show that had such a long run of fantastic writing deserved better for it's final season. Having said that, I still think the show is strong despite all of the flak it's getting here (and tbh mostly elsewhere, the last episode's been panned almost everywhere - and I thought it was a much better episode than the episode before it, but apparently I'm one of the few who thinks so).

I won’t give Jeff Bezos a penny of my money if I can help it, entire industry revolves around print I buy a book new then donate to charity shops and that’s my reading philosophy

• Upvote 1