talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

50 Leicester Fans Involved In Homophobic Chanting

Supporters of both clubs have condemned homophobic abuse after anti-gay chanting was heard during Leicester's match against Brighton.

Two Foxes fans were arrested during their team's 2-0 home win over the Seagulls on Saturday.

Brighton Supporters Club's vice chair said such chanting was "disgusting" and the club should be fined and anyone responsible banned from the stadium.

The chairman of Foxes Pride said abuse was "offensive" and "unacceptable".

Brighton is a city well known for having a substantial lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community.

Liz Costa from Brighton & Hove Albion Supporters Club said about 50 Leicester fans took part in the "disgusting" chanting throughout most of the match at the King Power Stadium.

She said: "The club needs fining, this has nothing to do with football.

"[The chanting] lets the whole club down and damages their reputation. I feel I never want to visit [the stadium] again.

"Those responsible need to be identified and banned."

She added that Leicester's stewards were "very good" and reacted quickly.

Graeme Smith from Foxes Pride said: "There are some forums where people are saying you need to get over it, you need to get a life, it's only a bit of banter, but its not, it's offensive and it's unacceptable."

Leicester fan Chris Whiting, who is gay, said the "shocking" chanting by his fellow supporters made him feel unsafe.

Both the Football Association and the Premier League have been approached for comment.

Paul Mortimer from anti-discrimination group Kick It Out said: "It's about education more than anything, making people aware of the impact that this has on their own fans.

"Within football clubs there are LGBT communities and imagine what they will be feeling when a section of fans are saying this horrible language in their presence."

Leicester City said it was "disappointed" about what happened but satisfied stewards reacted "swiftly and appropriately" and those responsible were ejected and reported to police.

A 44-year-old man has been charged with indecent chanting under Section 3 of the Football Offences Act and is due to appear at Leicester Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

A second man aged 21 who was arrested on suspicion of making obscene gestures was given a caution.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-41000016

Anyone know what was said?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I don't know what exactly. If it's things such as "we can see you holding hands" I really don't think it warrants a huge outcry. If there was threatening behaviour based on someone being gay, say Chris* for example was threatened for it then I agree action needs taking.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest. People always try and cross the line once one is drawn, that's a fact of life. I can't believe that those who did it will see this reaction and have any regret, being honest, they knew it'd get a reaction like this so did it.

It is poor but stand by my first paragraph.

*Chris used to post on TFF xD he was FuriousFox.

• Subscriber

I must add I wouldn't sing stuff like "we can see you holding hands" because it's been done to death and they've been on the end of it for years. Unoriginal and boring.

• Administrator

No place for any kind of homophobia in any sport but it's rife in football sadly. I don't understand what kind of kicks fans get out of taking the piss out of someone's sexuality when they're there to watch a game of football xD

@Dan @HoneyNUFC apparently there was also a chant saying 'does your boyfriend know you're here?'. 

I don't sit near the away fans but there was some twatty teenager who tried to start a 'you're just a gay town in...' chant but then didn't know what county Brighton was in so had to shut up. Then his dad gave him a swift telling off as well xD

• Subscriber

I think in a crowd of 30,000 home fans it is nigh on impossible to have none of them make any of those kinds of comments, even more so when it gets brought to attention beforehand. Reminds me a bit of when we had that respect the ref fixture that time and everyone immediately went harder on the ref, obviously not exactly the same but similar concept.

Not defending people who sing it but I can't see a realistic or sensible way that you eradicate it entirely.

It's being made to be a bigger thing because Brighton are a Premier League team now. Brighton have, unfortunately, been on the end of this sort of thing for years and though I think we've come a long way over the years, it still goes on and is rightly criticised and looked into with a level of seriousness. 

I thought Brighton get it often "does your boyfriend know your here" I'm sure that has been sang at most clubs. Give it six months Brighton will have a third kit in rainbow colours released while the media really go an extra mile to prove they're not homophobic while championing them. 

It's slightly ironic because Brighton look like they're going to get fucked in the arse all year based off their showing so far. 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Do people still think someone being gay is worthy of a chant? 

Jesus Christ, what is this... 1985? 

Poor this from Leicester fans, very poor indeed. 

As Smiley has quite correctly pointed out, Brighton fans usually get this wherever they go. It was seemed as 'football banter' about a decade ago, but with a shift in public perception and Brighton now being a Premier League club I reckon this will be a much talked about issue this season (and quite rightly so).

3 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I thought Brighton get it often "does your boyfriend know your here" I'm sure that has been sang at most clubs. Give it six months Brighton will have a third kit in rainbow colours released while the media really go an extra mile to prove they're not homophobic while championing them. 

It's slightly ironic because Brighton look like they're going to get fucked in the arse all year based off their showing so far. 

Wow. 

This bloke's vote counts for exactly the same as everyone else's. 

5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

You have got to be kidding me.

5 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

You have got to be kidding me.

Yeah it's a fairly tongue in cheek post, I'd have thought the suggestion of a rainbow third strip gave it away but alas. 

On a serious note however if you were to stand on any clubs terraces you're going to get generalisation and lewd inproper comments back & forth. Leicester themselves often get racist chanting about being terrorists and such. A couple of prats chanting "we can see you holding hands" is hardly worth the column inches it will no doubt inspire. 

4 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Yeah it's a fairly tongue in cheek post, I'd have thought the suggestion of a rainbow third strip gave it away but alas. 

On a serious note however if you were to stand on any clubs terraces you're going to get generalisation and lewd inproper comments back & forth. Leicester themselves often get racist chanting about being terrorists and such. A couple of prats chanting "we can see you holding hands" is hardly worth the column inches it will no doubt inspire. 

We all know it's not a tongue in cheek post. We all know you really blame all those foreigns for taking jobs, how every mosque is a school for bomb making, how you believed that Big Ben was to be renamed Massive Mohammed and how everyone should speak English in Inglund because they're in Inglund and if your St George's Cross offends them, they can all go home.

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

We all know it's not a tongue in cheek post. We all know you really blame all those foreigns for taking jobs, how every mosque is a school for bomb making, how you believed that Big Ben was to be renamed Massive Mohammed and how everyone should speak English in Inglund because they're in Inglund and if your St George's Cross offends them, they can all go home.

lol I don't even know where to start with that, that's what I believe is called triggering by the young folk. 

11 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

They've got 2 new players coming in to be fair. Haven't played any games they're expected to get points either.

They lack pace for me I thought both them & yourselves would struggle with your existing squads because neither had real pace which would cost them in the prem. I take your point though not the easiest of games 

Archived