talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Show us your pets

football forum

My parrot hasn't been in its cage since the first week I bought it(about 4 months ago), it has made the whole living room its home and has perches, etc, everywhere. The only time it pops back into its cage is when it is having something to eat, but if you go near it when it does so, it quickly flies out so that you can't lock it in. It's not stupid at all xD. Saying that, I don't have intentions of keeping it locked in the cage as there is no point and it also makes me feel anxious to lock a bird in a cage. It's safe enough, it only shits in certain places(so I put kitchen roll down in those areas) and at night they obviously don't fly, so it just chills on top of a perch and sleeps there.

I've got to say, that it eats shitloads. It has a pot of seed everyday(which contains alsorts from sunflower seeds to sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds to dried banana and dried chile) and then I give it a pot of fruit and veg every morning before work, usually containing atleast some blueberries as they are its favourite(other fruits are apple, strawberry, kiwi, melon, pineapple, blackberries...), then every other day it has brazil nuts and almonds as a treat. Red pepper is another it likes and sometimes it gets some chiles, along with a bit of lettuce or sugar snaps.

On Christmas day it had a bit of turkey too. They are fine to eat plain chicken or turkey from time to time as long as its cooked properly and contains no added salt. I gave it some turkey, a few sprouts and some cauliflower. It threw t he sprouts across the room but loved the turkey xD

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

This is a fantastic idea. I'll hit the shop tomorrow.

This is my first aquarium ever and I kind of got it unexpectedly a few days ago so I have absolutely no clue :7_sweat_smile:

If you have questions feel free to ask. This is one of the only kind of pets I have a strong interest in (apart from my dog) and I can always help out. It's easy if you set it up right and then it just takes care of itself as time goes on (when I say time let me add a disclaimer of 9months+)

• Like 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Carnivore Chris said:

My parrot hasn't been in its cage since the first week I bought it(like 4 months ago), it has made the whole living room its home and has perches, etc, everywhere. The only time it pops back into its cage is when it is having something to eat, but if you go near it when it does so, it quickly flies out. It's not stupid at all xD. Sayin g that, I don't have intentions of keeping it locked in the cage as there is no point. It's safe enough, it only shits in certain places(so I put kitchen role down in those areas) and at night they obviously don't fly, so it just chills on top of a perch and sleeps there.

I've got to say, that it eats shitloads. It has a pot of seed everyday(which contains alsorts from sunflower seeds to sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds to dried banana and dried chile) and then I give it a pot of fruit and veg every morning before work, usually containing atleast some blueberries as they are its favourite(other fruits are apple, strawberry, kiwi, melon, pineapple, blackberries...), then every other day it has brazil nuts and almonds as a treat. Red pepper is another it likes and sometimes it gets some chiles, along with a bit of lettuce or sugar snaps.

On Christmas day it had a bit of turkey too. They are fine to eat plain chicken or turkey from time to time as long as its cooked properly and contains no added salt. I gave it some turkey, a few sprouts and some coleflour. It threw t he sprouts across the room but loved the turkey xD

Your parrot eats better than most of my mates xD

• Haha 2

• Subscriber

I can remember back when our daughter was at primary school and her teacher went on holiday and asked Denise to look after her fish until she finished her holidays, we had the fish for about 3 weeks, named Goldie and Flash, in a medium-sized tank.

When I cleaned the tank out and replaced it with some fresh water I would fill up the bath and put Goldie and Flash in it and I would put some fish tank ornaments in the bath and a few Denise's small ceramic figures or toys, they loved it and would shoot up and down chasing each other and darting between the figures, I would leave them in it for a good hour or so and let them get the freedom of moving around in a bigger space. 

Edited by CaaC (John)

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

If you have questions feel free to ask. This is one of the only kind of pets I have a strong interest in (apart from my dog) and I can always help out. It's easy if you set it up right and then it just takes care of itself as time goes on (when I say time let me add a disclaimer of 9months+)

Thanks for that! I took over the aquarium from the previous owner who had it all set up and going for around two years; he'll also be coming round to show me how to properly clean it and change water etc. But I will definitely bother you if I have any questions! :D The only concern now is two fish that seem to have gotten some black smudges on their body, tail and fins. It doesn't seem to affect any other fish (there are 16 in the tank in total) and the two don't show any other symptoms either. The guy in the fish store thinks it's food-related (could make sense as the previous owner mentioned he changed the food a few weeks back and that's then the spots appeared) so we switched back to the previously used food a few days ago. No more new black spots seem to have appeared but I'm not sure they're disappearing either.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Thanks for that! I took over the aquarium from the previous owner who had it all set up and going for around two years; he'll also be coming round to show me how to properly clean it and change water etc. But I will definitely bother you if I have any questions! :D The only concern now is two fish that seem to have gotten some black smudges on their body, tail and fins. It doesn't seem to affect any other fish (there are 16 in the tank in total) and the two don't show any other symptoms either. The guy in the fish store thinks it's food-related (could make sense as the previous owner mentioned he changed the food a few weeks back and that's then the spots appeared) so we switched back to the previously used food a few days ago. No more new black spots seem to have appeared but I'm not sure they're disappearing either.

Give it some time fish tend to exhibit changes much faster when they get sick. Are they moving around mid-water or just staying to the bottom of the tank?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Give it some time fish tend to exhibit changes much faster when they get sick. Are they moving around mid-water or just staying to the bottom of the tank?

Moving around all over the tank, don't appear to be sluggish or stressed and have normal appetite. I'll get a pic of the spots a bit later if you don't mind.

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

Moving around all over the tank, don't appear to be sluggish or stressed and have normal appetite. I'll get a pic of the spots a bit later if you don't mind.

Dont mind at all. If I can help I will. The fact that they aren't sluggish or stressed means that they arent totally affected by it.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Only says Goldfish but this might help...

Black patches on a goldfish sometimes signify that his tank water was overdue for a change. Fish waste, uneaten food and plant debris create ammonia, a toxic chemical. If tank water isn't changed frequently enough, ammonia builds up and burns fish skin.

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR GOLDFISH GETS BIG BLACK DOTS ON HIM?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Only says Goldfish but this might help...

Black patches on a goldfish sometimes signify that his tank water was overdue for a change. Fish waste, uneaten food and plant debris create ammonia, a toxic chemical. If tank water isn't changed frequently enough, ammonia builds up and burns fish skin.

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR GOLDFISH GETS BIG BLACK DOTS ON HIM?

Cheers, I googled it myself earlier too but this doesn't seem to be the likely cause... We tested the water and the parameters are fine (all tests show optimal condition). The two fish in question are orange blood parrots (there are 4 more of them in the tank); from what I managed to read so far it seems black spots are quite common in the species and they can develop them from anything; like a large water change, stress, maturation, or something serious like disease or a parasite. The blood parrots are apparently laboratory created hybrids of unspecified origin :o 

• Wow 1

• Subscriber

@Mel81x just took some pics and noticed a few things - one of the two fish still has visible black/brown smudges but they seem less intense than before. The second one (the smaller) barely has any at all, most of them seem to have disappeared and it's getting its normal colour back!!! 

IMG_20200121_201805.jpg

IMG_20200121_201827.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Are you going to let it make it's own mind up??? might want to be one of them gender neutral jobbies 

I'm afraid if I do that it might turn into a precious little snowflake and start complaining about its food not being vegan, kosher, gluten and lactose free, low carb, and ethically produced by local farmers.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'm afraid if I do that it might turn into a precious little snowflake and start complaining about its food not being vegan, kosher, gluten and lactose free, low carb, and ethically produced by local farmers.

Well that's the dilemma isn't it, If you don't let it decide then when it grows up it could blame you for it's poor life choices citing a poor upbringing, lack of opportunities, male trapped in a female body or vice versa, then next thing you know it will be sniffing pond weed and hanging about in the shady part of the tank and you won't see it from one day to the next... then one day it will be found floating at the top of the tank dead and people will ask... Could you have done more Nudge?? 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

@Mel81x just took some pics and noticed a few things - one of the two fish still has visible black/brown smudges but they seem less intense than before. The second one (the smaller) barely has any at all, most of them seem to have disappeared and it's getting its normal colour back!!! 

IMG_20200121_201805.jpg

IMG_20200121_201827.jpg

Yeah wouldn't worry at all. Looks like its something food related more than anything else going by what you said earlier. I'd watch them for another week and it will just go away. What are you feeding them btw?

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Yeah wouldn't worry at all. Looks like its something food related more than anything else going by what you said earlier. I'd watch them for another week and it will just go away. What are you feeding them btw?

Pellets. This one is specifically what the fish store gave us to help with the colour of the blood parrots. 

IMG_20200122_020121.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, nudge said:

Pellets. This one is specifically what the fish store gave us to help with the colour of the blood parrots. 

I asked a friend who breeds fish and works on aquariums about this today morning and he said it could happen for a lot of reasons the most common one being stress. If the water levels are okay and there isn't anything in the tank raising the ammonia level, coupled with the other parrot getting better, then its just stress and it will get better with time. The biggest help you can be to the fish is to give them hiding spots (which you have) to reduce stress and test the water things will be just fine. You can also keep the water fresh with a 35% displacement but you also said your friend is coming over to give you the low-down on the tank so I'd wait to hear from him first before doing anything else chances are they are just getting used to the new surroundings and the stress elevated in the process.

• Upvote 2