talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

What stat is it? It's showing blank on my phone :what:

6 goals conceded.

Alisson and VVD will take most of the plaudits. And rightly so, VVD is absolutely incredible. Aside from being ridiculously talented, he’s brought leadership and confidence to our back 4. Alisson has as well, and has shown astonishingly safe hands and great distribution and has this season already helped us win points and get to the CL.

But I think this season Andy Robertson, Joe Gomez, and TAA deserve big praise this season. Andy Robertson is so fucking good I don’t know how we got him for so cheap. And yesterday both he and Trent created a ridiculous amount of chances from the fullback position, so they’re making contributions at the back and going forward. And when I say ridiculous I mean I remember more chances created by individual fullbacks of ours than I remember Napoli creating the entirety of the match (which again says something about our defense).

Last season everyone said it: Liverpool need to learn how to grind out wins. We’ve done that a few times now this season, looks like we’re learning.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

What stat is it? It's showing blank on my phone :what:

Liverpool's defensive record after 16 games by comparison to past Premier League clubs with great defensive stats since 1971 which was pre-professional football back then and shouldn't really be counted.

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

6 goals conceded.

Alisson and VVD will take most of the plaudits. And rightly so, VVD is absolutely incredible. Aside from being ridiculously talented, he’s brought leadership and confidence to our back 4. Alisson has as well, and has shown astonishingly safe hands and great distribution and has this season already helped us win points and get to the CL.

But I think this season Andy Robertson, Joe Gomez, and TAA deserve big praise this season. Andy Robertson is so fucking good I don’t know how we got him for so cheap. And yesterday both he and Trent created a ridiculous amount of chances from the fullback position, so they’re making contributions at the back and going forward. And when I say ridiculous I mean I remember more chances created by individual fullbacks of ours than I remember Napoli creating the entirety of the match (which again says something about our defense).

Last season everyone said it: Liverpool need to learn how to grind out wins. We’ve done that a few times now this season, looks like we’re learning.

On a night when the striking line wasn't doing well, in the past, you'd expect a loss or a draw. But yesterday, credit where its due because Matip was also very good. Some of the interceptions and the presence of mind to push the ball upfield was very what you'd expect from him and he delivered. I think we can all say the biggest influence there is VVD and how he commands the back line. Couple that with Alisson and you've got a great combination that works very well together. Once Gomez is back we will have enough rotational ability at the back to give rest to our key players should they need it too. Having Dejan back is definitely a plus in this period.

Edited by Mel81x

12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That Terry/Carvalho/Makelele Spine was a thing of beauty. 

Indeed. It was an event whenever Chelsea conceded a goal back then.

Going off topic but Carvalho is probably my favourite center back ever. Rare for a center back to play with such elegance. Tough tackling but with the just the right amount of aggressiveness. His relaxed body language and seemingly weak physique I think caught attackers off guard which worked as an advantage for him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

On a night when the striking line wasn't doing well, in the past, you'd expect a loss or a draw. But yesterday, credit where its due because Matip was also very good. Some of the interceptions and the presence of mind to push the ball upfield was very what you'd expect from him and he delivered. I think we can all say the biggest influence there is VVD and how he commands the back line. Couple that with Alisson and you've got a great combination that works very well together. Once Gomez is back we will have enough rotational ability at the back to give rest to our key players should they need it too. Having Dejan back is definitely a plus in this period.

Yeah hopefully the knock to Trent’s foot doesn’t mean he’ll miss time

Just now, Machado said:

Indeed. It was an event whenever Chelsea conceded a goal back then.

Going off topic but Carvalho is probably my favourite center back ever. Rare for a center back to play with such elegance. Tough tackling but with the just the right amount of aggressiveness. His relaxed body language and seemingly weak physique I think caught attackers off guard which worked as an advantage for him.

15 goals conceded that season. Took an Anelka goal to prevent us from going unbeaten in the league. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah hopefully the knock to Trent’s foot doesn’t mean he’ll miss time

I'll say it now. We just can't catch a break and on a weekend where we're meeting a team I really want us to trash just because the media outburst post that will be priceless.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I'll say it now. We just can't catch a break and on a weekend where we're meeting a team I really want us to trash just because the media outburst post that will be priceless.

At least we've got Fabinho, who's played there before for Monaco and Brazil. And the best English fullback, James Milner.

• Subscriber

Nice read this :ay:

'I celebrate like every football fan!' - blind Liverpool supporter on becoming viral hit

By Alex Bysouth

BBC Sport

2 hours ago | Liverpool

_104770557_mike_bt3.jpg

Mike Kearney has been registered blind since he was seven years old

There was no doubt in Mike Kearney's mind that Liverpool had taken the lead when Anfield erupted on Tuesday night, he just wasn't sure who the scorer was.

The lifelong Liverpool fan was born with sight problems and has been registered blind since he was seven years old.

But while it was Mo Salah who slotted the ball past Napoli goalkeeper David Ospina to ultimately seal Liverpool's passage to the Champions League knockout stages with a 1-0 win, it is Mike's phone that hasn't stopped since.

Nearly three million people have watched a clip on Twitter of his cousin Stephen leaning over to tell him who netted for the Reds, sending the pair's touching exchange viral.

"I'm like every other football fan - it doesn't matter if I can't see clearly, I still celebrate," he told BBC Sport. "It was just relief that we scored."

The 26-year-old, a regular at Anfield, has a degenerative eye condition which has got worse as he has got older.

"I wish I could see more but that doesn't mean I can't form an opinion of my own," he said.

"It's difficult for people that can see to understand, but I think of it as normal to me and I have been like that all my life. It's just the way I watch the game."

Mike admits he has been surprised at the level of interest following the clip being posted, with Salah's involvement meaning even media outlets in Egypt have got in touch.

But it would have been easier for the Liverpudlian to distinguish the scorer had Salah's strike not come at the Anfield Road end of the ground.

"It was very blurry," he added. "Up close at the Kop End I am OK, but further away the ball gets harder to see. It wasn't hard to work out what happened with noise."

Mike used to use the club's live commentary service for blind and partially sighted spectators, but now prefers to immerse himself in the atmosphere.

"It's there if I really want it," he said.

"I like just being involved in the atmosphere and hearing what my cousin thinks - and anyone else, whether it's five rows back and a pleasant comment or not.

"If it's not my cousin Stephen with me then it's other friends, it's just normal for us. I find it weird the reaction. It's nice, but a little bit strange!"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46549613

• Upvote 4

Nice interview with our new goalkeeper. Even has a little (unintentional) dig at Everton while he's at it xD

Times interview:

At the final whistle on Tuesday evening the Anfield air was filled with the simple chant of “Alisson, Alisson, Alisson”. Liverpool’s goalkeeper had, in stoppage time, made an incredible save. If Arkadiusz Milik had scored from close range then Napoli would have progressed to the Champions League last 16 at Liverpool’s expense.

The moment gave me goosebumps. To be a Liverpool supporter and hear your name — just your name — repeated with an intensity saved only for cult heroes is liable to lead to smirking. I smirked. Two days later, Alisson giggled.

It would be fun, I thought, if Alisson met Alyson. “Hello, I’m Alisson,” he says. “I’m Alyson,” I say.

Hilarious. Well, not really, not until The Times photographer asks one of us to lean forward as we try to recreate a still from Alas Smith and Jones. We both lean forward.

“No, not you, Alyson; Alisson,” he says and the Brazil player, in his first one-on-one interview with a British newspaper, roars with laughter as the photography descends into farce.

That save, though. It prompted Jürgen Klopp to say that he would have paid double for Alisson if he had known that the goalkeeper was quite that marvellous, which means, really, that Liverpool have a player worth £112 million rising to £130 million if they win a few trophies this season. If they do win some silverware it will be in large part thanks to the 26-year-old.

Klopp is no fool. There is a time to avoid the hype and a time to fuel it. There were moments — when the club were reliant on either Simon Mignolet or Loris Karius — when doubts bred doubts, when the nervousness in the stands transmitted to the pitch so that the team’s defence possessed an air of fragility, of a mistake waiting to happen.

Part of what makes Alisson so valuable is his aura. Against Napoli he would calmly stoop to collect the ball as the Italian club’s forwards scampered towards him and he would receive gushing applause, not because he had done anything remarkable but because no one inside the stadium expected anything less than for him to execute the simple things properly. Sometimes reliability is quite exquisite.

Presumably, when he made that last-minute save from Milik, Alisson felt as though he had scored the winning goal.

“Definitely that is the case,” Alisson says. “A save at the end of the game is always great and you feel you have contributed to the game. Of course, an important save in the first minute is as important as a save in the last minute but for the fans it’s the closest thing to scoring a goal in the last minute, like we did in the derby against Everton.

“But I only managed to make that save with the help of my team-mates’ contribution and thank God we got the victory.”

He sounds older and wiser than his years and he has heard the Alisson chant before. The fans of Internacional in Porto Alegre would use it but at Roma they adapted a song about the Brazilian angel, which the supporters once used for Aldair, their Brazil centre back who won the 1994 World Cup.

It was last year’s slightly crazy, goal-fuelled Champions League semi-final between Roma and Liverpool that helped Alisson decide to join the Merseyside club. He had already been linked with Klopp’s team and the fans made sure he could tell how much they wanted him. He signed in July and took the No 13 shirt and laughs at the suggestion that he was crazy to
do so.

“It’s an unlucky number in Brazil as well but I’m not superstitious,” he says. “It was the number going spare and the number I chose.”

He does not like to celebrate during a match but the exception came in the home game against Everton this month, when Divock Origi scored the winner in the sixth minute of added time. So delighted was Klopp that he sprinted on to the pitch, heading towards his goalkeeper. All the chat was about Klopp’s ebullience and his subsequent fine but what was going through the head of Alisson as he saw his manager hurtling in his direction?

“It’s hard to explain what was happening,” he says. “It was at the end of the game, I was celebrating. Generally, I prefer not to celebrate too much so I can concentrate on the game and stay level-headed but the goal came at the end of the game so I could let it all out.

“I ran to the middle of the field and did my usual celebrations, pointing to the heavens, thanking God, and then I looked to one side and I saw Jürgen and I thought, ‘What is he doing?’ It was a great moment and I gave him a big hug.

“I appreciate it wasn’t the correct thing to do and he has been punished for that — but it was worth it.”

What does he like most about Klopp? “That. His passion for football, for winning, for doing the right thing. He does the best for the club and the players. Not just the players but all the staff, everyone involved in the football club. He has this passion that he transmits to us that we then take on the field. I believe that is the most important [characteristic] — that and his intelligence.”

The bigger and better the club, the more likely it is that their goalkeeper spends long periods doing nothing much at all. Alisson partly maintains concentration by not celebrating too soon but also by shifting position.

“I constantly look at the ball, wherever it is,” he explains. “If it’s on the left I position myself to the left, if it’s on the right I position myself on the right so if there was a counterattack I would be able to intervene, and I constantly talk to the defenders around me. That’s how I maintain concentration.”

I put this to the test. As we recreate Smith and Jones we engage in a staring contest. Alisson wins. He does not even blink when talking. He does not blink when assessing the visit of Manchester United on Sunday.
Alisson won the staring contest with Alyson and says talking to his defence aids his concentration

“The two clubs I played for previously, Internacional and Roma, they had two major derbies so I’m used to derbies and, worldwide, the Liverpool-United rivalry is well known,” he says. “We were very familiar with it in Brazil, more aware of it than of the Liverpool and Everton rivalry given the size of the two clubs, but knowing about it and experiencing it are two different things. I can’t wait to experience it and some beautiful football.

“The game against Napoli was really special, we had to get a specific result and were pushed on by the supporters. I don’t think Sunday will be any different. It’s a really important game in terms of our aspirations to win the title. We need the win, we will have the support to do that and to continue with our excellent trajectory.”

Alisson is from Novo Hamburgo, which gives him an additional connection to his German manager.

“Novo Hamburgo is a town of German origin and my surname, Becker, is a German name,” he says. “In the south of Brazil it’s predominantly colonised by Germans and Italians and the Portuguese, of course, and in the south we have German and Italian customs.

“The cultural legacy is quite strong there. We have similar food and music and festivities that come from Germany, especially in my town, and they have an Oktoberfest in a neighbouring town.

“My grandparents were German speakers. Over the generations we lost the language but my grandparents didn’t speak Portuguese, just German. It’s great to have the opportunity to visit Germany because it’s our ancestral home and it definitely arouses the interest in our heritage.

“Where we grew up, there is a piece of Germany there.

He is five years younger than his brother, Muriel. I am tempted to say that I have an older sister called Muriel but I resist, mainly because I don’t, but I do point out that there could be some confusion about siblings called Alisson and Muriel and he tells me about a visit to Disney World in Orlando. “We were parking and you had to give your name because it was a rental car and when the security guard came over he referred to me as ‘Princess Alisson’.”

Muriel is a goalkeeper for Belenenses, in Portugal, having also started his career at Internacional.

“He’s had a really important part in my career,” Alisson says. “I admire him both as a person and a professional. He has always been there, I’ve always followed in his footsteps. Without him I might have been able to get here but it would have been much more difficult.

“I would have needed someone else to fill his role of pushing me, advising me and motivating me. My brother and my parents have been the most influential people for my career and success.”

Alisson will fly his brother and parents over for Christmas. It is the only way he will be able to see them, given the intense football schedule in England.

“I already knew about the fixtures before I came here,” he says. “I watched the Premier League over the festive season and [here he does a double take] what? It’s Christmas.

“But I’ll be doing what I love. The family are coming over from Brazil and my brother is coming over from Portugal so I will be able to spend some precious time with them when I get the chance.”

He may treat them to a guitar solo. The Liverpool players have already heard him play but “I’m better as a goalkeeper,” he says.
His guitar hero is John Mayer, the American singer-songwriter, and he laughs at the thought that Mayer may want to meet him. “I don’t think he’s a football fan.”

As far as football fans are concerned, especially those of his new club, Alisson is fast becoming the most coveted goalkeeper in England. Liverpool have a tradition of cherishing good keepers and the Brazilian has set a club record by avoiding defeat in his first 16 league games. It has made fans go misty-eyed, thinking back to the days of Ray Clemence and Bruce Grobbelaar.

“I think it’s too early for this,” he says. “Obviously, I’m really happy with all the love I’m receiving from the fans and the due recognition, which means I’m doing things right on the field, but Liverpool have always had
great goalkeepers.

“People talk about Pepe Reina, how the fans held him in high esteem, the staff here remember him fondly.

“So, I’m happy with the recognition and the love received but I have so much more to offer, to contribute to Liverpool.”

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Robertson is immense, I'm so glad we have him. Great news to have tied him down for the foreseeable future.

Best thing about it is that he is absolutely over the moon to be playing for us. He's our LB for the next 6 - 8 years or so. 

He's actually my favourite player currently. 

• Subscriber

Andy plays every game like its his last and I think that comes from the fact that the guy at one point was in a dead-end job and didn't think he was going anywhere. Then all this happened and I think that he developed a work ethic that makes him think that he is privileged to be part of a team and a sport that he always wanted to be in. His display on the pitch is a clear reflection of how much he loves the sport and where he has come from.

In a realm where you have muppets downing tools and starting feuds with managers (yes Pogba that's you) just because you've achieved something its refreshing to see a player that works hard every single time and leaves his best on the pitch. I don't think he even cares who he is up against he treats them the same.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Andy plays every game like its his last and I think that comes from the fact that the guy at one point was in a dead-end job and didn't think he was going anywhere. Then all this happened and I think that he developed a work ethic that makes him think that he is privileged to be part of a team and a sport that he always wanted to be in. His display on the pitch is a clear reflection of how much he loves the sport and where he has come from.

In a realm where you have muppets downing tools and starting feuds with managers (yes Pogba that's you) just because you've achieved something its refreshing to see a player that works hard every single time and leaves his best on the pitch. I don't think he even cares who he is up against he treats them the same.

He sorts out however he's up against. I made a thread about him being the best LB in Europe and people laughed. I'm yet to be shown a better player in his position currently. 

19 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He sorts out however he's up against. I made a thread about him being the best LB in Europe and people laughed. I'm yet to be shown a better player in his position currently. 

I've honestly seen some blues say they think Digne is better. Think of thatxD

• Haha 2