talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

25 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think of it this way, what quality player will come in the winter market? The chances are slim to none and most of that business properly concludes in the summer anyways. Its a big risk to take to go out and get a temporary replacement only to have shipped dross out the door and replace it with another shaky player.

I agree with this. I've been critical of the club in the past for not solving problems in January but I do trust them more now since we've seen Klopp's summer windows and I appreciate that he will wait for a player rather than panic and sign an expensive short term replacement.

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Just think it's a needless risk we didn't have to take. 

I see where you're coming from but I agree with the point Klopp made at the time.

"Having Clyney was still okay but he is at an age where he needs to play and wants to play.

"He asked if he could go and I thought about it and said yes because we have other options. You can always keep a player, but to keep him with the right shape or confidence is not always easy, and they have to play more than Clyney did."

Ok he may have played in the FA Cup game but that would have been it. 

• Subscriber

Liverpool's right back Trent Alexander-Arnold is set to miss the next four league games due to a knee ligament injury.

The 20-year-old hurt his knee during the warm-up before Liverpool's 1-0 weekend win away at Brighton, however, he went on to complete the 90 minutes after a tentative start to the game.

In the aftermath of the game, however, the player complained of continuing discomfort and scans revealed some ligament damage.

Liverpool loaned Nathaniel Clyne to Bournemouth early in the January transfer window and many fans questioned this decision at the time.

Joe Gomez is himself currently out injured, Dejan Lovren missed the Brighton game through injury and Joel Matip did return as far as the substitutes bench at the weekend.

Liverpool midfielder Fabinho, who has deputised at centre-back for the past two games, could fill in at right-back if required as could James Milner.

https://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2019/trent-alexander-arnold-faces-a-month-out-with-injury/

28 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Used to be a time we couldn't tie down our best players and now we've managed to do it quite successfully. Progress? I'd like to think so.

I think it's a combination of a couple things.

Ian Ayre was great for us on the commercial side of things... not so great for the development of our football club though. Michael Edwards clearly has a knack for the business side of footballing decisions though, and him being given the authority to handle these without having to defer too much to manager's input (as he found in Rodgers' transfer committees) I think lets us handle the business side of footballing decisions pretty smoothly.

And the other thing is we've now got a side that looks very good, has gradually improved each year, and we've got a manager that our players want to play for and that the fans love. Our pastures look more green than they used to, to our players, rather than them looking at other clubs and wistfully thinking what might happen if they joined another club.

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-long-liverpool-players-left-15696606

Pretty much all of the players we'd like to keep are now tied down into 2023 or 2024. You'd imagine a new deal for Wijnaldum won't be too far away.

Hopefully we can have some success on the pitch which will mean we will be able to keep the bulk of this side together over the next few years

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Trent Alexander-Arnold had “no hesitation” over Liverpool deal with future bright

Liverpool FC News - 19 January 2019

Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold has expressed his delight at signing a new long-term contract with the club.

P181103-075-Arsenal_Liverpool-600x390.jp

The deal, which is understood to tie Alexander-Arnold to Liverpool until 2024, reflects the remarkable progress the 20-year-old has made since his last contract in 2017.

“I’m ecstatic and really proud,” Alexander-Arnold told the club’s website.

“I feel privileged to have the support and the trust the club has in me to offer me a new deal.

“There was no doubt in my mind to sign and extend the years I have with the club.

“Hopefully we can achieve a lot of success in those years.”

Academy graduate Alexander-Arnold made his Liverpool debut in October 2016 and has since established himself as the Reds’ first-choice right-back.

He made his England debut against Costa Rica last June and was part of Gareth Southgate’s World Cup squad in Russia.

“As soon as they offered the contract, there was no hesitation whatsoever,” added Alexander-Arnold, who has made 67 appearances for Liverpool and scored four goals.

“The thing that made it easiest for me was having the people around me to make sure I was able to focus on football as much as possible and get the deal done as soon as possible.

“That is down to my brother especially, my manager, who took that role and allowed me to focus on football and not get distracted, which is the main thing.

“The last 18 months especially have been very special. Hopefully the next 18 months and even further on than that will be even more special.”

Alexander-Arnold, who joined Liverpool at the age of six, becomes the latest member of Jurgen Klopp’s squad to pledge his future to the club.

Andy Robertson, who agreed fresh terms earlier this week, Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah, Jordan Henderson, Sadio Mane and Joe Gomez have all signed new deals with the Premier League leaders since April 2018.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/01/trent-alexander-arnold-had-no-hesitation-over-liverpool-deal-with-future-bright/

• Subscriber

All good things cost a lot of money': Virgil van Dijk reveals what Jurgen Klopp said to him after £75m move to Liverpool as he praises manager for making players feel 'great'

Virgil van Dijk has given an insight into Jurgen Klopp's famed man management skills and revealed what the Liverpool boss said to him when he joined for £75million. 

The Dutch central defender, who has been sensational since moving to Merseyside, said: 'I remember talking to the manager about the transfer fee ­Liverpool paid for me and he just said, "Listen, all good things cost a lot of money".

'I thought it was a great thing to come out with – and it shows why Jurgen Klopp was one of the main ­reasons I came to this club,' he told the Mirror.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6612171/Virgil-van-Dijk-reveals-Jurgen-Klopp-said-75m-Liverpool.html

On 19/01/2019 at 22:07, LFCMike said:

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-long-liverpool-players-left-15696606

Pretty much all of the players we'd like to keep are now tied down into 2023 or 2024. You'd imagine a new deal for Wijnaldum won't be too far away.

Hopefully we can have some success on the pitch which will mean we will be able to keep the bulk of this side together over the next few years

It's a good time to start these conversations with the players. momentum is with us. 

36 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Just read that Fabinho has picked up a knock from the Palace game now? Wow the curse of injuries really does like following us around.

Yep, hopefully nothing too serious and with no game until 30th he should be ok for then

• Subscriber

It's probably not the best time for this but... what did you lot actually think of Brendan Rodgers? He's favourite to be our next manager and reading between the lines I can see it happening too.

Seems to divide opinion from what I read.

40 minutes ago, Dan said:

It's probably not the best time for this but... what did you lot actually think of Brendan Rodgers? He's favourite to be our next manager and reading between the lines I can see it happening too.

I don’t like him at all tbh. He’s very stubborn even when it’s clear he needs to change tactics up - he believes in his ideals even if it means sacrificing things like defending competently, attacking competently, winning football matches.

Also his personality from his press conferences and that shite documentary make me think he’s a self-absorbed dickhead. He’s fortunate he managed Suarez to make him look better than he is. I also think we would have won the league with any halfway decent manager with Suarez and Sturridge in the year he almost took us to the title, but Rodgers didn’t see the importance in defending competently. And I’ll never forgive him for wasting Stevie’s last year.

He looks great in a league where he’s got the best side by far though. Although I hope Stevie beats him to a league title.

All in all, good luck to you if you get him - I think he’s an overrated dickhead though and I don’t like him at all.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Dan said:

Brendan is an odd-ball if you ask me. He comes out with these weird post-game pressers where he'll blow smoke up everyone's backside with praise even if you've had a shitty game. It's an admirable quality granted but ultimately one that will mean nothing if the results don't back it up. As mentioned above he has a philosophy he won't desert even if its not garnering the results he wants and you're going to need some fantastic players to balance out the pain you'll go through as you'll start to adopt said philosophy. 

I don't know if he'd take up a job in England considering he's doing so well where he's at but I would avoid him if possible. I can't see why you'll can't attract someone like Jardim who has now renounced his move to China and if rumors are to be believed, he wants out and to a new club.

• Subscriber

I bet Miner won't be sending him any Christmas cards xD

James Milner: Liverpool player sent off by his former PE teacher Jon Moss

_105266353_milner_moss_twitter_pic.jpg

A photo of Jon Moss with the football team in which James Milner, holding the ball, played

PE teachers often get credit for kick-starting the careers of sporting stars but James Milner might be not be singing the platitudes of his ex-tutor.

The Liverpool player was sent off against Crystal Palace by referee Jon Moss, who was Milner's PE teacher at Westbrook Lane Primary School in Leeds.

The midfielder, 33, was dismissed late on after picking up a second yellow card for a foul on Wilfried Zaha.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46946865

• Subscriber

Fucking hell xD not exactly the best reviews then. Liverpool mate at work can't stand him either and thinks we could do better (and he normally proper talks us down as well). He apparently fancies it here and to be honest, I can kind of see why, we're pretty established at this level now and I don't think anyone better would go for him.

First choice for me would be an extremely ambitious go for Jardim.