talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Both Manc clubs are utterly obsessed with Liverpool and scousers in general. It always bemuses me that Evertonians ever consider those clubs friends as most of their bile is directed at Liverpool people in general 'bin dippers' etc. While Everton have plenty of their own reasons for despising Liverpool, and there are many good reasons, the wretches from the streets of Manchester are not their friends either and if Everton were ever to become a direct threat they would be on the receiving end of the same shit.

Evertonians only consider them 'friends' though it's not the word I'd use as a mechanic to wind up Reds if they've beaten them or denied them a trophy.

After Liverpool, Man Utd are far and away the most hated club amongst our fanbase. City I don't think anyone's really arsed about either way but they're an odious oil club which have next to nothing to do with Manchester aside from the location.

I do agree with your sentiments though.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Just seen the chanting thing on Twitter. Apparently they've been singing it all season in relation to Liverpool losing the final in Kiev while they won two trophies. The battered in the streets bit seems in poor taste but nothing to do with Sean Cox like some people are apparently making out. It's weird that City even sing songs about Liverpool because they don't have a rivalry amongst the fanbases and even more weird for the players to imitate it, but then footballers are stupid. Who knows.

I've read this a few times and, to be honest, I'm really struggling to see how "Oh it's not about this one lad who got beaten up at the footy, it's about these other guys who got beaten up at the footy" is seen as an acceptable justification

9 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I've read this a few times and, to be honest, I'm really struggling to see how "Oh it's not about this one lad who got beaten up at the footy, it's about these other guys who got beaten up at the footy" is seen as an acceptable justification

Exactly and Man City's statement which basically said this just makes things look worse for them.

1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

Yeah the best defensive I've heard of it is "it's not about Sean Cox, it's about the incident in Kiev where some other thugs with weapons attacked your fans." Oh alright then, it's okay to sing about that I suppose... just because it's a bit less fucked than singing about the same thing happening to someone, because nobody was put into a vegetative state.

City's PR response is shambolic. Basically saying their players glorifying fans getting attacked with weapons & making a Hillsborough slight ("always the victims" - which even Manchester United condemns and apologises for those chants of when we play against them around that time of year... and that's from our actual fucking rivals and when it's a minority group of idiot fans rather than the fucking players) in that song is something that's been imagined (even though there's video of it) and they're not sorry.

But I think the worst thing of that response and the chant, considering they're the City players - so they're professional football players, is their glee at singing "Kompany injured Salah" was completely ignored in their PR response. I can only imagine the outcry if there were a video of our players winning the league and singing a song glorifying Sterling. As I said before, if it's just fans singing stupid shite it's a non-story. There's plenty of morons supporting football clubs all across the world. But the fact it's the fucking players is just a very bad look.

Some of the defenses I've seen of it on social media are pretty appalling. I was told if we'd won the league, we'd be insufferable. I assume that's because we'd probably sing songs about us and be a bunch of dickheads on social media. Now that City have won the league, they're singing songs about us (their fans and players) and being dickheads on social media. Or is it a different standard for Slave Trader FC?

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I'm not saying it's a justification but there's a difference between singing about a non-fatal incident and a fatal one.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm not saying it's a justification but there's a difference between singing about a non-fatal incident and a fatal one.

I know you're not, but plenty of others are offering it as one. You just happened to be the one who posted it on here.

Sean Cox is alive, by the way. Suffered some serious damage, but he's alive

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

I know you're not, but plenty of others are offering it as one. You just happened to be the one who posted it on here.

Sean Cox is alive, by the way. Suffered some serious damage, but he's alive

Ah, to be honest I've just waded in on this one a bit late to the party and just seen a load of aggressive fully formed opinions and can't really be arsed getting involved. Watched the video once and couldn't properly make out what they were saying. My overall takeaway is regardless of how offensive it was it's weird to see title winning players chanting about another team. It would sort of be understandable if it was United they were chanting about having just denied them the league but City and Liverpool shouldn't really spark that sort of reaction.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Evertonians only consider them 'friends' though it's not the word I'd use as a mechanic to wind up Reds if they've beaten them or denied them a trophy.

After Liverpool, Man Utd are far and away the most hated club amongst our fanbase. City I don't think anyone's really arsed about either way but they're an odious oil club which have next to nothing to do with Manchester aside from the location.

I do agree with your sentiments though.

You're an intelligent fella and I wouldn't generalise to all Evertonians, as  think Everton fans are generally sound, but there are are an element who end up agreeing with people who essentially slagging off anyone from Liverpool and not just Liverpool fans. Especially common with Manchester based fans, the 'dippers' stuff, that's aimed at scousers, very bizarrely considering Manchester is equally as impoverished, I'm not saying yiu should support LFC but these mancs aren't your mates. 

Liverpool fc as club and fanbase are very annoying and have a scumbag element but the manc media are trying to hijack it to slag off Liverpool people in general. Everton are the Liverpool team. 'peoples club'... I think they are. 

Edited by The Artful Dodger

• 2 weeks later...

The Lyon president saying that Fekir will be allowed to leave the club this summer. With only 12 months left on his contract we could in theory get him for a good bit less than the 50m agree last summer. Think he could do a job in behind the front three for us. 

16 hours ago, Rick said:

The Lyon president saying that Fekir will be allowed to leave the club this summer. With only 12 months left on his contract we could in theory get him for a good bit less than the 50m agree last summer. Think he could do a job in behind the front three for us. 

He failed a medical and was deemed a big injury risk because of his knee, I don’t think we’ll go for him again. Sturridge has got FSG concerned about giving massive wages to someone who’s injury prone.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He failed a medical and was deemed a big injury risk because of his knee, I don’t think we’ll go for him again. Sturridge has got FSG concerned about giving massive wages to someone who’s injury prone.

I'd be really interested to know how many games he missed due to injury this season.

I'd also question whether the year we just had, and back to back Champions league finals changes our aspirations of the players we want to bring in.

Perhaps rather than looking for a backup there's instead a player available that would put serious pressure on Firmino for a starting place?

4 hours ago, Harry said:

I'd be really interested to know how many games he missed due to injury this season.

I'd also question whether the year we just had, and back to back Champions league finals changes our aspirations of the players we want to bring in.

Perhaps rather than looking for a backup there's instead a player available that would put serious pressure on Firmino for a starting place?

I think it's already been said that this isn't going to be a big spending window for Liverpool. So I doubt we're going to be spending the sort of money required to possibly replace Firmino.

• Subscriber

I dont think Fekir would be Firmino's replacement in any event. I remember when this whole transfer went down the first time that they were asking for some exorbitant fee for him and the only reason he's probably caving (Lyon's President) is because a year is left and Fekir won't sign a new contract. I dont think we'll ever go near him again and tbh we shouldn't even bother. I'd rather we spent a little time at Ajax and got some more midfield rotational expertise as I think there's a better chance of getting someone world-class from there versus chasing something that has sailed.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I think it's already been said that this isn't going to be a big spending window for Liverpool. So I doubt we're going to be spending the sort of money required to possibly replace Firmino.

I'd think one key player is still in the ballpark of a small summer. The squad up front is threadbare and I don't think Klopp can expect the 4 players we have for the front three to four with the same intensity every single year. Like City we need a diverse and strong bench player in every position.

Fekir played 39 games last season. As a quality player who can improve our squad I think he'd be a great addition. This summer might be "small" compared to last summer but we still need improvements. This squad isnt likely to repeat this season in the league, while City have the resources to improve an already bloated squad. We need to keep up, and that means buying the top quality.

56 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'd think one key player is still in the ballpark of a small summer. The squad up front is threadbare and I don't think Klopp can expect the 4 players we have for the front three to four with the same intensity every single year. Like City we need a diverse and strong bench player in every position.

We definitely need more depth there I agree. Someone who could come in and play in any of the front three positions would be ideal. Liverpool would have a tough time convincing a player they would be coming in as a direct replacement for Firmino though.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

We definitely need more depth there I agree. Someone who could come in and play in any of the front three positions would be ideal. Liverpool would have a tough time convincing a player they would be coming in as a direct replacement for Firmino though.

Doubt we'd have a hard time getting an out and out striker to come join us tbh. We miss that in situations where our play dictates a focal point of attack since our two top-scorers are really wingers who come inwards.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Doubt we'd have a hard time getting an out and out striker to come join us tbh. We miss that in situations where our play dictates a focal point of attack since our two top-scorers are really wingers who come inwards.

Well I suppose it depends on the sort of level of player you have in mind and what stage of their career they're at. If Firmino is fit, he starts. So convincing a top player who only plays centrally that he'll be getting games ahead of Firmino won't be easy. Given that Mane has been very good centrally too when he's stepped in there I don't see the need for this 'out and out striker' that people have been talking about for the last 3 years. 

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Well I suppose it depends on the sort of level of player you have in mind and what stage of their career they're at. If Firmino is fit, he starts. So convincing a top player who only plays centrally that he'll be getting games ahead of Firmino won't be easy. Given that Mane has been very good centrally too when he's stepped in there I don't see the need for this 'out and out striker' that people have been talking about for the last 3 years. 

It offers an other dimension to the attack. Take Origi as an example and him coming on, while I like the guy and I think he could evolve into the role his coming on has changed the way we approach games. Its never going to be a replacement for Firmino or Mane in the more solidified attack system but giving teams more than what we have to think about isn't a bad thing imo. 

Just now, Mel81x said:

It offers an other dimension to the attack. Take Origi as an example and him coming on, while I like the guy and I think he could evolve into the role his coming on has changed the way we approach games. Its never going to be a replacement for Firmino or Mane in the more solidified attack system but giving teams more than what we have to think about isn't a bad thing imo. 

I agree. We're more likely to see an up and coming player signed who are on a similar level to say Mane was before he joined in 2016 and can be developed rather than a ready made one

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I agree. We're more likely to see an up and coming player signed who are on a similar level to say Mane was before he joined in 2016 and can be developed rather than a ready made one

I'm expecting this as well. But we need to capitalise on where we are at right now imo. A top 4 team in Europe and a consistent Champions league threat - we should look to cement that by bringing in the talent that is most highly sought after and only available to those select few clubs. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I'm expecting this as well. But we need to capitalise on where we are at right now imo. A top 4 team in Europe and a consistent Champions league threat - we should look to cement that by bringing in the talent that is most highly sought after and only available to those select few clubs. 

Not necessarily. We made a lot of high profile and highly expensive signings last season, some of which took time to settle.

This season we will have Kieta and Fabinho up to speed and also Ox returning. 

Keeping a good, settled side together can be a good thing, without having to spend for spending sake.

I'm anticipating a steady transfer window with most of our business being offloading deadwood, with a couple of fringe players being brought in.