talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

The difference in Matip compared to a year or so ago is unreal. He always seemed so timid for a CB who's about 6 foot 5 but he's been immense since he got back into the side earlier in the year

I'd say hes been our best CB this season so far. Not bad for a freebie. 

Shout out to Adrian as well. Another great piece of business by us. Sell Mignolet for £9m, bring in Adrian for free... clear upgrade on our second keeper. 

Edward's is so good its untrue. 

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.615a5e892ce5245adfe4ef2911d582b7.png

Joel Matip: Liverpool defender was one of Jurgen Klopp's 'best pieces of business'

The signing of defender Joel Matip is "one of the best pieces of business" Liverpool have done in the past few years, says Reds boss Jurgen Klopp.

The 28-year-old centre-back joined the club on a free in 2016 after his deal with German club Schalke expired.

Klopp's signings also include Virgil van Dijk for £75m and goalkeeper Alisson in a deal worth up to £66.8m.

"In a world of big transfer fees, to sign a player like Joel Matip on a free transfer is incredible," said Klopp.

"It was maybe one of the best pieces of business we did in the last few years."

Since 19 January, Cameroon international Matip has partnered Van Dijk in central defence in all but six matches, across all competitions.

He is currently being picked ahead of England defender Joe Gomez and Croatia international Dejan Lovren.

"Joel was always an incredible talent. He played as an 18-year-old boy for Schalke in the Bundesliga," added Klopp, whose side are top of the Premier League with a 100% record going into Saturday's game at Sheffield United.

"It's a strong league and he played there, and was always a standout player, a fixed point in defence.

"Yes, he lacked a little bit of consistency - that can happen, especially with his physical stature.

"He doesn't always look sensational when he moves. But he grew and developed.

"Joel is in a really good moment and long may it continue."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49854788

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Not going to lie. He started off a bit ropey. But ever since he’s been partnered with Van Dijk it’s instantly made him a better defender. Going to be very hard for Gomez to pry him from the starting 11 as things stand. 

I do rate Matip but not as someone that will go down as one of the best Cb's in the league. Probably because I'll never be entirely convinced he should be ahead of gomez.

I still don't feel we've been as strong defensively as we were at the start of last season with VVD and Gomez before his injury. Obviously alisson missing disrupts it now but I still felt Gomez was more complimentary to VVD and it had the potential to go down as one of the great CB pairings

44 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Since the name of the club itself cant generate enough revenue to be a top ten team when it comes to value (46 last time I checked) Nike has opted for James, Drake, and Serena Williams to pick up the slack for liverpool 😂😂😂😂

Keep not checking for a few more years so you can keep voting outdated figures

1 hour ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Matip is also a better footballer than he gets credit for, I like his ability to bring the ball out from the back and start attacks. One of the better free transfers ever.

Who do you think our best free transfer ever is? Gary Mac? That was a good one. Milner and Matip are up there though - but I’d probably say Milner’s our best free transfer ever.

He’s got to be at least 34 but I still want him to sign an extension like Matip’s just done.