talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

50 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think they'll both be miraculously fine. 

Hopefully, not sure about Salah though. Been struggling with that ankle for a few weeks. He also missed Egypt's last two games and then missed United away after the last international break

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think hes got a point to be fair. Its mans game and scuffles will happen. 

There's a scuffle on the pitch when you've just been cleaned out, and there's physically and verbally assaulting someone, unprovoked, in the canteen because you're still salty about a loss. No man behaves like that

Bit weird how all the coverage of this has been "poor old Raheem". Wonder why that could be 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Bit weird how all the coverage of this has been "poor old Raheem".

Probably media (if that's who you mean) trying to win back some pride after all the shite they've given him for several years? They've got a lot more to do than that though...

If you mean anyone on here - I still think it's been blown out of proportion and it's not just 'poor Raheem'. Wouldn't say its entirely unprovoked, either, given the coming together from Sunday's game between the two. Can't remember about others but I like the way Gomez was quick to put a stop to it and shake hands with him. So no, it's not just poor Raheem...

I mentioned in the England thread, we have absolutely no idea what was fully said between the two players in the immediate lead up to the altercation, do we? 

If the person that was actually involved on the end of Sterling's behaviour can draw a line under it so quickly, why can't everyone else? Why does there have to be such a big deal over something that lasted for such a very short time? It's been exaggerated purely because it was leaked - and I would love to know where or how it was leaked. Maybe someone working at the canteen, maybe even a player or staff member. Who knows?

22 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

There's a scuffle on the pitch when you've just been cleaned out, and there's physically and verbally assaulting someone, unprovoked, in the canteen because you're still salty about a loss. No man behaves like that

Bit weird how all the coverage of this has been "poor old Raheem". Wonder why that could be 

I've not read about 'poor old Raheem' at all. In fact just the opposite. Hes a tit, a little shithouse. I just think Ferdinand had a point saying it should have been dealt with in house that's all.

28 minutes ago, Stan said:

Probably media (if that's who you mean) trying to win back some pride after all the shite they've given him for several years? They've got a lot more to do than that though...

Yeah, I do mean them. I think they've been pretty desperate to back him at every opportunity to come out on the right side of the Sterling vs Daily Mail thing. He deserves praise, of course he does, but it's also led to some quite silly takes.

Also because the Manchester and London-based media hate Liverpool

17 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I've not read about 'poor old Raheem' at all. In fact just the opposite. Hes a tit, a little shithouse. I just think Ferdinand had a point saying it should have been dealt with in house that's all.

"Now Sterling is forced to defend himself from keyboard warriors" for acting like a child and doing something clearly unacceptable. Poor old Raheem

I don't think Southgate dictated that it be leaked to the media, to be fair.

4 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Yeah, I do mean them. I think they've been pretty desperate to back him at every opportunity to come out on the right side of the Sterling vs Daily Mail thing. He deserves praise, of course he does, but it's also led to some quite silly takes.

Also because the Manchester and London-based media hate Liverpool

"Now Sterling is forced to defend himself from keyboard warriors" for acting like a child and doing something clearly unacceptable. Poor old Raheem

I don't think Southgate dictated that it be leaked to the media, to be fair.

Fair enough. I just think it's being made out to be much worse than it was. A storm in a teacup. Much worse things happen in dressing rooms between players that never gets reported. 

Sterling is still a tit though. 

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Fair enough. I just think it's being made out to be much worse than it was. A storm in a teacup. Much worse things happen in dressing rooms between players that never gets reported. 

Sterling is still a tit though. 

To be fair I think bringing some public heat down on Raheem for squad disunity is maybe a good thing for England in the longer term future. A strong signal to future players that they should leave those club disputes at the door to the England training camp.

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

To be fair I think bringing some public heat down on Raheem for squad disunity is maybe a good thing for England in the longer term future. A strong signal to future players that they should leave those club disputes at the door to the England training camp.

We then every little spat should be made public, then it can be eradicated from football altogether? 

Raheem is a total dickead, everyone knows that. But I just think this could have all been handled behind closed doors.

Getting somebody by the neck in a threatening manner shouldn’t be just swept under the rug. It was, by the sounds of all reports, an unprovoked ‘attack’ and the clown should be punished public ally like he has. I agree with Southgate making an example of him. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

My housemate said Gomez has a cut above his eye, is that true? If so I have no sympathy for Sterling at all if it went that far. You can always question whether these things should be dealt with in house or publicly, but if Gomez has physical signs of a scrap, people are going to notice Sterling isn't in the side for Montenegro, and with the amount of people who know England players, staff or people who work at St Thingy Park, it's going to get out so maybe it's the best thing that Southgate has just owned up to it and given the full story outright instead of allowing the newspapers and social media to speculate and make things sound even worse.

Going back to Sterling though, yes you have to accept that these things happen between young men who happen to be super-competitive athletes, but there also has to be consequences if you bust your team-mate's forehead open or whatever he's done.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

My housemate said Gomez has a cut above his eye, is that true? If so I have no sympathy for Sterling at all if it went that far. You can always question whether these things should be dealt with in house or publicly, but if Gomez has physical signs of a scrap, people are going to notice Sterling isn't in the side for Montenegro, and with the amount of people who know England players, staff or people who work at St Thingy Park, it's going to get out so maybe it's the best thing that Southgate has just owned up to it and given the full story outright instead of allowing the newspapers and social media to speculate and make things sound even worse.

Going back to Sterling though, yes you have to accept that these things happen between young men who happen to be super-competitive athletes, but there also has to be consequences if you bust your team-mate's forehead open or whatever he's done.

10 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It was scratch, nothing serious. Let's face it, unless Sterling is a highly trained black belt in martial arts on the sly, it's highly unlikely he'd be able to do any damage to Gomez.

Further to that, I think it's been concluded that the cut in question was actually from another player when they were trying to separate Sterling & Gomez.

As TAD says, just a scratch.

Still think it's being blown well out of proportion.

MSM love when England do shite. They lap it up like there's no tomorrow. This minor incident plays right in to their hands.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Stan said:

Further to that, I think it's been concluded that the cut in question was actually from another player when they were trying to separate Sterling & Gomez.

As TAD says, just a scratch.

Still think it's being blown well out of proportion.

MSM love when England do shite. They lap it up like there's no tomorrow. This minor incident plays right in to their hands.

I don't think it needs to be a massive deal but if two players have carried a club-related spat into the national side then it also isn't a non-issue. This isn't something that just happens all the time, usually footballers are absolutely professional about separating their club priorities from their international priorities. I can't actually think of another time this has happened off the top of my head. So yeah, if it's been resolved by both men and the manager then we shouldn't keep pushing for further detail or drag it out and make it a bigger thing than it is, but it's still up for discussion, it's quite significant in my opinion.

Tbh I don't know why it's being called a fight or a scrap. All the accounts of it online are that Gomez was minding his own business and Sterling grabs at him and tries to put him in a headlock, scratching him in the process. And rather than escalate, Gomez backs away two or 3 times as Sterling has to be physically held back from following Gomez. That's a not really a fight, because nobody is fighting back. It's just an important member of the England side lashing out at a younger player, that's trying to establish his international career, just because he was pissed off about what happened over the weekend in the league.

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh I don't know why it's being called a fight or a scrap. All the accounts of it online are that Gomez was minding his own business and Sterling grabs at him and tries to put him in a headlock, scratching him in the process. And rather than escalate, Gomez backs away two or 3 times as Sterling has to be physically held back from following Gomez. That's a not really a fight, because nobody is fighting back. It's just an important member of the England side lashing out at a younger player, that's trying to establish his international career, just because he was pissed off about what happened over the weekend in the league.

That's one way of spinning it!

Not seen any reports of a headlock. The scratch didn't come from Sterling. 

It's not like Sterling has stopped Gomez' international career either so that can be nipped in the budxD 

Gomez has done well not to retaliate as many others I think would have, and wanted to assert their own authority.

I know you Liverpool lads don't like Sterling but think you need to just put that to the side temporarily...

22 minutes ago, Stan said:

That's one way of spinning it!

Not seen any reports of a headlock. The scratch didn't come from Sterling. 

It's not like Sterling has stopped Gomez' international career either so that can be nipped in the budxD 

Gomez has done well not to retaliate as many others I think would have, and wanted to assert their own authority.

I know you Liverpool lads don't like Sterling but think you need to just put that to the side temporarily...

The scratch did come from Sterling - have you seen it? You're not getting a scratch like that from being separated from a scrap. Also none of the stories I've read about that have said anything about him getting scratched while separated.

znyxxjqblgy31.jpg

Especially a scrap where the reports are he was just backing away and the only person that needed to be kept away was the aggressor. Seems like Mr. Anti-Racism But I Take Money From Slave Owners is alright with bullying younger members of the England squad if they've upset him in some way (like winning).

And apparently that's okay if you're a world class player.

Sterling obviously cant take all the abuse when ever he visits anfield, To be fair to him on Sunday he had the best game he's ever had against Liverpool since he fucked off for the money. But squaring up to somebody for a fight in training over losing a game is just ridiculous for a professional to do. I will defend him a little bit as it was only a day after the game and emotions were obviously still raw.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The scratch did come from Sterling - have you seen it? You're not getting a scratch like that from being separated from a scrap. Also none of the stories I've read about that have said anything about him getting scratched while separated.

Especially a scrap where the reports are he was just backing away and the only person that needed to be kept away was the aggressor. Seems like Mr. Anti-Racism But I Take Money From Slave Owners is alright with bullying younger members of the England squad if they've upset him in some way (like winning).

And apparently that's okay if you're a world class player.

It is understood that the scratch that was later apparent under Gomez’s right eye during Monday’s training session could have come from one of those trying to separate the two. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/12/england-teammates-raheem-sterling-joe-gomez-came-blows-steps/

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

This isn't something that just happens all the time, usually footballers are absolutely professional about separating their club priorities from their international priorities

I couldn't think of anything on this level but Neville, Lampard, Ferdinand have all said either before or after this latest incident that club rivalries can affect the England side when they meet up for international duty. 

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

It is understood that the scratch that was later apparent under Gomez’s right eye during Monday’s training session could have come from one of those trying to separate the two. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/12/england-teammates-raheem-sterling-joe-gomez-came-blows-steps/

I couldn't think of anything on this level but Neville, Lampard, Ferdinand have all said either before or after this latest incident that club rivalries can affect the England side when they meet up for international duty. 

That says could. Meaning it could be true or it could be bullshit. Given that every account I’ve seen of this says one person walked away while the other was aggressive, it begs the question why he’s have to be pulled away by his face? 

And taking the “golden generation’s” stance on this really doesn’t account for how we had great defenders, a great group of midfielders, and a Rooney yet did fuck all with it because they never had any team chemistry with them. Maybe if they’d been able to separate club football from the international side they’d have achieved something.

And since this side has already looked like it might achieve more on the international stage we should maybe learn from the mistakes of before, rather than repeat them.

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Stan said:

Yeah, to be fair though I don't know how comparative it is. There you had a generation of lads who were pretty much born and bred one club men in the England squad. Neville, Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard, Carragher, Terry, Lampard. Gomez and Sterling don't quite have the same affinity to their clubs but I suppose the overall point stands.