talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I certainly don't remember saying that clean sheets are overrated! xD My point was always that Liverpool were still defending well as a unit generally. Yes there was a couple of games where they gave teams opportunities to get back into games (Southampton away springs to mind in particular in being a nervy ending). I think some of our least assured defensive displays came in Europe earlier in the season though.

The original post wasn't aimed at you or indeed any of the reds on here by the way. You seemed a little defensive with that post! xD

No not at all mate, your post just reminded me of the discussion a few of us had at the time regarding our defending that's all. 

Maybe wasnt you who said clean sheets were overrated btw?! Someone on here definitely said it though :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.9014ecd68dbd49a6b04fbdeeb4e262a6.png

Liverpool have opened talks with Netherlands midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum, 29, about extending his contract, which expires in the summer of 2021. (Athletic, via Express)

Great if he renews. The complete player, can play almost anywhere to a high standard. Hes played number 6, number 8, in the front 3 and even at CB. 

Very underatted by some.

54 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Great if he renews. The complete player, can play almost anywhere to a high standard. Hes played number 6, number 8, in the front 3 and even at CB. 

Very underatted by some.

If we'd signed him for 100m people would be talking about him as one of the best in the world. But because he (and most of our midfielders) were recruited for a great value price they just don't seem to get much credit relative to the defence and forward 3.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Doubt it. Far more feasible for Sané to leave City than Firminho leave Liverpool at present.

Will they pay the 130million though :what:  ..and Sane has not once said he wants to leave. his mum's home sick who's out here with him but don't think Leroy is so keen

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Expansion of Anfield Rd End (making Anfields capacity around 61'112k) to be completed withing 2 - 2 1/2 years along with the completion of the new merged training ground. 

FSG out :ph34r:

Don’t forget what the liverpook fans did to keep them honest. When they proposed all those posh tickets and your match going fans walked out and they shat it. They would love to be just making pure dough off (well more than they are) your fans but they know there is still a decent core who oppose the total Americanisation of Liverpool. 

Edited by The Artful Dodger
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Anyway anything less than 70k is small for Liverpool. Shouldn’t be slumming it with far, far smaller clubs like spurs and arsenal.

All owners are 'in it for the money' mate. We could do far far worse than FSG, even if they aren't perfect. I've said that from the very start of their reign. 

The merging of Kirkby and Melwood training facilities, bringing the first and youth players together at Klopps request abta cost of over £50m is another example of the good they've done for the club. 

As I say, not perfect, but certainly one of the better ownerships compared to some/most of the other big clubs in England. 

The American owners previous to FSG though.... different kettle of fish altogether. 

Edited by LFCMadLad
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Don’t forget what the liverpook fans did to keep them honest. When they proposed all those posh tickets and your match going fans walked out and they shat it. They would love to be just making pure dough off (well more than they are) your fans but they know there is still a decent core who oppose the total Americanisation of Liverpool. 

They certainly learnt a big lesson that day and I don't think it's ridiculous to say that the current Liverpool as a club (players, fans, manager) moulded in Klopp's image wouldn't exist now had they not listened. The fan base was so split back then. Now it's never been more together. It's all down to Klopp but his job would have been made much harder had the fans been at odds with the owners.

They've not made many mistakes since but the trademarking controversy shows the importance of a couple of groups like SOS and the Spion Kop lads. Keeping them honest like you say

• Like 1

• Subscriber

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/17/liverpool-todd-cantwell-transfer-manchester-united-man-utd-tottenham-12254551/

I like Todd, think hes a solid player who has a lot of energy and will run the distance too when required. Is he at the level our current players are at? No. But he'll get there if he's given time and integrated. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/17/liverpool-todd-cantwell-transfer-manchester-united-man-utd-tottenham-12254551/

I like Todd, think hes a solid player who has a lot of energy and will run the distance too when required. Is he at the level our current players are at? No. But he'll get there if he's given time and integrated. 

Last season did we sign anyone from a club who'd been relegated? That's sort of the Klopp special, taking a relegated player and getting some good use out of them. I can't see Norwich not going down... so I figure Cantwell could be that kind of player for us.

One thing I like about him is that aside from having a lot of energy, he seemed to be popping up everywhere for Norwich. I think with Salah and Mane going away in January because of ACON next season, players like Minamino and Cantwell, who are versatile do make sense for us to add as squad players.

There's obviously a massive drop off in quality though. And when you compare that kind of squad depth to something like what Manchester Cheatey have got at their disposal... it doesn't look all that great for us in January.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Last season did we sign anyone from a club who'd been relegated? That's sort of the Klopp special, taking a relegated player and getting some good use out of them. I can't see Norwich not going down... so I figure Cantwell could be that kind of player for us.

One thing I like about him is that aside from having a lot of energy, he seemed to be popping up everywhere for Norwich. I think with Salah and Mane going away in January because of ACON next season, players like Minamino and Cantwell, who are versatile do make sense for us to add as squad players.

There's obviously a massive drop off in quality though. And when you compare that kind of squad depth to something like what Manchester Cheatey have got at their disposal... it doesn't look all that great for us in January.

Well he'll have the whole summer and the first half of the season to integrate. Plus, I don't think the club or Klopp are sitting back thinking we'll weather the storm without our two star attackers. I am sure they have some plan for keeping the attack lineup fresh in their absence as well. The problem is how much game time do you give those players and how do you give them that game time to ensure that the team is operating at maximum efficiency when Salah and Mane are out. I think Mino will come good next season he just needs to find his bearings and get more game time. 

• Like 1