talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

A huge relief

I suppose getting greedy is going to be okay once we put the league away as a concern too. The chance to play in all the cup comps we're in and walk away with silverware surely outweighs setting a record for most matches unbeaten? I don't think Klopp even cares for these records.

8 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I suppose getting greedy is going to be okay once we put the league away as a concern too. The chance to play in all the cup comps we're in and walk away with silverware surely outweighs setting a record for most matches unbeaten? I don't think Klopp even cares for these records.

We've set out trying to win every match we play in, with the exception of the aston Villa cup tie and the fa cup replay where we were prepared to just do our best and see what happens. May as well keep it up.

There's a lot of potential honours/records still mathematically possible at this stage. In order of decreasing amount of sweetness to me personally...

League winners

Back to back Champions league winners

Fa cup winners

Undefeated season

Record points total

CL finalist

Record consecutive wins

Perfect home record. 19 from 19

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

The records in the league only become relevant if you're out of the other two competitions. Give me the trophies any day. I think having something to play for in the league could help in the other two cups though. If the league is wrapped up it doesn't mean we have to rest the whole 11 before a Champions League tie for example

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I do hope JK was watching the game at Spurs last night.  The old De La Mere poem is just nearly correct - " I wandered lonely as a cloud , that drifts and roams on fields of green, the ball came to me once or twice, but mostly I was hardly seen" - a typical performance from the scorer who will be remembered for his goal and - as is his normal form these days - little else.  Lowe has not been impressed with his National team performances and without Poulson his goal tally is hardly increasing.  Not at all the sort of person for the Anfield crew to be spending money on - and I have watched him all this and many past seasons.  Nice guy, but........

With Liverpool way ahead on points at the top of the Premier League, I think it's about time they started to prioritise the Champions League and their FA Cup ties. The league is practically sewn up, so I don't see why they don't rest a few key players in some of their league matches. Especially the league matches that take place just before the Champions League and FA Cup games.

Edited by Michael

57 minutes ago, Michael said:

With Liverpool way ahead on points at the top of the Premier League, I think it's about time they started to prioritise the Champions League and their FA Cup ties. The league is practically sewn up, so I don't see why they don't rest a few key players in some of their league matches. Especially the league matches that take place just before the Champions League and FA Cup games.

It all depends on the gap between the league games and the cup tie. Resting too many for too long isn't beneficial either. We play Bournemouth at 12.30 on the Saturday before the second leg v Atletico on the Wednesday. I doubt we'll see more than the usual one or two changes in that particular situation

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It all depends on the gap between the league games and the cup tie. Resting too many for too long isn't beneficial either. We play Bournemouth at 12.30 on the Saturday before the second leg v Atletico on the Wednesday. I doubt we'll see more than the usual one or two changes in that particular situation

I understand that resting players for too long can make a team lose momentum. But I think that Klopp is the best judge to see who is 100% fit and who is a little bit fatigued. I believe that those who are fatigued, should be rested in order to get the best out of them in the Champions League and the FA Cup. As winning the league is almost inevitable for Liverpool, I think that priority now should be focusing on the two knockout competitions that they are in.

Imagine Liverpool winning the Premier League, the Champions League and the FA Cup this season, that's actually something that is very possible if Klopp and Liverpool play their cards right.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LorenaMileusnic said:

I know this isn't related to the topic being talked about, but I wonder what happened to Andre Silva?
He really is a great talent, but he didn't have the opportunity to show it because he made the transfer to failed Milan.
I would really like to see him on a team that is in top form and on a team coached by a world coach like Klopp or Guardiola.
I think even Ronaldo talked about him and his desire to move to Real Madrid.
To me he is a much bigger talent than Jovic and I think he would even be perfect in the English Premier League

He's playing at Frankfurt and he's been pretty impressive recently after a slow start. He's a very talented forward and I am personally delighted he's playing with us. Jovic is a different type of player, I'd say that he is much more direct and more of a finisher. Although he has seemed to struggle since his move to Real Madrid.

Andre Silva is supposed to be on loan with Frankfurt for next season as well. The deal was we took Silva on loan from Milan for 2 years, while Milan took Rebic on loan from Frankfurt for two years. At some point I am sure there will be an agreement as to who buys who. I think that eventually AC Milan will buy Rebic(he's actually doing very well there now) and Frankfurt will probably buy Silva. Anyway, we will have to wait and see what actually happens.

Welcome to this forum by the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael said:

I understand that resting players for too long can make a team lose momentum. But I think that Klopp is the best judge to see who is 100% fit and who is a little bit fatigued. I believe that those who are fatigued, should be rested in order to get the best out of them in the Champions League and the FA Cup. As winning the league is almost inevitable for Liverpool, I think that priority now should be focusing on the two knockout competitions that they are in.

Imagine Liverpool winning the Premier League, the Champions League and the FA Cup this season, that's actually something that is very possible if Klopp and Liverpool play their cards right.

Tbh one thing I’ve noticed under Klopp with us is we always seem to lose momentum after an extended break. I think breaks are necessary for the intensity we use in each match. But you can see after the winter break there’s a bit of rust on the players.

I think we’ll see more rotation in the final stretch,  but I doubt we do a rest of the entire first team.

But yeah, obviously winning the treble would be a really nice way to ensure this season lives on in history for decades. And I’m sure that’s what the team is hoping for.

I think at this point we just need to play our way back into form before we host Atletico at Anfield, when we’re at our best at Anfield I think we can beat anyone. But VVD had his worst match in a Liverpool kit and Fabinho, who at his best is very important for us, hasn’t been at his best since coming back from injury. I think we get a bit of momentum back and we can start thinking about a treble. We’ve got 3 weeks (I think, I can’t remember when the FA cup match is) to keep that dream alive

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh one thing I’ve noticed under Klopp with us is we always seem to lose momentum after an extended break. I think breaks are necessary for the intensity we use in each match. But you can see after the winter break there’s a bit of rust on the players.

I think we’ll see more rotation in the final stretch,  but I doubt we do a rest of the entire first team.

But yeah, obviously winning the treble would be a really nice way to ensure this season lives on in history for decades. And I’m sure that’s what the team is hoping for.

I think at this point we just need to play our way back into form before we host Atletico at Anfield, when we’re at our best at Anfield I think we can beat anyone. But VVD had his worst match in a Liverpool kit and Fabinho, who at his best is very important for us, hasn’t been at his best since coming back from injury. I think we get a bit of momentum back and we can start thinking about a treble. We’ve got 3 weeks (I think, I can’t remember when the FA cup match is) to keep that dream alive

The FA Cup game is in about two weeks time.

The situation with the Atletico Madrid match is that Liverpool need to win by two goals. But when Atletico play at Anfield, they are just going to park the bus and look to counter on occasion when they see that Liverpool have left spaces at the back. One Atletico away goal and it will make Liverpool's task that much harder. I just hope that Liverpool score early, or at least in the first half as that will give them a lot of confidence when they seek the second goal in the second half.

Atletico Madrid are such an annoying side to play against and they are the kind of team that do well in knock-out competitions because of their style of play. As I've mentioned before though, Dortmund did beat them 4-0 last season and Juventus beat them 3-0. So Liverpool should take some confidence in that fact. But it will take a big performance from Liverpool to deliver the result that they need.

8 minutes ago, Michael said:

The FA Cup game is in about two weeks time.

The situation with the Atletico Madrid match is that Liverpool need to win by two goals. But when Atletico play at Anfield, they are just going to park the bus and look to counter on occasion when they see that Liverpool have left spaces at the back. One Atletico away goal and it will make Liverpool's task that much harder. I just hope that Liverpool score early, or at least in the first half as that will give them a lot of confidence when they seek the second goal in the second half.

Atletico Madrid are such an annoying side to play against and they are the kind of team that do well in knock-out competitions because of their style of play. As I've mentioned before though, Dortmund did beat them 4-0 last season and Juventus beat them 3-0. So Liverpool should take some confidence in that fact. But it will take a big performance from Liverpool to deliver the result that they need.

They’re easily the most annoying side I’ve ever seen us play, ever. I’ve never witnessed such shithousery.

• Subscriber

image.thumb.png.b76f49684c488e0b72744e15e489c06e.png 

Thats our fixture list before the CL game and a lot of those games can be used to get people up to the level they could be operating at. I can't see Klopp resting too many players in the game before the CL match honestly. 

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-51580401

The letter from Klopp

A young Manchester United fan who made a bid to stop Liverpool winning the title has been left shocked after Jurgen Klopp sent him a personal reply.

Daragh Curley, from County Donegal, wrote to the Liverpool boss for a school assignment.

The 10-year-old asked if it would be possible for Liverpool to lose some games so they would not win the league.

Klopp wrote back, praising Daragh's passion, but explaining Liverpool could not drop points on his behalf.

Daragh's dad Gordon told BBC News NI that while most of his classmates were writing fan letters, Daragh instead decided to write a letter of complaint to the Liverpool boss.

In the letter, the Glenswilly National School pupil wrote: "Liverpool are winning too many games. If you win nine more games then you have the best unbeaten run in English football. Being a United fan that is very sad.

"So the next time Liverpool play, please make them lose. You should just let the other team score. I hope I have convinced you to not win the league or any other match ever again."

Mr Curley said he was shocked when a reply came.

"My wife Tricia was up in the local post office/shop and she was told that there was a registered letter there for Daragh Curley," he said.

"She was wondering who would be sending Daragh a registered letter, but when she mentioned it to Daragh he said 'oh it's Jurgen Klopp'.

"And it actually was Jurgen Klopp."

Klopp's Liverpool are on course to win the Premier League and have not lost a league fixture so far this season.

In his letter to Daragh, he said: "Unfortunately, on this occasion I cannot grant your request, not through choice anyway.

"As much as you want Liverpool to lose it is my job to do everything that I can to help Liverpool to win as there are millions of people around the world who want that to happen, so I really do not want to let them down."

"Luckily for you, we have lost games in the past and we will lose games in the future because that is football.

"The problem is when you are 10 years old you think that things will always be as they are now but if there is one thing I can tell you as 52 years old it is that this most definitely isn't the case."

He added that Manchester United were lucky to have Daragh as a fan and praised his passion for football and for his club.

Mr Curley said that Klopp "seems to be an awful, awful decent individual".

"I would be a Man Utd fan myself, it's grating that Liverpool are doing so well, but behind it all you have to respect Klopp and what he's done," Mr Curley said.

"He came across as a nice guy all along, I suppose this letter really confirms to me that he is a decent, decent guy.

"What I love about the letter is that it's about sportsmanship and respect too and I think saying that to a 10-year-old is great."

However, Mr Curley said his admiration for Klopp would not cause either himself or Daragh to switch their allegiances.

"There's reinforcement techniques ongoing just to ensure that there's no swaying from the Man Utd mandate," he said.

• Upvote 2

Is he that big a miss against a team that will just sit deep all game? He's good at playing in balls behind a high or stretched defence, not so much against teams which can defend well and are content to do so. He'll be a bigger miss in your Premier League games, but you should still be alright against the teams you're playing.

Tanner on Firmino: “You should have seen the data that we got on him when he was coming for the first time [to Hoffenheim]. I would say to emphasise that he was even worse than my grandma. You can't imagine."

Tanner told Bleacher Report of his efforts to get the South American on board: “You should have seen the data that we got on him when he was coming for the first time [to Hoffenheim]. In Germany, we usually do these endurance tests, blood ones, which are pretty accurate, you know, and he had the worst numbers I have ever seen in professional football. I would say to emphasise that he was even worse than my grandma. You can't imagine. They were so low that you couldn't even believe that he was ever able to play professional football.

While early questions were asked of Firmino’s fitness, Tanner claims there was never any doubt that he would go on to thrive in European football.

“I was pretty sure that he would be a top Bundesliga player. We do these evaluations in our scouting reports, you know, and I think that out of 10, nine and 10 are international level. And I gave him, I don't know if it was an eight or nine, but I'm sure it was pretty high. Everyone [at Hoffenheim] was a bit curious about that at the time, but I rated him pretty high because I was so convinced about his abilities and even more so by his attitude. When I saw how the coach criticised him [in a training with Figueirense], he was like a schoolboy standing there and listening to his teacher. I still have that picture in my brain. I thought to myself after an hour that if that coach had done that to a German player, he would head straight to the locker room totally pissed off, but Firmino took the criticism well. He tried to improve, to do better. That was really impressive.”

Nothing like a good Brazilian feijoada to be fair :ph34r:

Edited by Machado
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I think the thing I love most about Firmino is that at a time when every elite forward is either monstrously fast, or built like a brick shithouse, he is one of the best few CFs in the world without any serious natural athleticism. 

https://www.goal.com/en/news/firminos-stats-were-worse-than-my-grandma-hoffenheim-took/xwikf4rr4ven14kwyrul3n69c

This makes what you wrote even funnier. xD