talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Matip out for the rest of the season. Far too injury prone isn't he? Very good when fit. Ideally he'd be fourth choice and we upgrade Lovren. Maybe a good opportunity for Hoever to get a go in the next few weeks though

One of the more injury prone players we’ve had since Kewell & Aurelio.

I hope the Lovren Koulibaly swap is real... although there’s no way I can see that happening 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

One of the more injury prone players we’ve had since Kewell & Aurelio.

I hope the Lovren Koulibaly swap is real... although there’s no way I can see that happening 

City bound. Napoli using the funds to get both Gabriel and Oshimen from Lille. Good business from them. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Nah Pep won't aspire for that. 

The source for that is one of the accurate journos for Man City news at the Atheltic. I think as far as transfer speculation goes, you always have to take it with a bit of salt but those itk journos with the good track records are usually right.

And tbf to Ake, he’s one of the few Bournemouth players that still looks like a top flight player this season. Wouldn’t be surprised if he does well at a big club.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The source for that is one of the accurate journos for Man City news at the Atheltic. I think as far as transfer speculation goes, you always have to take it with a bit of salt but those itk journos with the good track records are usually right.

And tbf to Ake, he’s one of the few Bournemouth players that still looks like a top flight player this season. Wouldn’t be surprised if he does well at a big club.

I would categorise him along side Zouma, Stones and Christensen personally. 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I think he is above average. A coup for 8th-5th placed clubs. 

I mean tbh, out of those players you listed... the only one I actually thinks is crap is Stones. And that’s only because his form has massively dropped off - he looked pretty decent at a while for Citeh then he went way out of form. I don’t know why that happened really, but sometimes shit like that just happens.

Christensen’s inconsistent - but isn’t he pretty young? It’s hard to fault a player coming through where experience matters for being inconsistent. I think a leader at the back (in the Terry or VVD mold) would make a better player out of him. Tbh Chelsea should be the ones in for Koulibaly.

Zouma’s a good CB if you put him in a deeper defensive line, imo. Sort of unfortunate for him that he’s come into a Chelsea that want to play a bit more progressive football with a higher line. He’s a bit too slow generally and not the best on the ball for playing like that. I don’t think that necessarily makes him bad.

I’d probably class Ake as around the same boat as Christensen. They’ve got all the raw attributes to be a top CB, they just need the brains of a top CB. Granted, you could’ve said that about Stones before he joined Citeh... so maybe you’re right and it’s not the right move for them. I’d probably rate him a bit higher than Christensen, tbh but maybe that’s because he’s clearly one of the better players on his side.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean tbh, out of those players you listed... the only one I actually thinks is crap is Stones. And that’s only because his form has massively dropped off - he looked pretty decent at a while for Citeh then he went way out of form. I don’t know why that happened really, but sometimes shit like that just happens.

Christensen’s inconsistent - but isn’t he pretty young? It’s hard to fault a player coming through where experience matters for being inconsistent. I think a leader at the back (in the Terry or VVD mold) would make a better player out of him. Tbh Chelsea should be the ones in for Koulibaly.

Zouma’s a good CB if you put him in a deeper defensive line, imo. Sort of unfortunate for him that he’s come into a Chelsea that want to play a bit more progressive football with a higher line. He’s a bit too slow generally and not the best on the ball for playing like that. I don’t think that necessarily makes him bad.

I’d probably class Ake as around the same boat as Christensen. They’ve got all the raw attributes to be a top CB, they just need the brains of a top CB. Granted, you could’ve said that about Stones before he joined Citeh... so maybe you’re right and it’s not the right move for them. I’d probably rate him a bit higher than Christensen, tbh but maybe that’s because he’s clearly one of the better players on his side.

Christensen needs game time to shake off the mistakes he regularly makes when he is in and out of the team. It's hard to give him a permanent spot because he's proven time and time again to be a liability against strong attackers. Against the likes of City/Liverpool/Barca, etc. Small technical players, he does well. 

Zouma out of everyone has proven me wrong. I thought he'd be a liability but he's been our best CB. His distribution on the ball has improved and easily our best natural defender. Tomori still raw and Rudiger still very rash. Needs a Terry esq player next to him but Lampard seems to rate him the highest so we will see how he develops. 

I still think we need a top CB to be genuine title contenders, but we will see how it goes. 

Edited by Cicero

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Henderson’s our for the matches we have left. Glad we’ve already won it, tbh. But I think that’s a massive blow to our hopes of chasing the points record.

Feel really sorry for him. Cant lift the trophy in front of the fans and now cant even play in the game its presented.  such bad luck.

Wasn't long ago most on here were constantly slating him as not being good enough for a club wanting to win things. He is now one of the most successful captains in the clubs history. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Feel really sorry for him. Cant lift the trophy in front of the fans and now cant even play in the game its presented.  such bad luck.

Wasn't long ago most on here were constantly slating him as not being good enough for a club wanting to win things. He is now one of the most successful captains in the clubs history. 

At the time I don't think he was. I think after Gerrard left he went through a period of trying to do everything, like Gerrard used to do. The injuries didn't help either to be fair. He's got back to doing what he's good at though and the improvement over the last couple of years is remarkable. He's really grown into a proper Liverpool captain and I think lifting that first trophy has really helped his development further.

Opinions are allowed to change on players. It's those who have already made their mind up on a player and won't change it no matter what that do my head in. There's someone on an LFC forum I go on who still won't have a bad word said against Rodgers and therefore Joe Allen too. He maintains that there's no difference between Henderson and Allen. Yes, Allen who currently plays for a side fourth bottom of the ChampionshipxD

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

You’ve said this a few times now, and I’d really love to go back in time to see what you, yourself were saying about him during the years that he was struggling here. 

He was offered to Fulham for a reason; because he wasn’t performing. It’s weird to  say “HA! I told you so!” Because the fact of the matter is he wasn’t good enough AT THE TIME. He has improved immensely as a player and as a captain. 

Sick of this narrative that he was was some sort of young generational talent that people were giving stick to, because it just wasn’t the case at all. 

9 minutes ago, Rick said:

You’ve said this a few times now, and I’d really love to go back in time to see what you, yourself were saying about him during the years that he was struggling here. 

He was offered to Fulham for a reason; because he wasn’t performing. It’s weird to  say “HA! I told you so!” Because the fact of the matter is he wasn’t good enough AT THE TIME. He has improved immensely as a player and as a captain. 

Sick of this narrative that he was was some sort of young generational talent that people were giving stick to, because it just wasn’t the case at all. 

To be fair, I'm not sure offering him to Fulham in exchange for Clint Dempsey was anything other than fucking stupid from Rodgers. He was still basically a kid at that point who I think had shown in his first season under Dalglish that he was worth persisting with (although if I recall, he did massively split opinion that season). 

I think his first three seasons you saw a steady upward trajectory and he became important in 13/14. The next couple of seasons are where he really seemed to struggle and when I think a lot of the 'not good enough' shouts started. 

I think maybe Liverpool spending big money on two midfielders in Fabinho and Keita has also helped his improvement too. He must have surely felt that his place was under threat in the summer of 2018. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Rick said:

Tbf I'm not sure madlad is saying that. My read was he was just exclaiming about how far the lad has come, and reflecting on the huge place he now has in LFC history 

8 hours ago, LFCMike said:

To be fair, I'm not sure offering him to Fulham in exchange for Clint Dempsey was anything other than fucking stupid from Rodgers. He was still basically a kid at that point who I think had shown in his first season under Dalglish that he was worth persisting with (although if I recall, he did massively split opinion that season). 

I think his first three seasons you saw a steady upward trajectory and he became important in 13/14. The next couple of seasons are where he really seemed to struggle and when I think a lot of the 'not good enough' shouts started. 

I think maybe Liverpool spending big money on two midfielders in Fabinho and Keita has also helped his improvement too. He must have surely felt that his place was under threat in the summer of 2018. 

No listen, I agree full with everything. I’m just replying to madlad who has said that quite a few times now.