talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

Now we are starting to see some highly paid players off the wage bill, I expect to see that re-invested into the first team. Lovren, Lallana and Clyne were all on a mint. The club needs to fuck off with this penny counting attitude from the last couple of years, its very annoying. We have won the two biggest prize pots in football in the last 18 months and have numerous new sponsors and shirt deal. Thiago is a good next move, but we need help up front.

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

Now we are starting to see some highly paid players off the wage bill, I expect to see that re-invested into the first team. Lovren, Lallana and Clyne were all on a mint. The club needs to fuck off with this penny counting attitude from the last couple of years, its very annoying. We have won the two biggest prize pots in football in the last 18 months and have numerous new sponsors and shirt deal. Thiago is a good next move, but we need help up front.

I think the biggest worry now is backup CB. Virgil's our most important player, and Gomez and Matip are both very good. But they're also both very injury prone & I'm not convinced our younger CBs are quite ready to fill in at the highest level.

Hertha look set to sign Grujic as well, which should give us more funds. I think it's likely the club keep Shaqiri for at least another season, hoping he doesn't face the same constant injury struggles, so if he stays fit that's at least some depth for Salah/Mane (granted he's a different sort of wide player). It's not clear whether Brewster's going to get a shot next season or if he's going out on loan to someone like Leeds or back at Swansea again. If we're not keeping him, I think we've got to bring someone in to challenge Origi's status as our #1 backup to the front 3.

Those areas are really where we need the most improvement. Honestly, getting Thiago's a bit of a luxury compared to the real needs of the club (although I think he'll give us a bit more creativity from midfield that'll open things up more against the sides that park the bus, which are our biggest weakness... so maybe not as much of a luxury). We've got a pretty solid squad, we just needed a bit more depth at LB (sorted), CB (now that Lovren's gone, and probably only because of how injury prone our 2nd/3rd choice CBs seem to be), and options for our front 3.

I really hope we bring Thiago in though after watching Bayern in the CL though. He's world class and looks like he'd fit in with the way we play perfectly. But I also really hope we address those other areas, although if Klopp ends up trusting kids... I'll back that decision, he's been pretty decent at knowing when kids are ready so far.

I hope we keep Brewster this season as opposed to sending him out on loan (Sheffield United are the current front runners according to Twitter). If we're going to insist upon Origi spending most of his time out wide, and although I think Minamino will come good, he's not exactly hit the ground running, we're left without an option should Firmino go down that can be a reliable option for goals. Of course, Brewster isn't proven at Premier League level yet, but I think with his attacking movement and awareness he offers a different option to our other backup strikers in the sense of being a real poacher. With the increase we've seen in both Salah and Mane's assist productivity, as well as hopefully more consistent minutes for Keita, Brewster could be a real option for us if he gets that high level of productivity behind him.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Tepmz said:

I hope we keep Brewster this season as opposed to sending him out on loan (Sheffield United are the current front runners according to Twitter). If we're going to insist upon Origi spending most of his time out wide, and although I think Minamino will come good, he's not exactly hit the ground running, we're left without an option should Firmino go down that can be a reliable option for goals. Of course, Brewster isn't proven at Premier League level yet, but I think with his attacking movement and awareness he offers a different option to our other backup strikers in the sense of being a real poacher. With the increase we've seen in both Salah and Mane's assist productivity, as well as hopefully more consistent minutes for Keita, Brewster could be a real option for us if he gets that high level of productivity behind him.

I think a few weeks ago I wanted him to go out on loan. But I would like to see him given the same sort of time Origi got last season, I think he could do more with that time (although I’d like him more central).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Seems Klopp is getting slightly annoyed at constant questions regarding buying new players...

"Sometimes I feel I’m the only one in this country who believes in training, all others believe in transfers.”

I mean, I agree with him to a point. But you can’t expect these young lads (most who have had only a handful of first team appearances) to perform at the level out first team needs on a consistent basis. The idea scenario is adding two or three proven quality players and then bedding these young lads in slowly. 

• Subscriber

I don't know if anyone has an account on The Athletic but it seems the club is targeting the October visit of Sheffield United to open the doors for 12500 fans to watch the game. That's approximately a 23% attendance capacity.

https://theathletic.com/2037074/2020/09/03/liverpool-anfield-sheffield-united-coronavirus/

31 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

We're apparently loaning Ojo off you for the season, though I've heard mixed reviews about him. 

Half decent or will he join the likes of Flint and Pack as utter shite? 

He’s pacey and very direct. Will wanna take defenders on, should be an exciting signing. I think he’s ready to flourish. 

9 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

We're apparently loaning Ojo off you for the season, though I've heard mixed reviews about him. 

Half decent or will he join the likes of Flint and Pack as utter shite? 

Rangers fans don’t seem to rate him very much. He’s not meant to be awful, but he’s apparently pretty inconsistent. Also got criticised for not putting in much effort.

He’s got the raw talent to do well if he can apply himself and learn with experience. The decision making doesn’t really match up with what we (or Rangers) would really expect for a 23 year old - I’m honestly surprised he’s not making a permanent transfer away.

Hopefully he does well on loan with you though.

11 hours ago, Rick said:

He’s pacey and very direct. Will wanna take defenders on, should be an exciting signing. I think he’s ready to flourish. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Rangers fans don’t seem to rate him very much. He’s not meant to be awful, but he’s apparently pretty inconsistent. Also got criticised for not putting in much effort.

He’s got the raw talent to do well if he can apply himself and learn with experience. The decision making doesn’t really match up with what we (or Rangers) would really expect for a 23 year old - I’m honestly surprised he’s not making a permanent transfer away.

Hopefully he does well on loan with you though.

Sounds like he could be a good loan move but he's inconsistent and doesn't put a lot of effort in. 

My hope is that he'll be useful but the part around inconsistency and lacking effort reminds me of Josh Murphy in a way. Has talent but can be very hit and miss. 

45 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Sometimes I feel I’m the only one in this country who believes in training, all others believe in transfers.”... Klopp

Yes I know and it's why he's the perfect fit for Liverpool's business model. I'm sure ideally for him though he'd be able to bring in at least one more player this summer without selling to buy. That thread explains to those who think Liverpool should be able to go out and spend £60m on one player just why they can't, especially in the current climate. But he's very good at making the most of what he has.

I can’t make heads or tail of that information, at least not on my dinner break. Surely though, most clubs in this league are in a even/ worse position and they manage to strengthen. 

I was disappointed that we never made a move on Havertz because I think he’s a potential world class talent. I don’t want or expect us to be spending what Chelsea have spent, I know we aren’t the club who can do that all the time. BUT you cannot tell me that selling Lovren and not bringing in a replacement makes good business sense. Same if we let Gini go and don’t bring in Thiago. I want to wait until the window is open to see what happens with the squad. 

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Yes I know and it's why he's the perfect fit for Liverpool's business model. I'm sure ideally for him though he'd be able to bring in at least one more player this summer without selling to buy. That thread explains to those who think Liverpool should be able to go out and spend £60m on one player just why they can't, especially in the current climate. But he's very good at making the most of what he has.

Yeah ive just read it. Its a bit long winded but it does put our finances into perspective.

Your owners aren't benefactors, they're businessmen like any other and they bought Liverpool to make money. It just so happens to success on the pitch leads to money off the pitch but they are not going to be funding when they see it as unnecessary. Let's not forget their attempts to raise ticket prices, furlough staff etc, it's only because of Liverpool's relatively belligerent fanbase that they've changed course on these things. Football clubs will never properly a part of the community until we have part fan ownership.

• Upvote 1