talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

51 minutes ago, Danny said:

Lord have mercy on my soul, always thought this was just bullshit, THE POSSIBILITIES 

I had no idea about this!

The balls on Brentford to go after Klopp. And holy shit, how persuasive of them to have him actually consider it... that sort of bodes really well for Brentford's future if they come up to the Prem any time soon tbh!

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I had no idea about this!

The balls on Brentford to go after Klopp. And holy shit, how persuasive of them to have him actually consider it... that sort of bodes really well for Brentford's future if they come up to the Prem any time soon tbh!

I can only imagine he looked into us with the thought process of “it can’t hurt to look”, would have been a massive longshot. I’ve been saying for ages we’re one of the best run clubs in the country, this is just testament to that. That would have been the season Warburton left and we employed Dean Smith with a shaker appointment in between 

Klopp loves a project, its where he thrives. He is just not interested in managing clubs that already win everything. 

He's been quoted a fair few times saying stuff like "what would be the point of managing Bayern Munich, Barcelona or Real Madrid when they win all the time anyway? Where does the job satisfaction come from?"

Its why I'm not nervous one bit about the big clubs coming calling for Klopp because he simply wouldn't go. 

Look at his career... Mainz struggling, he built and improved them. Dortmunt.. he built and improved them to powerhouse status, whilst constantly having his best players sold to his rival. Then Liverpool.. languishing 8 - 6 in the league, often failing to even achieve CL qualification. Now look. 

The man is a footballing genius, easily the best manager on the planet currently as far as I'm concerned.

He has said already that he won't extend his contract with Liverpool beyond 2024. He will then have an extended break before hopefully (his words), going back to Mainz to help re-build them again.

Edited by LFCMadLad

18 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He has said already that he won't extend his contract with Liverpool beyond 2024. He will then have an extended break before hopefully (his words), going back to Mainz to help re-build them again.

I think he'll be the Germany manager after he's done with us and taken another sabbatical.

I hope he changes his mind though and stays a bit longer though. If we'll have to rebuild after his current side needs a bit of refreshing... I can't think of a better man for the rebuild than Klopp.

17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think he'll be the Germany manager after he's done with us and taken another sabbatical.

I hope he changes his mind though and stays a bit longer though. If we'll have to rebuild after his current side needs a bit of refreshing... I can't think of a better man for the rebuild than Klopp.

Yeah, whoever takes over Klopp will obviously be a downgrade. Dreading the day already xD

• Subscriber

Liverpool: Virgil van Dijk knee surgery 'successful'

Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk has had a "successful" operation on his knee ligament injury, the club says.

The 29-year-old has not played since damaging anterior cruciate ligaments (ACL) in a challenge with Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford in the 2-2 Premier League draw on 17 October.

Liverpool said "no timeframe has been placed" on Van Dijk's return.

"This time [after an operation] is always unpleasant. He is good as good as can be," said manager Jurgen Klopp.

"The surgery was successful, which is really good, the best news we could get."

Returning to action after ACL surgery can take several months.

Liverpool has since lost Fabinho, who had been deputising in defence for Netherland international Van Dijk, to a hamstring injury.

Klopp said Brazilian Fabinho will miss Saturday's league game against West Ham "and probably slightly longer".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54745960

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Jesus it took that long for the swelling to go down? He's probably going to be out for over a year if it was that bad...

Ive read that the op went really well and although the club aren't willing to put a time on his return, rumours are that he may make the last few games of this season. 

Hope thats true!

9 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Ive read that the op went really well and although the club aren't willing to put a time on his return, rumours are that he may make the last few games of this season. 

Hope thats true!

He's played the five games for a medal anyway so just let him rest up until next season:whistling:

• Upvote 2

So with Phillips not registered for our CL squad, when Matip & Fabinho aren't fit it looks likely we'll be going with Rhys Williams and Gomez (Matip faces a late fitness test for tomorrow though). But are we looking at Nat Phillips featuring in more league games than Rhys Williams?

I do think Phillips is a bit more "ready" for premier league football than Williams. But he's 23, so this really last chance saloon for him at Liverpool - and we know he was one foot out the door on deadline day, we just couldn't get a price that Michael Edwards thought was enough.

With Matip's injury history and age, this might be a good chance for Phillips/Williams to demonstrate they're a capable fill in as a squad player. I suspect they'll have plenty of opportunities to play this season given our injuries at the back and how injury prone Matip and Gomez have been in the past.

Funny old game football sometimes!

Only a couple of weeks ago we were all up in arms about our CB situation, how we were doomed and how we shouldn't have sold Lovren and should have bought a new CB. Sometimes though its situations like this that sees stars being born. Phillips and Williams have now both been given chances and took them. Only a small sample size to judge but its now looking like we have two highly dependable young CB's from our academy that we can call upon when needed. Matip back soon and suddenly things don't seem so gloomy without VVD.

Then there is young Curtis Jones from the academy. With Thiago and Keita picking up injuries he's been given more minutes than he probably expected, and he's done really well. Another young player that we can depend on to swell the squad a little. 

Up front we now look awash with options. Jota seems to have been an inspired signing who can play anywhere across the front three positions which means more options for Klopp and rotation now wont see such a drop in quality as before. Big Shaq also regaining fitness and playing himself into form lately is another timely boost.

Thiago and Keita about to return ... things aren't so bad after all. 

I think you’re being enormously generous to our CB situation. We are still relying a lot on a very injury prone in Matip to come in and stay fit. I don’t want Rhys Williams or Nat Phillips being expected to play a ton of football this season. 

9 minutes ago, Rick said:

I think you’re being enormously generous to our CB situation. We are still relying a lot on a very injury prone in Matip to come in and stay fit. I don’t want Rhys Williams or Nat Phillips being expected to play a ton of football this season. 

I dont know, they look pretty reliable for the odd short spell or two. Gomez, Matip, Fabinho, Williams and Phillips should be enough to get us through in my opinion. Buying a new CB now would only stunt their development.

You never know, a situation like this could very well be the making of either one of the youngsters, maybe even both. Could potentially save us millions in the long run?

Edited by LFCMadLad

Forget the centre backs, is Jota making a genuine claim to keeping Firmino out?

I mean if he carries on in this vain, how much longer can Liverpool justify choosing the 'indispensible' Firmino over him?

I get it's not about goals with Firmino but he's still a striker, and Jota is banging them in. Got to be some pressure on him surely?

Edited by Lucas