talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Not the right thread but it seems appropriate. 

Ake just got subbed off for Netherlands. Hamstring injury. 

Under has got a calf injury for Turkey tonight so that can be added to the aforementioned list for us.

Love pointless friendlies, me :) 

21 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

If I was Liverpool I'd ban players playing for England. Might seem draconian but all Liverpool players get is abuse from England fans and the English press they're wasting their time under an idiot like Southgate. They are bigger than England, they should put their foot down. Manchester United should do the same. 

This isn't the first time he's suffered serious injury playing for England (and Southgate) that's ruled him out for an extended number of games for his club (if rumours are to be believed). This time last year England fans were booing him for being attacked by a teammate. Honestly why would you bother if you were Gomez?

I wonder if we'll hear the press try and belittle whoever wins the league this year like they did to Liverpool because Manchester City they had err, Laporte injured? Liverpool are essentially out of contention now, top 4 would be a great achievement with no defence.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Seems like that's actually good news and his recovery should be better than if the damage was elsewhere. Doesn't change the fact that we're thin at the back but its better than having someone out for a much longer period.

He's out for the whole season, pretty much. Honestly, Liverpool should put their foot down, Southgate is an irresponsible cretin.

6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Seems like that's actually good news and his recovery should be better than if the damage was elsewhere. Doesn't change the fact that we're thin at the back but its better than having someone out for a much longer period.

Even though they don't rule him out for the season, it doesn't make it sound like he has much chance of playing again this season at the end of that article.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

He's out for the whole season, pretty much. Honestly, Liverpool should put their foot down, Southgate is an irresponsible cretin.

Did Southgate do anything wrong? If Gomez had a niggle before he went away with England then Liverpool would surely have pulled him out, or left the decision in the player's hands. It isn't in Southgate's interests to risk an injured player either.

I do think in general that it's completely ridiculous playing international football at the moment. I could sort of swallow it if they were only playing the compulsory fixtures but the way teams are squeezing in this third friendly game in the gap, which isn't even something they did pre-Covid, really is irresponsible.

The shouts on Liverpool not winning the league are premature though. This doesn't help them in the slightest of course but it's not like anyone else is stepping up. Man City are already dropping even more points than last season when they finished 20 points behind and Chelsea, Spurs, Leicester are completely unproven in sustaining their form over the past 3-4 games for a full season, as we saw from Everton following the first 4 games.

• Administrator

How long is Trent out for? 

I wonder what CB will be bought in January. They'll need someone of decent quality to help the youngster next to them. Matip won't last the rest of the season without injury either surely.

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

How long is Trent out for? 

I wonder what CB will be bought in January. They'll need someone of decent quality to help the youngster next to them. Matip won't last the rest of the season without injury either surely.

He’s out for a month.

Yeah no way Matip will last the rest of the season. He’s already just had an injury and he’s probably our most injury prone player.

I don’t know what the plan is for us in January, but I’m sure Michael Edwards is very annoyed because he’s pretty deliberate with his transfer plans, so to suddenly have an emergency need at a certain position is pretty annoying.

It’ll be expensive too, because it’s January and there’s no secret we’re desperate for someone who can play consistently.

The way this season’s gone though, is it worth signing someone that’s playing regularly and in this short season is more likely to get a long term injury? That’d just be a waste of money. And it’s almost a certainty that signing someone that currently isn’t playing regularly wouldn’t be worth it.

Glad that’s not my job to figure out, because it’s a tough one to figure out.

• Subscriber

Whoever comes in the January window has to be someone who will have to slot in and make an impact otherwise its going to be a wasteful signing other than just filling a spot. I think they've already been planning for this way before these injuries and post the VVD injury anyways. Now we all have to wait and see who that person turns out to be. 

Yes its a bastard that we need to buy in January, and yes clubs will try and milk as much money as they can knowing our situation. 

Still, we are in very uncertain times and a lot of clubs can't afford to turn down 'fair price'. 

It might actually be the best time to buy in a way?

All this talk that Liverpool won't win the league now or it'll be a joke if no one else does, I mean come on guys, how old are we? xD 

If you had to lay £500 of your own money on the table now that they wouldn't do it would you? I doubt it.

They were so far in front of everyone last year, all that's really happened is the playing field has evened. Every other contender has enough flaws currently not to make them a clear favourite.

They have been ridiculously unlucky with injuries no doubt. But they still have a bloody great chance considering they will still play a huge majority of games with Alisson, Trent, Robertson, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Jota, Firmino, Mane and Salah in the team.

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

All this talk that Liverpool won't win the league now or it'll be a joke if no one else does, I mean come on guys, how old are we? xD 

If you had to lay £500 of your own money on the table now that they wouldn't do it would you? I doubt it.

They were so far in front of everyone last year, all that's really happened is the playing field has evened. Every other contender has enough flaws currently not to make them a clear favourite.

They have been ridiculously unlucky with injuries no doubt. But they still have a bloody great chance considering they will still play a huge majority of games with Alisson, Trent, Robertson, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Jota, Firmino, Mane and Salah in the team.

Mentally... 7.

If City being without Laporte for a bit of last season was considered to be such a huge reason they weren't as good of challengers last year as they were the year prior... I do think that there should be a good argument that Liverpool shouldn't be winning the league without VVD & Gomez playing for most of the season.

If we do, I'll undoubtedly be delighted. But I'll also think it's pretty fucking funny if an injury prone CB and some U23 end up being the core of the defense that takes us to another title - because it'll probably mean we won the title with Phillips and Williams as our CB pairing for quite a few games. It'll also probably mean Phillips and/or Williams will have massively taken the chance they've been handed this season, which would be cool. I'll still think it's pretty funny though.

I would like it if Phillips ended up making the grade with us though, nice little story for a guy who thought his Liverpool career with us would come to a quiet ending this summer.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Mentally... 7.

If City being without Laporte for a bit of last season was considered to be such a huge reason they weren't as good of challengers last year as they were the year prior... I do think that there should be a good argument that Liverpool shouldn't be winning the league without VVD & Gomez playing for most of the season.

If we do, I'll undoubtedly be delighted. But I'll also think it's pretty fucking funny if an injury prone CB and some U23 end up being the core of the defense that takes us to another title - because it'll probably mean we won the title with Phillips and Williams as our CB pairing for quite a few games. It'll also probably mean Phillips and/or Williams will have massively taken the chance they've been handed this season, which would be cool. I'll still think it's pretty funny though.

I would like it if Phillips ended up making the grade with us though, nice little story for a guy who thought his Liverpool career with us would come to a quiet ending this summer.

I consider a lot of us fairly sensible fans with sound football knowledge on here and I am pretty sure most of us could agree City had more problems than just losing Laporte last year.

I can see why you are going down that road if you've heard those excuses from elsewhere but for me, that's just sour grapes from the people that have said that in spite of you winning. City have Laporte now and still look a way off 😂  You walked it because you were far superior.

Bottom line here for me is that whilst it's a pretty big spanner in the works, Liverpool have enough quality in their ranks to make it work. And having seen that City game on Sunday, that's not made me rethink that in the slightest.

Fabinho when fit will be a decent replacement with Matip and regardless of that, Liverpool have enough of the ball in games to dominate and score more than the opposition anyway.

There isn't one team out of the challengers that look that well oiled to take over and dominate this league anyway. The only thing that might happen is we actually get a decent title race involving more than a couple teams for once.

Edited by Lucas

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

There isn't one team out of the challengers that look that well oiled to take over and dominate this league anyway. The only thing that might happen is we actually get a decent title race involving more than a couple teams for once.

Wait til we get our players back and 100% fit.

(oh wait, no other team has injuries in the league other than Liverpool :ph34r:)