talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

Letting Gini go was one thing, but we better not end up losing our captain because of this stupidity.

He'll be 33 by the time his current contract is up. He has injury problems. Of course there's uncertainty at this stage. Liverpool would be stupid to just give in to the demands of a player in Henderson's situation

Talk of us maybe selling Henderson this summer, which I think is absolutely insane.

The more I learn about FSG, the more I respect Klopp and Edwards. All of their success with us has been in spite of FSG, rather than because of them imo.

37 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Talk of us maybe selling Henderson this summer, which I think is absolutely insane.

The more I learn about FSG, the more I respect Klopp and Edwards. All of their success with us has been in spite of FSG, rather than because of them imo.

There's a few players out of contract in 2023. Liverpool are right to prioritise the likes of Alisson, Van Dijk, Fabinho, Salah and Mane.

39 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

There's a few players out of contract in 2023. Liverpool are right to prioritise the likes of Alisson, Van Dijk, Fabinho, Salah and Mane.

But they’ve already started contract negotiations with him. Clearly, it’s similar to the Gini situation in that the club haven’t offered a loyal player the sort of deal that their contribution deserves. I’m sure a player like Henderson isn’t asking for a 5 year deal, he’s not stupid.

He was pivotal in both the Champions League and League wins, and both of those a very recent, so it’s not like he’s a steg who isn’t contributing. He deserves to be shown more respect than he clearly has been. If he leaves the club because of this I’ll be disgusted. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

But they’ve already started contract negotiations with him. Clearly, it’s similar to the Gini situation in that the club haven’t offered a loyal player the sort of deal that their contribution deserves. I’m sure a player like Henderson isn’t asking for a 5 year deal, he’s not stupid.

He was pivotal in both the Champions League and League wins, and both of those a very recent, so it’s not like he’s a steg who isn’t contributing. He deserves to be shown more respect than he clearly has been. If he leaves the club because of this I’ll be disgusted. 

Henderson currently earns £140k per week. Liverpool won't want to be increasing that and rightly so.  Wijnaldum was on less than £100k, £70-90k was the reports. It's not the same really.

I very much doubt he'll be sold this summer. I don't see why they can't get into the final year of his contract and see what the situation is then with his fitness, place in the squad etc.

I love Henderson but there's no room for sentiment. Liverpool need to make sure the budget is used to tie down players who will be much more important than Henderson over the next 3-4 years

38 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He’s a glorified John Obi Mikel. You lot can do better. 

Dunno, there's something to be said about having a player with the right character and mentality.

I hope he can come to an agreement with the club before 2023 rolls around... and without us selling him.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Dunno, there's something to be said about having a player with the right character and mentality.

I hope he can come to an agreement with the club before 2023 rolls around... and without us selling him.

You have VVD, Robertson, and Allison. Players who are natural born leaders or lead by example. 

Think you have more worries than losing Henderson. Lack of quality in depth up top to freshen the attack probably the biggest concern. 

Edited by Cicero

• Subscriber

Cant see us offloading Hendo in the summer considering the season thats just passed. He may not be the one who plays the most games or have the best luck with injuries lately but when he does come on the pitch that midfield starts to operate at a higher efficiency. Granted we've lost Gini who was also very instrumental there but Hendo gets them all pushing harder and to bring someone else in to replace him isn't as simple as just letting him go and slotting someone else in. 

19 minutes ago, Cicero said:

You have VVD, Robertson, and Allison. Players who are natural born leaders or lead by example. 

Think you have more worries than losing Henderson. Lack of quality in depth up top to freshen the attack probably the biggest concern. 

I'm not so sure. I think with Wijnaldum moving on, we were looking at probably revamping the midfield... I think that job becomes much bigger when we're looking at replacing Wijnaldum and Henderson. I think in terms of our midfield and defensive depth, we've got a number of players but there's a lot of injury worry in both areas of the pitch.

Definitely agree that we've got to freshen up the attack as well. But we don't have money like City or Chelsea do, so I doubt we can address every need we'd need to realistically address to be in the best possible shape this season.

I'd really hate to lose Henderson this summer.

10 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Ben Davies has returned to the UK from pre-season training in Austria. 

Signs look ominous that he will never make his Liverpool debut. 

Will surely go down as an Anfield legend.

David Lynch says he’s going back to the UK for personal reasons (probably a death in his family, unfortunately… but idk) - but he’s expected to return to the training camp in Austria.

Trusted journos are saying we should expect him to stay with Nat Phillips probably moving on (reports of a few Bundesliga clubs interested) with Rhys Williams potentially going out on loan to get more experience.

So it seems like we’re probably going to be keeping Davies around as our spare tire going into the season with 4 CBs ahead of him that all have their own injury histories.

He’s had a rough time since joining us though. 2 injuries and now some sort of personal issue.

So since our summer transfer budget is less than the change that Sheik Mansour has down the side of his sofa, who would you like to see come in? 

I, myself, have no idea. What is the budget? Looks like a sell to buy summer, so whatever pittance we have scrambled together so far will have to go on 2-3 players?…..Yeah, doesn’t look like the squad is getting much freshening up. 

Edited by Rick

Just now, Rick said:

So since our summer transfer budget is less than the change that Sheik Mansour has down the side of his sofa, who would you like to see come in? 

I, myself, have no idea. What is the budget? Looks like a sell to buy summer, so whatever pittance we have scrambled together so far will have to go on two players. Doesn’t look like the squad is getting much freshening up. 

I'd like a central midfielder and either a striker or a winger (or someone who can do both, like Jota).

At this rate though, I don't think we get either. Which is weird because if you look at the amount of money we've raised from player sales over the last few seasons.. I think we should have a bit more money to spend to try to keep our squad competitive compared to the Manchester and Chelsea.

Considering FSG's statement after the fan backlash to their shite super league proposal... I do wonder if they're a bit pissed off at being owners of Liverpool and are less likely to care about how we do now. On the other hand, it's in their interest to protect the value of their investment... and Liverpool as competitors are more valuable than Liverpool as nearly competitors.

17 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I think a central midfielder is a must. I'm not sure Klopp and Edwards will see a forward as a big priority though.

It does seem like the Ox is sort of being groomed to play in the Firmino role.

But I'm not sure how much we can rely on him even as a backup option with all of his injury problems.

On 23/07/2021 at 08:23, LFCMadLad said:

Ben Davies has returned to the UK from pre-season training in Austria. 

Signs look ominous that he will never make his Liverpool debut. 

Will surely go down as an Anfield legend.

He's back with the squad in Austria btw

46 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It does seem like the Ox is sort of being groomed to play in the Firmino role.

But I'm not sure how much we can rely on him even as a backup option with all of his injury problems.

I'm don't think that's the solution but even still, I don't see us going out and spending big money on a fifth choice forward.