talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

12 minutes ago, Rick said:

Absolutely. Looked very good being played down the middle rather than out on the wing. 

Has he ever played out on the wing while Firmino's out of the side? Genuinely curious.

Because imo Origi's always looked best down the middle and have always thought playing him out wide was a bit strange.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Has he ever played out on the wing while Firmino's out of the side? Genuinely curious.

Because imo Origi's always looked best down the middle and have always thought playing him out wide was a bit strange.

I don’t know about when he’s started, but I was talking about his sub appearances where he usually ends on the outside. Way more effective when you stick him in the middle. 

21 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

So maybe we didn't need to sign new cover for Firmino after all :ph34r:

If Origi can find some consistency, he's perfectly adequate as a squad striker. The issue is he can be very hot or cold... and for over a year he's been pretty cold. I feel for him because when it looked like he was developing well and he was getting regular time on the pitch he got that bad injury... and he's never really looked the same. And our front 3 being so difficult to displace has probably meant he's not gotten really anywhere near enough minutes to continue his development.

He'll always be a cult hero for what he did in the CL that season... but if he can find some consistency and contribute to the squad more, I think a lot more people will be happy to have him around than they were at the end of the summer.

Kind of the same way I felt about Shaqiri last season - he's great to have around if he's healthy and consistent... but he didn't have much luck in the way of staying healthy and as a result he wasn't consistent.

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'd imagine he will come close to Gerrards number by the time he leaves. 

Already one of, if not THE best captain Liverpool has ever had. His influence on and off the pitch is phenomenal.

He's 31 now, needs another 272 appearances to get near Gerrard. 

Approx another 6-7 seasons? Can't see him staying that long surely? 

50 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'd imagine he will come close to Gerrards number by the time he leaves. 

Already one of, if not THE best captain Liverpool has ever had. His influence on and off the pitch is phenomenal.

I think he'll still be some way off Gerrard. And that's assuming he's playing 40 games a season over the course of the next four years. 

Don't disagree that he'll go down as one of the best though, certainly if we add another few trophies during that time

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

In my books he's already one of the best captains Liverpool has had in a long time. He's a positive influence on everyone in that team and a role model on and off the pitch. Doesn't really matter if he beats Steven's record because he's done more than enough to cement himself as one of the best at the club.

• Upvote 3

From hazy memories of Liverpool's past, Henderson seems more comparable to Steve McMahon than Steve Gerrard.

For a long time Gerrard was Liverpool's star man, not just captain & main CM. Henderson as an individual doesn't seem like he's at the same level as Gerrard. But this team is obviously the best it's been for Liverpool since Rush, Barnes, Hansen, McMahon, Grobelaar, etc.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

From hazy memories of Liverpool's past, Henderson seems more comparable to Steve McMahon than Steve Gerrard.

For a long time Gerrard was Liverpool's star man, not just captain & main CM. Henderson as an individual doesn't seem like he's at the same level as Gerrard. But this team is obviously the best it's been for Liverpool since Rush, Barnes, Hansen, McMahon, Grobelaar, etc.

I wish we could have had Klopp and Gerrard at the same time

On 19/09/2021 at 05:35, LFCMadLad said:

Thiago injured. 

Out for at least 2 matches.

Bit of a shame as he was sort of showing us the reason why he was so highly valued at Bayern in recent weeks. Definitely an easier time for him playing in more normal circumstances. Hope he's back soon.

Keita and Jones get a decent chance to show why they should start once Thiago's back. At least it's an area we've got depth, because it's not great to have 2 injuries to starters in the midfield this early.

Imagine being a player that played under Ferguson and complaining about a manager maybe influencing referees through the media xD - but also it's just a stupid take. The FA's told referees to not award as many penalties for "soft challenges" and our refs being shit are going to sometimes going to see hard challenges that should be penalties and claim they're soft... and VAR will rubber stamp it about half the time. The issue's with the officials, not any manager making statements to the media.

And the stats indicate that if referees were influenced by Klopp... it's probably for the best.

Liverpool in the Premier League under Klopp: 225 games, 7,192 touches in the opposition's box

Man Utd in the Premier League under Solskjær: 102 games, 2,641 touches in the opposition's box

Both 32 penalties awarded each xD