talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

If people think this was deliberate, what was the benefit of Liverpool getting the Arsenal game postponed ? They've given up home advantage in the second leg. Out of the three that missed Chelsea through Covid, there's probably only Firmino that will be involved in the semi final.

The argument is more that the Leeds fixture cannot be put in to the game week where most replayed fixtures are going in to as the Arsenal League Cup game is there. 

The counter argument to that is the title race is effectively over and it would be incredibly brazen of Liverpool to release the information of false positives when they don't have too If they really were being deceptive.

5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

If people think this was deliberate, what was the benefit of Liverpool getting the Arsenal game postponed ? They've given up home advantage in the second leg. Out of the three that missed Chelsea through Covid, there's probably only Firmino that will be involved in the semi final.

They cynic in me says twelve games in forty three days (up to 2nd January), of which eight were in December and you were due to play three games in a week, starting with Chelsea, then Arsenal and Shrewsbury. That’s not to say twelve games in forty three days won’t cause a certain amount of fatigue and injuries, mind. Enough to get a game called off though, I’m not sure.

Liverpool now have four games before the “winter break” then five games before a gap (currently) between 19th Feb and 5th March (you’d think the Leeds game will go in here somewhere). 

16 hours ago, Rick said:

I have to say, I’m getting a bit fed up of Thiago being injured. Where did this injury come from this time? Wasn’t he meant to be back a couple weeks ago….but has now ended up needing rehabilitation on his hip. 🙄

What was his injury record like pre-Liverpool?

53 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Shrewsbury’s keeper suggesting large swaths of their fans should be banned for life for their Hillsborough chants.

Im inclined to agree. But I suspect many are well against that

I think they should. The days of "Anything goes" as a football chant are long gone.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think they should. The days of "Anything goes" as a football chant are long gone.

I think Thiago has a reputation of being a bit of a crock but he did make 40 or more appearances in four of his final five seasons with Bayern. Not sure how many of those are starts.

13 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Yeah I agree with you. I think millions of people, all around the world - not just in the UK mind you, that disagree with that sentiment.

10 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I think Thiago has a reputation of being a bit of a crock but he did make 40 or more appearances in four of his final five seasons with Bayern. Not sure how many of those are starts.

I think he typically had one bad injury a season? I’m not sure but we can ask @Viva la FCB - he’ll know

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Shrewsbury’s keeper suggesting large swaths of their fans should be banned for life for their Hillsborough chants.

Im inclined to agree. But I suspect many are well against that

I agree. Anyone shouting about that disaster, at a football game no less, does deserve punishment. 

Callous and crass. 

Same for those who do plane or helicopter gestures at clubs who have faced those kind of disasters. Seen it at Chelsea and of course at Leicester. Disgusting really. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

I agree. Anyone shouting about that disaster, at a football game no less, does deserve punishment. 

Callous and crass. 

Same for those who do plane or helicopter gestures at clubs who have faced those kind of disasters. Seen it at Chelsea and of course at Leicester. Disgusting really. 

Mocking the dead for dying is just disgusting.

Whether it's people crushed to death by South Yorkshire police, players dying from a plane crash from taking off an unsafe runway (which is actually a really horrifying death if you think about it - especially if you're like me and when you're on the plane back to your home you're just thinking "oh fuck yes, I'll get to be in my bed tonight"), or people dying in a tragic helicopter accident in something that had once been considered relatively routine by the people who were on the helicopter... or really any other way people that have died tbh.

Fans of other sides using tragedies like that as a way of "point scoring" or to "wind up" others are absolute scum.

If you're like me and you were born on Merseyside a year Hillsborough and grew up there... there's a good chance you know at least one person that was impacted by Hillsborough - whether it's a survivor, a family member of one of the deceased, or if you're older than me maybe you even knew one of the deceased. And I think one of the things that makes Hillsborough so egregious is the lies the police and politicians told because they wanted to avoid accountability for the blood on the hands of South Yorkshire police - and the lies that were spread about the victims and survivors in the media at the behest of the same politicians and police.

It was vicious slander of a whole community already was reeling from Thatcher's war on Merseyside and Liverpool's "managed decline" under her government. And there was no semblance of justice until decades later when the UK government finally apologised - but even the main perpetrators manage to walk away without having to face any real repercussion for filling 96 graves.

So it's still a particularly sore subject even after so many decades. It's over 30 years of lies South Yorkshire police, some Tory cunts, and their pals at the Sun told, while playing up a bunch of anti-Scouse stereotypes, that get chanted back at us or mocked with gestures (although I'll always laugh when Everton fans mock it, I feel like that never would have happened when I was a kid - but those are people too stupid to realise they're mocking Scousers themselves), and even admission from The Sun & apologies from the Government won't stop that sort of stupid behavior.

You've really got no business stepping into Liverpool, for a football match or otherweise, if you're going to come and chant shit like that.

Out of interest, did anyone watch that thing on ITV about Anne Williams fighting for justice for the 97, including the life of her young son?

I must admit, I'm not fully clue'd up on everything but I found it easier to gain more of an understanding of events from watching this drama.

Very shocking I thought in some places but really well done and quite tastefully too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

FSG need to pay Salah, the cheap cunts

I don’t get why there is such a delay in it. Salah has talked about it publicly twice now, putting a little bit of pressure on the club. FSG surely expect that he is going to be asking for a large pay packet, he’s arguably the best player in the world on current form and has been absolutely vital to us since the moment he stepped foot into the club. Clearly we are being cheap cunts and it’s ridiculous, pay the man and let’s have it done. 

Not always that simple. Least for the club's perspective. 

Salah is what, 30 this June? He's performing at a level to be considered the best on the planet, but risk will always be assessed for a club when negotiating contracts. Age arguably one of the biggest factors, considering players are at a risk of massively declining once they are in their 30's. Long term profitable sustainability is the key goal for clubs that are not fortunate enough to be bankrolled by their owner. 

Spotrac has his current wage at 200kpw. (Not sure if this is before or after the massive bonus structure Liverpool implements in their players contracts.). What amount are the Liverpool correspondents saying Salah is asking for? What ever it is, the two questions Liverpool's financial team will need to answer are "Can we afford it", and "Will this profit us long term"?

Edited by Cicero

52 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Out of interest, did anyone watch that thing on ITV about Anne Williams fighting for justice for the 97, including the life of her young son?

I must admit, I'm not fully clue'd up on everything but I found it easier to gain more of an understanding of events from watching this drama.

Very shocking I thought in some places but really well done and quite tastefully too.

Yeah a tough watch in a lot of parts. But that's good to hear that it gave you a better understanding.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Not always that simple. Least for the club's perspective. 

Salah is what, 30 this June? He's performing at a level to be considered the best on the planet, but risk will always be assessed for a club when negotiating contracts. Age arguably one of the biggest factors, considering players are at a risk of massively declining once they are in their 30's. Long term profitable sustainability is the key goal for clubs that are not fortunate enough to be bankrolled by their owner. 

Spotrac has his current wage at 200kpw. (Not sure if this is before or after the massive bonus structure Liverpool implements in their players contracts.). What amount are the Liverpool correspondents saying Salah is asking for? What ever it is, the two questions Liverpool's financial team will need to answer are "Can we afford it", and "Will this profit us long term"?

I'm not sure anyone who is considered reliable has put a figure on it but £400k has been mentioned by others.

I largely agree though that it's not that simple.

I completely understand why some are worried about it but they should also understand that it's not a deal that is done overnight. I'll only be worried if nothing is agreed come the end of the season.

19 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not sure anyone who is considered reliable has put a figure on it but £400k has been mentioned by others.

I largely agree though that it's not that simple.

I completely understand why some are worried about it but they should also understand that it's not a deal that is done overnight. I'll only be worried if nothing is agreed come the end of the season.

Even we don't do long term/expensive contracts for players in their 30s. It's actually a pretty notorious rule at the club with rare exceptions. 

Rumors now both Salah and Liverpool have reached common ground which is optimistic. 

18 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Even we don't do long term/expensive contracts for players in their 30s. It's actually a pretty notorious rule at the club with rare exceptions. 

Rumors now both Salah and Liverpool have reached common ground which is optimistic. 

I do think that Salah is one of those players that can be at a similar level in 3 or 4 years time, so it is important to get this done. Couple that with what it will cost to replace him.

19 minutes ago, Rick said:

Not expecting it to be done in a day or two but it’s been months now hasn’t it? Bit concerning it’s taking this long to find common ground. 

These things can take months. I'm sure there was talk of a new contract for Van Dijk long before he eventually signed it in August.

I'm sure it will get sorted.

Liverpool prefer to pay bigger wages than spending extra on bulking out the squad, so you'd think they would be fine to reach a fair compromise.

Pretty sure Salah wants to stay although going public like this always feels like there's been a bit of a stalemate in talks and it's a tactic used by the player (or rather his agent) that puts the ball back in the club's court.

52 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I'm sure it will get sorted.

Liverpool prefer to pay bigger wages than spending extra on bulking out the squad, so you'd think they would be fine to reach a fair compromise.

Pretty sure Salah wants to stay although going public like this always feels like there's been a bit of a stalemate in talks and it's a tactic used by the player (or rather his agent) that puts the ball back in the club's court.

I think it's important to consider how long ago this interview in GQ might have been done. It's not like he's spoke about it on Monday and it's gone out the same day. We could be talking weeks or months ago.

• 2 weeks later...