talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

I don't see us selling Firmino this summer. They'll probably see what he's like this season in terms of injuries and form to decide if he's worth a new deal. He spent a fair bit of time out injured last season which is unusual for him.

• Upvote 2

• Administrator

Klopp's apparently been moaning about fixtures again, while Liverpool have added another friendly between Fulham and Palace games. What's going on there? Presumably won't be a full strength friendly side...? 

25 minutes ago, Stan said:

Klopp's apparently been moaning about fixtures again, while Liverpool have added another friendly between Fulham and Palace games. What's going on there? Presumably won't be a full strength friendly side...? 

Presumably the shorter pre season means that he doesn't feel some players are ready?

Liverpool have also had a few players miss a chunk of pre season with injuries

Edited by LFCMike

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Presumably the shorter pre season means that he doesn't feel some players are ready?

Liverpool have also had a few players miss a chunk of pre season with injuries

Nah I understand that. Just unusual to have another friendly after the season has started. 

We do this, so I imagine most clubs are too, but we'll have maybe two friendlies on the same day or two friendlies one day after another where the first team is split up and the rotation players make up the rest of the two eleven's plus subs. Klopp probably has his fittest eleven ready for the season opener and then will chuck the others into the friendly to get them up to scratch, or close to anyway

4 hours ago, Stan said:

We are going to Barcalona for a friendly too on the 24th between Newcastle and Palace 

“I cannot ignore the fact that after this important game there is a season coming up, so we have to extend our pre-season into the season,” Klopp said in his press conference previewing the Community Shield encounter.

“We play on Saturday against City and we play on Sunday a pre-season friendly against Strasbourg.

“Then we play Fulham and the next day we play another game just so that we can extend our pre-season. That’s what we have to do, because from mid-August, I think, we play every three days again, so there’s no time for training anymore.

“So we try to do the right things, but of course the schedule is always a challenge to deal with and that’s how it is. It’s not the first time, it’s always like this.”

According to the Echo, the friendly will be a behind closed doors clash against Steven Gerrard’s Aston Villa.

The Reds took on the same opposition in a similar friendly this time last year, one day after their opening day victory against Norwich.

Those who weren’t involved at Carrow Road featured against Villa the next day, and that will be the case again this time around, as Klopp looks to give his whole squad more valuable minutes.

There will then be a nine-day gap before Liverpool’s next fixture, when they’ll host Crystal Palace in their first home league game of the season on Monday, August 15.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

It's unusual to have a World Cup in December

Shouldn't have travelled the world for pre-season either then :ph34r: (along with all the other clubs that do). 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Shouldn't have travelled the world for pre-season either then :ph34r: (along with all the other clubs that do). 

I think Klopp has made clear previously, without being disrespectful to those who turn out, that he doesn't like the far way tours. Out of his hands though.

• Subscriber

While I agree its a very congested and also unusual period its just the nature of how things go and some teams will benefit while others wont. I truly believe we're headed into a very injury prone January post the WC because these players are going to be fatigued and still have to grind out games faster than they would normally have to due to the season being on.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

While I agree its a very congested and also unusual period its just the nature of how things go and some teams will benefit while others wont. I truly believe we're headed into a very injury prone January post the WC because these players are going to be fatigued and still have to grind out games faster than they would normally have to due to the season being on.

I think a lot of clubs that have international players are going to be finding this season to be absolute carnage injury wise. I don't think there's any way around it due to FIFA deciding that the best world cup host is the one that throws them the biggest bag of cash, regardless of whether it fucks up the normal football schedule.

I suspect we'll see more rotating than we ever have from Klopp before, but who knows.

Before the World Cup will be the most difficult period because of how the Champions League games are crammed into a shorter period. That's before you consider the five extra league games (compared to same stage last season) before they break for the World Cup. 

I don't think we'll have as many players going to the World Cup as you might think though so hopefully that will be a good chance for some key players to rest. I've counted Liverpool could have a maximum of 10 going to the World Cup, with there being doubts over one or two actually being picked for their country (not counted players like Gomez who could technically be picked but almost certainly won't). Compare that to Man City and they've got 15 possibly going which is almost all of their senior players.