talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

What’s the talk of Pep Lijnders having more and more influence on the team? And it being a negative?

He’s been at Liverpool for all of their recent successes, why is it now potentially a bad thing?

Edited by Danny

1 minute ago, Danny said:

What’s the talk of Pep Lijnders having more and more influence on the team? And it being a negative?

He’s been at Liverpool for all of their recent successes, why is it now potentially a bad thing?

Some people are claiming our tactical shift this season is very much like the tactics he had while managing in Holland, which had his team looking like dogshit until he got the sack. He also wrote this book that is full of quotes that make him look like an egotistical cunt that thinks his farts smell like roses. And it's really easy to criticise him after reading some of those quotes.

I've got no idea what his influence on the side really is. I'd like to think with so much of the season gone, he and Klopp would adapt instead of sticking to the same shit tactics that... didn't even work in the Netherlands... rather than persist with something that has us looking shit. But none of us have really any idea what's going on behind closed doors at the club.

Honestly though it looks like there's a lot of turmoil at the club. Ward leaving at the end of the season, when he's only started in his role in the summer. The issue with club doctors and physios all quitting/getting sacked (depending on who you believe). FSG saying they want to sell, then saying they don't want to sell, then saying "we're open to selling but we're also open to keeping the club."

It's a stark and sudden contrast to how FSG had been previously running things before, where we looked like a side that was all on the same page and had a long-term plan to go along with short-term goals. 

I'm as frustrated as anyone with how this season has panned out but people need to stop pretending that Liverpool don't spend. 5th highest spenders in the league since Klopp took over and one of the highest wage bills.

A season of transition has been made more difficult with the injuries. We all know the midfield needs reinforcements but I'm happy to work on the assumption that they're waiting for the ones at the very top of their list to become available. I mean Klopp's been here fucking ages now and repeats that on an almost weekly basis during transfer windows but we still have people saying it's because those above him don't want to spend the money.

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm as frustrated as anyone with how this season has panned out but people need to stop pretending that Liverpool don't spend. 5th highest spenders in the league since Klopp took over and one of the highest wage bills.

A season of transition has been made more difficult with the injuries. We all know the midfield needs reinforcements but I'm happy to work on the assumption that they're waiting for the ones at the very top of their list to become available. I mean Klopp's been here fucking ages now and repeats that on an almost weekly basis during transfer windows but we still have people saying it's because those above him don't want to spend the money.

I mean I think the Bellingham shit is just to pretend like they're going to spend a load of money before inevitably saying "nah we can't afford him, here's Nunes from Wolves - enjoy" - like the midfielder that Real Madrid ended up getting last summer.

the whinging is a bit much, he has made the biggest signing so far this window while Arsenal, City, Newcastle, Spurs have done nothing and Man U have only loaned a player.

Liverpool's midfield situation is down to Klopp preceding continuity, he didn't know nor is it predicted that Thiago and Fabinho would fall off the cliff.

he has been backed with 140m on two forwards, while Nunez was needed, Gapko could have been left out for a new midfielder.

28 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

the whinging is a bit much, he has made the biggest signing so far this window while Arsenal, City, Newcastle, Spurs have done nothing and Man U have only loaned a player.

Liverpool's midfield situation is down to Klopp preceding continuity, he didn't know nor is it predicted that Thiago and Fabinho would fall off the cliff.

he has been backed with 140m on two forwards, while Nunez was needed, Gapko could have been left out for a new midfielder.

Yes. It is one aspect of Liverpool that can grate. They perhaps are funded, like Man United, on self generated income. Yes, there is perhaps a false income for some clubs, with some owners.

But the level of sympathy & portrayal as some kind of Robin Hood club, is an insular thing. When to everyone outside they spent massive money on many players in the team. Often attracting players from lesser fan-funded clubs. Lesser brand names, shifting less replica shirts in every corner of the planet.

And, I agree on Gakpo. It doesn't make immediate sense to me. But perhaps the 'right' midfielder/s just aren't doable right now? Bellingham & Enzo Fernandez both linked, but both supposedly more than Grealish.

7 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

He's probably sick of being asked the same question every time he sits in front of the press.

They went for Gapko presumably because of the price and he was easily obtainable in January. That probably isn't the case for the midfielder they want. They also had three forwards out injured with no idea when they will be available.