talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Pereira. Hold him under the fucking water.

Still blows my mind how much he's played for you this season (granted your midfield injuries are pretty bad so I guess it's not that surprising). He's a player that's really good at looking busy without actually doing anything. If he had an English name, like Andrew Pearson, he'd be at a midtable championship club or some shite like that.

No idea how he's at Man Utd tbh. Whichever manager was responsible for bringing him in should feel a bit bad that they're a football manager.

Summer prioritising...

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1224291025792966657

Liverpool's priority is to lock down the world’s best centre-back (Virgil van Dijk) and goalkeeper (Alisson Becker) for the long-term with both wanting extended contracts. [Melissa Reddy]

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Genuinely didn't see or hear about it so not going to comment on something I have no idea happened?!

Think that proves his point tbh. The media coverage on this is next to nothing, therefore the public outcry against it is next to nothing.

So you don’t have those about drunk idiots being drunk idiots being blown into “this whole fan base are drunk yobs”.

I shudder to think what the press would say about us if a group of fans threw flares at Ian Ayre’s house in the Gillett and Hicks days, considering how many in the media seemed to think our protests against their ownership were “over the top” and that Liverpool fans should pipe down about their shit owners. The sun showed them all stories about Scousers behaving badly sells papers/gets clicks - the media’s always been quick to criticise our fans anytime they’re given an excuse to.

We get a lot of positive media in a footballing sense as one of the biggest clubs in the country and a lot of our ex-players becoming pundits and/or commentators. We also get a lot of negative stories that take up sports news cycles more than they’d do if it was another club.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Think that proves his point tbh. The media coverage on this is next to nothing, therefore the public outcry against it is next to nothing.

Partly proves it. The dig towards members on the forum made it clear what his point was.

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

Partly proves it. The dig towards members on the forum made it clear what his point was.

He did say “and beyond”. Think he’s just calling out football fans at large for faux outrage more than getting a specific dig in at members tbh

44 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Remember when people were questioning Liverpool defensively earlier in the season, some outsiders even called the defence 'shit'? 15 goals conceded, which is the same after 25 games last season

I specifically remember the Chelsea game were you were conceding chances all over the shop, and it was rightfully criticised. Gomez makes a big difference.

51 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Remember when people were questioning Liverpool defensively earlier in the season, some outsiders even called the defence 'shit'? 15 goals conceded, which is the same after 25 games last season

With the greatest of respects @LFCMike, I don't think those people genuinely would have believed the defence was 'Shit' as you state.

However, two clean sheets in Liverpool's first fifteen PL games is definitely more than enough reason for said fans to think that defensively Liverpool looked vulnerable. How can it not?

I've certainly never stated they are 'shit'. But I will hold my hands up and say I thought the first couple months of the season you rode your luck when the defensive unit was looking fragile and I stand by that 100%

All credit to them for conceding once in the last 9 league games. Great run and look more like the defence of last season. Perhaps the fact there has been less dicking about with the other centre back next to Van Dijk which has contributed to that.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

With the greatest of respects @LFCMike, I don't think those people genuinely would have believed the defence was 'Shit' as you state.

However, two clean sheets in Liverpool's first fifteen PL games is definitely more than enough reason for said fans to think that defensively Liverpool looked vulnerable. How can it not?

I've certainly never stated they are 'shit'. But I will hold my hands up and say I thought the first couple months of the season you rode your luck when the defensive unit was looking fragile and I stand by that 100%

All credit to them for conceding once in the last 9 league games. Great run and look more like the defence of last season. Perhaps the fact there has been less dicking about with the other centre back next to Van Dijk which has contributed to that.

I think there have been 2 reasons we’ve improved at the back from the start of the season.

First we lost our starting goalkeeper early on in the season - midway through the first match. Adrian did well in his absence, for sure, and I am very happy with him as a replacement for Mignolet/Karius. But losing a starting keeper does make a defense a bit more shaky. And when Alisson did come back, he was a bit rusty - but now he looks to be in full swing. And I think that makes a difference

Second reason is young Gomez is much better than Lovren & Matip

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think there have been 2 reasons we’ve improved at the back from the start of the season.

First we lost our starting goalkeeper early on in the season - midway through the first match. Adrian did well in his absence, for sure, and I am very happy with him as a replacement for Mignolet/Karius. But losing a starting keeper does make a defense a bit more shaky. And when Alisson did come back, he was a bit rusty - but now he looks to be in full swing. And I think that makes a difference

Second reason is young Gomez is much better than Lovren & Matip

Couldn't agree more. I think it probably is fair to say it disrupted you and created uncertainty back there. 

Right up till you played Everton in December, you'd had 8 games won by a single goal, pretty much mostly 2-1's.

So teams always felt like they had been in the game with you and lost out by a piece of bad luck, VAR, missed chance etc. Was easy to see why people would have commented on the defence or Liverpool not being the team they quite were.

I think we all half expected a slip up in truth, but it never materialised and then you just clicked like a well oiled machine. Rest is history.

5 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I specifically remember the Chelsea game were you were conceding chances all over the shop, and it was rightfully criticised. Gomez makes a big difference.

I don't remember us 'conceding chances all over the shop'. Another exaggeration by yourself I think. Mount had one after Chelsea pulled one back in that game that he should have done better with I think.

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

I stated at the time that we were still pretty solid defensively. Still only conceding one goal or less. Not matching the high standards of the start of last season didn't mean Liverpool were vulnerable defensively. 

16 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Not an exaggeration at all, Tammy Abraham was clean through at least once also. You were on the run in that game. I know you think refusing to ever be anything but a sycophant towards your team makes you a better fan but it really doesn't.

Absolutely not and I think I've proven that numerous times on here.

So let's say Chelsea had two or three clear-ish chances in that game. Still doesn't mean Liverpool were vulnerable defensively around that time. Unless we're expecting perfection every game. They were still seeing out most games comfortably even if the scorelines made the opposition think they had a chance

10 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Not everyone is the same, I understand that. But I'm one of those that would much rather us win 2 - 0 than 8 - 3. 

I love a clean sheet because it means the team as a whole are playing well defensively as well as in an attacking sense.

So yeah, earlier in the season I made a few light hearted comments about it annoying me that we were giving away silly goals in most games. Shoot me. 

I never said we were shite defensively though and even laughed at certain people on here who said we were. I just wanted us to improve slightly defensively and we have, largely because (as you say) we are much more settled now with our first choice goalkeeper and defenders.

I remember you Mike saying at the time that clean sheets were overrated. Well I said at the time that I disagreed and I disagree now. It's obvious isnt it? If you dont concede then you cant lose. And with the attacking options we have it is always likely we will score a goal, which means we win the game.

Clean sheets are just as important as goals in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Not everyone is the same, I understand that. But I'm one of those that would much rather us win 2 - 0 than 8 - 3. 

I love a clean sheet because it means the team as a whole are playing well defensively as well as in an attacking sense.

So yeah, earlier in the season I made a few light hearted comments about it annoying me that we were giving away silly goals in most games. Shoot me. 

I never said we were shite defensively though and even laughed at certain people on here who said we were. I just wanted us to improve slightly defensively and we have, largely because (as you say) we are much more settled now with our first choice goalkeeper and defenders.

I remember you Mike saying at the time that clean sheets were overrated. Well I said at the time that I disagreed and I disagree now. It's obvious isnt it? If you dont concede then you cant lose. And with the attacking options we have it is always likely we will score a goal, which means we win the game.

Clean sheets are just as important as goals in my opinion. 

I certainly don't remember saying that clean sheets are overrated! xD My point was always that Liverpool were still defending well as a unit generally. Yes there was a couple of games where they gave teams opportunities to get back into games (Southampton away springs to mind in particular in being a nervy ending). I think some of our least assured defensive displays came in Europe earlier in the season though.

The original post wasn't aimed at you or indeed any of the reds on here by the way. You seemed a little defensive with that post! xD