talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

Obviously shit like this shouldn't happen but I'm amazed the club or the players themselves don't pay for security. Not necessarily 24/7 but certainly when they're going to be away from their property for a while or over night.

I think there are Liverpool players who could have gotten it, but I disagree with any outrage over De Bruyne not getting it. 

His figures are ridiculous but he's become a bit of a system player for City - play a combination with the right-winger, get the ball in the right-hand channel, curl a cross to the backpost, assist. 

When it works he can easily get a goal and multiple assists in a game, and when it's not working he looks a bit lost. He's much like an encapsulation of City in general, the stats are padded out by lots of meaningless demolitions, and they gloss over many key moments where they came up short. 

Henderson is nowhere near as talented a player but he's entrusted with responsibility to pick the team up and push them forward, to do something unexpected in tough games, and he delivers.

He thrives in a much more difficult role, for a better team.

• Subscriber

Henderson has not been a better player than De Bruyne this season. Individual awards shouldn't be given out based on team achievements. I'll readily accept that the Team of the Year could be De Bruyne and 10 Liverpool players with the possible exception of Vardy instead of Firmino. Liverpool have been that good across the board. But Henderson hasn't had a better season than De Bruyne whichever way you want to spin it.

28 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I think there are Liverpool players who could have gotten it, but I disagree with any outrage over De Bruyne not getting it. 

His figures are ridiculous but he's become a bit of a system player for City - play a combination with the right-winger, get the ball in the right-hand channel, curl a cross to the backpost, assist. 

When it works he can easily get a goal and multiple assists in a game, and when it's not working he looks a bit lost. He's much like an encapsulation of City in general, the stats are padded out by lots of meaningless demolitions, and they gloss over many key moments where they came up short. 

Henderson is nowhere near as talented a player but he's entrusted with responsibility to pick the team up and push them forward, to do something unexpected in tough games, and he delivers.

Heavy irony. Henderson massively benefits from the system around him, ask him to do more and you get results like England v Croatia 

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Like Henderson is to get the ball, and give it to the front 3 :ph34r:

Both players have been superb and both players have performed when it mattered. Both players very much work in the systems they're asked to flourish in. 

Football shouldnt be just about stats. DeBruyne has the assists and some goals, but he doesnt compare to Henderson when it comes to leadership, tenacity and the power to push every single player around him to be better when the chips are down. Henderson is deserving of the award for me. DeBruyne is more talented (the best in the league) but Henderson has been absolutely pivotal for the title winners this season.

Edited by Rick

• Subscriber

I think Hendo has come a long way for the club but Player of the Year? Nope don't think so. And the reason for me saying this is because you could arguably give it to so many of the players in the team because it doesn't work without all of them working together. That's the beauty of the system Klopp has created and it shows when any one of them is playing out of their position or he is forced to change tactics. I get why the writers did it because it makes for better reading than giving it to someone like KDB.

Edited by Mel81x

• Administrator
Just now, Rick said:

Football shouldnt be just about stats. DeBruyne has the assists and some goals, but he doesnt compare to Henderson when it comes to leadership, tenacity and the power to push every single player around him to be better when the chips are down. Henderson is deserving of the away for me. DeBruyne is more talented, but Henderson has been absolutely pivotal for the title winners.

To be fair, I've seen De Bruyne do that a hell of a lot more this season. 

De Bruyne sometimes stands out like a sore thumb when it comes to that side. Tracks back so much more, gets tackles in and spreads the play with ease. His ability to pick a pass on any part of the pitch is just ridiculous.

I agree football shouldn't just be about stats but the influence both have on their sides is pretty much the same.

• Subscriber

It's all subjective. It's not exactly a travesty that Henderson has won it by any measure. I do think De Bruyne has been head and shoulders the best performing individual in the league this season which is what I think it should be based on but it's far from the first time that an award like this has been given based on other factors such as leadership, team achievements, lifetime achievements (remember when Ryan Giggs was given Sports Personality of the Year for retiring from football when Jenson Button had won the F1 championship?).

59 minutes ago, Danny said:

Heavy irony. Henderson massively benefits from the system around him, ask him to do more and you get results like England v Croatia 

The system benefits from Henderson. 

City won the league practically without De Bruyne, whereas Liverpool noticeably dipped whenever forced to go without Henderson. 

Henderson in the right of Liverpool's midfield is largely what has enabled TAA and Salah to have the outstanding seasons they have had - he's the one they combine with, the right-sided defensive cover, and also the one who often stretches the play out right.

Edited by Inverted

City won the league in 2017/18 yet Salah won POTY given he was the only consistent player that produced great numbers. 

Things have virtually switched so KDB not winning it and adding to the fact Liverpool’s best player(s) didn’t even win, screams agenda. 

Edited by Cicero
  • Upvote 2

There probably is a big club factor, especially among writers (the more informed) clubs like Manchester City/Chelsea are still not considered particularly big and Liverpool/Manchester United instantly command more attention. It's only really on twitter/instagram that these clubs are considered 'elite'. A shame but then again it does counteract the deluge of shite you get from 'MCFCloyal' types on twitter who don't know who Mike Sumberbee is.

Edited by The Artful Dodger
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

There probably is a big club factor, especially among writers (the more informed) clubs like Manchester City/Chelsea are still not considered particularly big and Liverpool/Manchester United instantly command more attention. It's only really on twitter/instagram that these clubs are considered 'elite'. A shame but then again it does counteract the deluge of shite you get from 'MCFCloyal' types on twitter who don't know who Mike Sumberbee is.

I’ve seen Lee Bradbury and Paul Lake play more than most of these ‘fans’.

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

The system benefits from Henderson. 

City won the league practically without De Bruyne, whereas Liverpool noticeably dipped whenever forced to go without Henderson. 

Henderson in the right of Liverpool's midfield is largely what has enabled TAA and Salah to have the outstanding seasons they have had - he's the one they combine with, the right-sided defensive cover, and also the one who often stretches the play out right.

Because he is their captain, but go out and purposely sign a player to replace him and you can. Give the midfield time and they will.

You can’t replace KDB.

I’m not denying Henderson’s been phenomenal at what Klopp requires of him, but he benefits as a player from that system. Few clubs require so little creativity from their midfield as Liverpool do

• Upvote 1

"The winner will be from Liverpool, a Liverpool player. When we won the Premier League the Liverpool players won. When they win the League, I'm pretty sure they are going to win the Player of the Season. These awards are always for Liverpool,” Guardiola said in a post-match interview on BBC Radio Five Live this week.

Guardiola is a whining cunt. Sterling won the FWA award last year

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
Just now, Cicero said:

KDB for me is the second best player on the planet 

I would have him and Agüero in my team any day, even when KDB has been injured for a while he will come back and demolish teams, a brilliant player and I have said that all along.

Guardiola appears on the precipice of a breakdown over Liverpool. I remember when he had a meltdown and ran away from Barcelona because of Mourinho, I forgave him because Barcelona is seriously high pressure and Mourinho is one of the most obnoxious personalities going but it seems he just gets a bit upset about being beaten. At least he's staying this time.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

Kevin de Bruyne over Henderson every single time. The former is one of the premier players in the world, and the later is an elite water-carrier; which just aren't as rare as a player like de Bruyne.

• Haha 1