talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Well with Old Trafford they just started building upwards to expand the capacity.

Yes they added tiers but they had much more surrounding space. Even when you build upwards, it still comes outwards. It's not possible at Anfield because the surrounding area is too compact. It's all been looked into mate. 

Edited by LFCMadLad

42 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I really can't see them expanding Anfield to then move location to be fair. 

Obviously not now but that's probably what should have happened. Moores, Gillett and Hicks and FSG have all fucked up on the stadium for me

Liverpool dwarf Manchester City in terms of fanbse, in fact only Manchester United have a larger fanbase than Liverpool.

FSG are businessmen looking for the financial payoff, they won't increase the attendance anymore I don't think. They wanted to do the Anfield Road End but only with premium tickets, the rightful protest from Liverpool fans put paid from that. It might take new ownership to see Liverpool get a capacity which actually comes close to matching their support.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Liverpool dwarf Manchester City in terms of fanbse, in fact only Manchester United have a larger fanbase than Liverpool.

FSG are businessmen looking for the financial payoff, they won't increase the attendance anymore I don't think. They wanted to do the Anfield Road End but only with premium tickets, the rightful protest from Liverpool fans put paid from that. It might take new ownership to see Liverpool get a capacity which actually comes close to matching their support.

I think we'll be under new ownership within 3 years, there's rumours rumbling already. 

I agree with most of what you say btw, the only thing you're wrong about is Annie Rd being premium tickets. The extra 4'800 seats were/are actually going out to the general public at standard prices  which is a great thing as that means mainly scousers which would improve the atmosphere no end. 

Edited by LFCMadLad

53 minutes ago, Spike said:

Does stadium size really have that much influence on a club? I'd a thought the money from Sky/whatever other sponsors would dwarf ticketing.

It isn't as significant as it used to be for sure. 

Someone above said we should by aiming for a stadium the size of Uniteds which is around 75k, but if we get to 60k... Is 15k less such a detriment in the grand scheme of things? I don't think so, especially when you factor in our commercial deals and general merchandise sales compared to clubs in and around us like Chelsea, City, Arsenal & Spurs. 

As said already, there's only a handful of clubs with a bigger fan base than ours in the world which more than makes up for 15 thousand seats  

Edited by LFCMadLad

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Someone above said we should by aiming for a stadium the size of Uniteds which is around 75k, but if we get to 60k... Is 15k less such a detriment in the grand scheme of things? I don't think so, especially when you factor in our commercial deals and general merchandise sales compared to clubs in and around us like Chelsea, City, Arsenal & Spurs. 

As said already, there's only a handful of clubs with a bigger fan base than ours in the world which more than makes up for 15 thousand seats  

So out of curiosity, does Liverpool (and Everton) bring a lot of international tourism to Liverpool? An English (Bournemouth) friend of mine said that Liverpool really isn't as bad as it's reputation holds it up to be. I imagine that if it did bring tourism an extra 15k would only be good for the city at least.

8 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I was only saying last week how foreign interest has boomed at the ground in recent years. Every single week there's overseas supporters in my stand and it's great to see. We seem to be a team that people throughout Europe and Asia want to come and watch and that can only be a good thing. I obviously can't answer for Liverpool but considering around 80% of their fanbase was born in Norway you'd think they'd get a lot of tourism too :ph34r:

The city itself is in good shape if Liverpool can sort their owners out. Everton are on the up and through gritted teeth I'd say that Liverpool are already at a fantastic level (if not stagnating somewhat). If both clubs can get their act together the city can be the ''home of football'' in 20 years from now and I wouldn't argue against that vision.

Edit: In regards to the reputation Liverpool has you're right in saying that it's not as bad as it's made out to be. As with any city there's a few dives here and there full of pond life but on the whole it isn't bad. I wouldn't choose to live there myself but wouldn't tar the whole population with a bad brush.

How are we stagnating xD

First we hired one of the most sought after managers in the world, then last summer we expanded Anfield and this summer we are upgrading and merging our training facilities?

Thats not stagnation, that's progress! 

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I was hinting more at the ownership upstairs, you know my feelings on Klopp and what he can bring to the club if he's given the time to do so. 

As with any owners, they are innit to make a mint, not for the love of the club. 

As far as owners go I'd say we could do a lot worse, we've certainly progressed and been dragged from the dark ages under them! 

They bought us for around £300m and now (last time I looked) we were worth about £1.7B. 

They'll now be looking to sell and we (Liverpool fans) are just hoping the buyers are ok. One thing is for sure though... whoever does take over next will obviously be seriously rich, otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford us in the first place. 

Last I heard it was an Arab Prince looking to buy a share :|

8 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

With the billions that he made from running a taxi firm, owning property in Liverpool, managing a hotel and being third in line to the Bahrain crown it might be Halewood mate. 

I'd be worried. 

xD

Im shitting bricks mate :/

10 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think we'll be under new ownership within 3 years, there's rumours rumbling already. 

I agree with most of what you say btw, the only thing you're wrong about is Annie Rd being premium tickets. The extra 4'800 seats were/are actually going out to the general public at standard prices  which is a great thing as that means mainly scousers which would improve the atmosphere no end. 

Ian Ayre basically said after the Main Stand was completed that they weren't going to do the Anfield Road end because they couldn't get premium seats in there.

9 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

It's not just about the matchday revenue though. Liverpool have already lost a generation of young, local match-going support because of ticket prices and the demand for tickets. A bigger stadium would help solve this issue. Yeah they may have done a very small percentage of £9 tickets since the capacity increase but that's not enough

8 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

How are we stagnating xD

First we hired one of the most sought after managers in the world, then last summer we expanded Anfield and this summer we are upgrading and merging our training facilities?

Thats not stagnation, that's progress! 

Until there's anything to show for it on the pitch then I don't think you can say we've progressed.

• Administrator

A big Stadium doesn't qualify a club as successful, its merely a means to bring money into the club if the location is right and the interest is their from supporters to corporate sponsors alike. And I mention the latter because they will be investing in the club sufficiently to justify filling sections of the ground with plastic fans to bring in revenue.

Essentially a large stadium these days is a statement of importance but it doesn't always pay dividends. Coventry got fucked up the arse over the Ricoh arena, the Stadio Delle Alpi was widely unpopular and fans didn't pack it out for Juve and for West Ham the Olympic Stadium just isn't fit for purpose.

Which as tangential as that all is, if Liverpool want a bigger ground it's either about money or it's not and it's about getting true fans to games because supply and demand will allow the club to charge through the nose for tickets. 

He's right though.  Its all well and good talking about bringing in a great manager,  building a new stand,  building a new academy complex but the fact is that we are still a way off winning anything,  we look no closer this season than any of the previous 2

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, FOYM said:

He's right though.  Its all well and good talking about bringing in a great manager,  building a new stand,  building a new academy complex but the fact is that we are still a way off winning anything,  we look no closer this season than any of the previous 2

I'd say as a neutral you look better this season than previous but you're lacking in quality in defence and without Mane, you lack thrust 

Mane has definitely improved us going forward  but were always at risk of throwing every result away.  I don't trust this team to keeps leads in games against  'smaller'  opposition,  that's a horrible feeling to have 

Edited by FOYM

41 minutes ago, FOYM said:

A way off winning anything? We've been to 5 finals, a semi final and come within a whisker of winning the league within the last 5 years? 

Hiring Klopp, expanding the stadium and upgrading/merging the training facilities and academy is laying the foundations to be competitive. 

Who said that?  

Listen,  I think Klopp is a great manager. You don't do what he did with Mainz and Dormund by being average.  That being said,  he's made some mistakes,  some of them glaring,  and he's still making them.  I expect that to and extent with this squad,  but it doesn't change the fact that we haven't progressed much lately. 

1 minute ago, FOYM said:

Who said that?  

Listen,  I think Klopp is a great manager. You don't do what he did with Mainz and Dormund by being average.  That being said,  he's made some mistakes,  some of them glaring,  and he's still making them.  I expect that to and extent with this squad,  but it doesn't change the fact that we haven't progressed much lately. 

Who said what?

• Administrator

Klopp is a good manager, he's had some bad times too but he's still young and his principles seem very sound. I agree with some pundits, it seems the players lack the motivation against smaller clubs because against the top 6 Liverpool look imperious 

• The title was changed to Liverpool Discussion