talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Karius made another mistake last night in the friendly against Dortmund.

Surely his confidence is about 0 on a scale of 0-1000000. Obviously the CL error and now knowing he's going to be replaced by Alisson. His head must be all over the place (not just because of the concussion). I feel for him but surely the best thing Klopp can do is not put him in the limelight even more for a bit?  Give him a break and leave him out of the public eye for a bit?

I don't think being dropped for friendlies will do his confidence any good. Friendlies ffs

I agree with @RandoEFC that a loan spell would be good for him. He needs game time to get past his current difficulties and he's not going to get that at Liverpool. Even if he did, the media circus would do him no good at all and there would be fingers pointed at him every time we concede a goal, whether he's at fault or not. In fact, as much as I like Karius and think he's a decent keeper, I wonder if he has the mental strength to be one at the highest level, so maybe a permanent move would be in everyone's best interests.

I think the plan at the moment is for Karius to be backup to Alisson as Mignolet's insisting he wants to leave, but I think we're going to seriously struggle to find a buyer for the Belgian. It may be best to keep him as backup and move Karius instead.

Edited by Burning Gold

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Rick said:

What mistake did he make? I was only able to get a stream working round the 55 min mark.

Dortmund's 3rd.

Pulisic's shot perhaps could have been caught but if not, the worse thing Karius could do (and did) was palm it in to the centre of the 6 yard box where Larsen was waiting. Not on the scale of error as a couple of months ago and the one against Tranmere, but an error/mistake nonetheless.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Karius made another mistake last night in the friendly against Dortmund.

Surely his confidence is about 0 on a scale of 0-1000000. Obviously the CL error and now knowing he's going to be replaced by Alisson. His head must be all over the place (not just because of the concussion). I feel for him but surely the best thing Klopp can do is not put him in the limelight even more for a bit?  Give him a break and leave him out of the public eye for a bit?

I do feel sorry for him. The abuse on social media is way over the mark at times. That can't be helping his mental state. He probably needs to come off it or get someone managing his social media accounts. 

He was far from perfect pre-Kiev but if he got back to that I'd be happy with him as number two. I just don't think he has the mentality to get back to that. It looks like Kiev has completely broken him.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Dortmund's 3rd.

Pulisic's shot perhaps could have been caught but if not, the worse thing Karius could do (and did) was palm it in to the centre of the 6 yard box where Larsen was waiting. Not on the scale of error as a couple of months ago and the one against Tranmere, but an error/mistake nonetheless.

I'd say that's barely an error. The shot came is so quick he did well to get a palm to it, 90% of keepers do the same. But obviously, it's now magnified.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Rick said:

I'd say that's barely an error. The shot came is so quick he did well to get a palm to it, 90% of keepers do the same. But obviously, it's now magnified.

it wasn't that quick at all. It's obviously an error given it's led to their goal?

Same could be said of the defenders needing to block the first shot and react quicker to Karius doing that - but my point was more that Karius should be doing better and the way that he's saved the shot reflects his low confidence - tamely palming it in to a crowded penalty area. 

I'm not sure taking to social media is going to stop the abuse for him, people will now see they can get a reaction... so if anything it'll probably invite more abuse. I feel for the lad, but he's under the microscope now and I think social media is just going to increase the further scrutiny. I think he needs to be out of the spotlight tbh. I don't know whether that's just keeping him on the bench, letting him go somewhere on loan for a year, or outright selling him. I think at this point though, any mistake he ever makes is going to just have all of this shite piling on top of him and he's completely out of confidence.

• Subscriber

You can tell things are bad when you can see Everton fan pages and general fans calling out the small minority of Liverpool fans on Twitter who are posting stupid shit like "imagine the day when Karius finally dies" or whatever the one I saw earlier was. Some people really do have problems. It's also pre-season for fuck's sake, who gives a shit how many footballs he wants to throw into his own net.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You can tell things are bad when you can see Everton fan pages and general fans calling out the small minority of Liverpool fans on Twitter who are posting stupid shit like "imagine the day when Karius finally dies" or whatever the one I saw earlier was. Some people really do have problems. It's also pre-season for fuck's sake, who gives a shit how many footballs he wants to throw into his own net.

The amount of shit he's getting on social media is fucking crazy. People are fucking stupid. And if he's going to make stupid errors, wouldn't we want them made in meaningless pre-season matches rather than in matches where shit happens? He's still young and clearly out of confidence, of course he's going to make fucking mistakes.

I feel really bad for him.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Some of our fans really can be cunts sometimes.

They obviously don't know the meaning of YNWA 

that's literally the first thing I thought of when I saw one bellend fan of your club wishing that he was dead. Did not understand at all. 

We probably should just sell Karius now, It's the best thing for everyone involved. I don't think he's gonna recover just sitting on the bench knowing his chances will be limited that will probably cause him even more anxiety when he's called upon in cup games especially with the fans on his back as well. He should just leave and try to rebuild his career elsewhere but I doubt there will be many takers.

Edited by UNORTHODOX

No surprise that there could be a number of players out the door in the next couple of weeks:

Liverpool have placed a £27million price tag on Divock Origi as Jurgen Klopp looks to trim his squad ahead of the new season.

There could be up to seven departures over the coming fortnight - potentially generating up to £100million in sales.

The Reds are open to offers for Origi, who has struggled to impress since returning from a loan spell at Wolfsburg.

Liverpool want 30million Euros (£27million) for the Belgium international with Valencia keen to secure his services.

Danny Ings, Marko Grujic, Sheyi Ojo, Lazar Markovic, Simon Mignolet and Pedro Chirivella are also expected to move on during the current window.

Ings, who didn't travel on the club's pre-season tour of America, wants to leave in search of regular first-team football.

The Reds will demand £20million for the former Burnley frontman, who is being pursued by Southampton, Crystal Palace, Leicester City and Newcastle United.

Klopp doesn't want to lose Ings but understands his reasons for wanting to seek a new challenge.

Grujic's future has yet to be decided. Lazio want to sign him permanently but Liverpool would need to receive a bid of around £20million for the young Serbian midfielder.

The Reds' preference is for the 22-year-old to sign a new contract and then be loaned out. Cardiff City already have a loan deal agreed in principle.

Liverpool will command a fee of £15million for Ojo, who spent last season at Fulham. If that asking price isn't met then a loan move is likely to be sanctioned.

Reds winger Markovic is valued at around £7million and he has been the subject of interest from Anderlecht, Leganes and Getafe.

Liverpool have already sold Danny Ward to Leicester City for £12.5million and they will seek a similar fee for Mignolet.

Fulham have inquired about the availability of the Belgian shot-stopper but were put off by the size of the fee.

Nottingham Forest and Swansea City have registered their interest in Chirivella. The Spanish youngster, who was on loan at Willem II last season, is valued at around £5million.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-set-divock-origi-price-14944134

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

£15m for Ojo and £27m for Origi O.o

Mad isn't it but when you think Liverpool have got stupid fees for players like Ibe, Ward, Benteke, Sakho and possibly one or two others over the last couple of years it wouldn't be surprising if they did it again

Those fees are pretty ambitious, but we're hardly going to come out and say we'll let Markovic go for nothing to any cunts stupid enough to take him, even if that is closer to the truth. Curious that Sturridge isn't mentioned there, though. Are we giving him another chance?

7 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Those fees are pretty ambitious, but we're hardly going to come out and say we'll let Markovic go for nothing to any cunts stupid enough to take him, even if that is closer to the truth. Curious that Sturridge isn't mentioned there, though. Are we giving him another chance?

Seems that way. I don't mind him staying around the squad, I don't think there's any harm in it. I just hope we're not relying on him to be the direct back up to Firmino.

6 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Seems that way. I don't mind him staying around the squad, I don't think there's any harm in it. I just hope we're not relying on him to be the direct back up to Firmino.

I haven't seen any of our pre-season games this year, but apparently he's been playing in a slightly deeper role, which could be less demanding on his ludicrously fragile body.

10 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I haven't seen any of our pre-season games this year, but apparently he's been playing in a slightly deeper role, which could be less demanding on his ludicrously fragile body.

Hes actually been our second best player pre-season behind Kieta. 

Again (and we say this every summer), if we can keep Sturridge fit then he is a top class player to rotate with our front three, or even just behind them. 

It's a big 'IF' though!