• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber

Liverpool’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain could struggle upon return

By Tom Procter

Published on December 27, 2018

Liverpool midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain faces a huge battle to play regular football at the club, with almost all of the club’s midfield options having raised their games.

Oxlade-Chamberlain got injured during the Champions League quarter-final first leg against Manchester City last season.

The Englishman damaged his anterior cruciate ligament and subsequently missed out on the final in Kiev against Real Madrid and going to the World Cup.

He was expected to miss a large chunk of the 2018/19 season, but the player has suggested he could be back sooner rather than later with a post to his Instagram.

The ex-Arsenal man uploaded a picture of him jogging with coaches with the caption: “That feeling when you’re finally back out on the grass for the first time in 8 months.”

Patience will be a virtue

It is not known exactly when Chamberlain will be back available for selection, but his social media post is definitely encouraging.

But he might have some trouble getting back into the side, with a number of players having starred in his position this term.

Georginio Wijnaldum, in particular, has stood out in central midfield, and Jordan Henderson and James Milner have both been a solid form.

Fabinho has finally settled at Anfield and looks like he’ll be a big player for Jurgen Klopp, and another new recruit Naby Keita has shown signs of promise.

Xherdan Shaqiri has been played centrally on a number of occasions and looks like outstanding business at £13.5 million, and then there’s Adam Lallana who is beginning to get a bit more game time.

Chamberlain has it all to do when he returns. Luckily for him, he’d been in fantastic form before his injury so Klopp will know he can be very useful in the second half of the season.

https://tbrfootball.com/liverpools-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-could-struggle-upon-return/

Edited by CaaC - John

On 28/12/2018 at 19:08, José said:

You would think this lot would learn to not start celebrating prematurely! Until I see the Liverpool captain lifting a trophy I ain't falling for it. 

Nothing has changed but the squad. Before they used to live of the past with a old and overrated squad and no trophies. Now the squad has changed but still no trophies! Losing the CL to Bayern and then dominanting Sevilla for 45minutes just to watch them come back and yet another L in Klopp's final record. Good coach but all those Ls have obviously taken a toll on the poor coach in training.

How the mighty have fallen xD

On 28/12/2018 at 19:08, José said:

You would think this lot would learn to not start celebrating prematurely! Until I see the Liverpool captain lifting a trophy I ain't falling for it. 

Nothing has changed but the squad. Before they used to live of the past with a old and overrated squad and no trophies. Now the squad has changed but still no trophies! Losing the CL to Bayern and then dominanting Sevilla for 45minutes just to watch them come back and yet another L in Klopp's final record. Good coach but all those Ls have obviously taken a toll on the poor coach in training.

He's so poor.

I'm just so pissed off that we have Klopp instead of an interim manager that has been placed there because Mourinho has lost his fucking mind. 

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He's so poor.

I'm just so pissed off that we have Klopp instead of an interim manager that has been placed there because Mourinho has lost his fucking mind. 

What we need is a tactical mastermind that takes all the confidence from the side and goes to rivals set up like a conference side. Because to be a tactical mastermind, the trick is to just put as many men between the ball and your goal as possible.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What we need is a tactical mastermind that takes all the confidence from the side and goes to rivals set up like a conference side. Because to be a tactical mastermind, the trick is to just put as many men between the ball and your goal as possible.

I think our American owners should sack Klopp right away and hire Mourinho! 

The team spirit would shoot through the roof! 

7 minutes ago, José said:

xD at the end of the day, Mou delivered in his first year.

Even with all the negative football, it still managed to deliver what Klopp's squad is still desperately chasing, A TITLE. It all comes down to that and Klopp finally realized that the only way to have a chance is by doing the same exact thing he criticized Mou, heavy spending. 

:rofl:

Mourinho's heavy outlay was supposed to deliver a league title in the first couple of years. A Europa League and League Cup together with the dull, defensive football didn't cut it for most sane United fans. And rightly so after what they've been used to. Ok, it's two trophies but they're 4th and 5th in terms of priorities for United fans. 

• Upvote 2

I don't even care if it's bad defending... that Firmino goal might be my favourite of the season so far. I'm pretty sure the celebration in the stadium was particularly loud too.

https://streamable.com/s/y1r6x

What about Alisson's pass here leading to the first penalty call?

What's with Brazilian goalies and distribution these days by the way? Ali and Ederson in a league of their own in that aspect.

Edited by Machado
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Stan said:

Gonna take something spectacularly shit for Liverpool to not win the league this season. 

Not really mate. Look how quickly we've pulled above city. Things could go the other way just as quickly. 

I'm not disputing the position we're in but we'd be very foolish to get too far ahead of ourselves given how competitive this league is and the other competitions we've still got to contend....

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Harry said:

Not really mate. Look how quickly we've pulled above city. Things could go the other way just as quickly. 

I'm not disputing the position we're in but we'd be very foolish to get too far ahead of ourselves given how competitive this league is and the other competitions we've still got to contend....

9 points ahead by new years day is seriously impressive. 

The only thing not going for you is that not many of the players would have been in this position before. That was the criticism aimed at us last season for those that thought we'd bottle it. 

I still think it'll be a monumental fuck up to lose it from here. February going in to March, on paper, looks to be the tough part at the moment where you have Bayern twice, Everton and Man Utd. Should only take it a game at a time as the cliche goes but really can't see you losing it from here. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

9 points ahead by new years day is seriously impressive. 

The only thing not going for you is that not many of the players would have been in this position before. That was the criticism aimed at us last season for those that thought we'd bottle it. 

I still think it'll be a monumental fuck up to lose it from here. February going in to March, on paper, looks to be the tough part at the moment where you have Bayern twice, Everton and Man Utd. Should only take it a game at a time as the cliche goes but really can't see you losing it from here. 

Yeah that period will be a big test although others will arrive if we beat Bayern. This coming city game will be a big 6 pointer though and the reality is the gap to city is 7 points if they win their game in hand. It could be back down to 4 points by Jan 3rd if they win at home in which case it would be far from an unassailable lead. 

• Subscriber

I know Kevin Keegan is not a Jürgen Klopp and Newcastle are not a Liverpool but I remember in January 1996 when Keegan's Newcastle held a 12 point lead at the top of the table, and I know at this current time Man United are not a Man City but at the end of the season in 1996 a Manchester club ended up champions, just a thought.  :coffee:

Edit: Had the wrong table up at first, corrected :ay:

49086039_10156965868827855_1183720977079

Edited by CaaC - John

4 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

I know Kevin Keegan is not a Jürgen Klopp and Newcastle are not a Liverpool but I remember in January 1996 when Keegan's Newcastle held a 12 point lead at the top of the table, and I know at this current time Man United are not a Man City but at the end of the season in 1996 a Manchester club ended up champions, just a thought.  :coffee:

49012539_10156965859902855_7645522342180

What is that picture of because it isn't 96. I'm guessing it might be 97 when Dalglish was Newcastle manager?

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

What is that picture of because it isn't 96. I'm guessing it might be 97 when Dalglish was Newcastle manager?

I had edited and corrected my original post just before you posted this lol, I realized I had the wrong table up :ay:

49086039_10156965868827855_1183720977079

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, shut up said:

how did you manage to blow that lead? It was a bit before my time so can't remember it

@Harvsky would more than likely answer that better but I dug this up from Wikipedia.

Newcastle led the league for virtually all of the season from August until mid-March, and by Christmas had established a 10-point lead over Manchester United. Though they lost 2-0 at Old Trafford on 27 December, they still managed to extend this lead to 12 points on 20 January 1996, putting them in prime position for the title with 15 matches remaining. However, Manchester United – bolstered by the return of Eric Cantona from suspension – then enjoyed a surge in form, while Newcastle dropped vital points away to West Ham and Manchester City. A 1-0 win for Alex Ferguson's team at St James' Park on 4 March ended Newcastle's 100% home record in the league and cut their lead to a single point, and further away defeats at Arsenal, Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers allowed Manchester United to overtake them and establish a lead that would ultimately prove decisive.

Ferguson's mind games added further heat to the title race and provoked an infamous rant from Keegan live on Sky Sports on 29 April 1996, following his team's 1-0 win at Leeds United. A 1-1 draw at Nottingham Forest three days later left Newcastle needing to beat Tottenham Hotspur, and Manchester United needing to lose against Middlesbrough, if the title was to return to Tyneside for the first time since 1927. In the end, a 1-1 draw proved academic as Manchester United beat the Teessiders 3-0, thus winning by four points. Nonetheless, Newcastle's second place was their highest finish for decades – and a far cry from the position they had been in when Keegan had taken over four years earlier and third-tier football was looking inevitable.

Not to be deterred in his quest to bring the title back to Tyneside, Keegan purchased Newcastle-born striker Alan Shearer from Blackburn Rovers for a world-record fee of £15 million. However, he would resign as manager in January 1997.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995–96_Newcastle_United_F.C._season

Edited by CaaC - John

16 minutes ago, shut up said:

how did you manage to blow that lead? It was a bit before my time so can't remember it

We couldn't hang on to away leads basically. We did lose to Man Utd twice after amassing the lead which swung it somewhat.

We blew a lead at Man City to draw 3-3, then we lost away at West Ham and Arsenal. The lead was down to nothing by the end of March then came 2 famous fixtures. Liverpool beat us 4-3 at Anfield after we led 2-1 and 3-2 with Collymore scoring the winner at the death. A couple of weeks later we went to Blackburn, we were 1-0 up then with 3 minutes to go, a Geordie lad called Graham Fenton scored twice for Blackburn. Fans never forgave him and whenever he was seen back in Newcastle he would receive abuse on the street for fucking his home town team over. After that we won a few games but Man Utd just wouldn't falter, that's when Keegan cracked with 2 games to go and had his love it if we beat them rant.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Liverpool beat us 4-3 at Anfield after we led 2-1 and 3-2 with Collymore scoring the winner at the death.

That was some game that, I remember Keegan dropping his head in the dug-out when Collymore hit the winner, my son was only 20 then and got pissed as a newt that night with his college pals because Liverpool had won.