talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

After that we won a few games but Man Utd just wouldn't falter, that's when Keegan cracked with 2 games to go and had his love it if we beat them rant.

For the life of me I just can't see how Keegan lost the plot with the Newcastle side he had then with Warren Barton, Peter Beardsley, Les Ferdinand, Faustino Aspilla, David Ginola and he even got Alan Shearer for a world record £15 mill. in the team, some players they were.   

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, shut up said:

I have just been thinking that no one calls Man Utd bottlers for the 97/98 season when we won the league.

Lol, with SAF in charge of United and what he had won before the 97/98 season I don't think you could call United bottlers and remember the famous treble after the 97/98 season where we won nothing, 1998/99 we made up for that barren season and won the League, European Cup & FA Cup, not bad for bottlers if you could call them that.  :ay: 

Edited by CaaC - John
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
Just now, shut up said:

Sorry, not bottlers as a whole, but that they bottled the league that year.

I hate the term bottlers tbh, but it's weird how the media pick and chose who to call it.

Not to worry, it's just a saying, Kevin Keegan was strange as a manager leaving Newcastle twice then quitting as England manager just because they lost to Germany if I remember right so really you could class him as a bottler

Mind you I do not blame him for leaving Newcastle the second time as they had and still have an arse of an owner in Ashley who got Keegan back and then made Dennis Wise as his Director of Football overseeing Keegan, fucking stupid then Ashley is thick as two planks of wood. 

57 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Not to worry, it's just a saying, Kevin Keegan was strange as a manager leaving Newcastle twice then quitting as England manager just because they lost to Germany if I remember right so really you could class him as a bottler

Mind you I do not blame him for leaving Newcastle the second time as they had and still have an arse of an owner in Ashley who got Keegan back and then made Dennis Wise as his Director of Football overseeing Keegan, fucking stupid then Ashley is thick as two planks of wood. 

Keegan actually resigned several times at Newcastle :4_joy: he was talked out of most or given promises. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Inverted said:

Guardiola: even when I try to read a book, my mind drifts onto Liverpool and their front 3.

Pep has a front 3 fetish xD   ..he loves a front 3 sooo much he has the 2 best front 3's in England 

Sterling - Aguero - Sane

Bernardo - Jesus - Mahrez  

:ph34r:

It was quite documented that in previous seasons under Klopp and stretching back to Rodgers you struggled to break down teams at home. Could you lot tell me more about this? I know it was when teams were sitting really deep etc but why did you think it happened? What's different now? @Dr. Gonzo  @LFCMike @LFCMadLad @Harry @UNORTHODOX

Edited by carefreeluke

27 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

It was quite documented that in previous seasons under Klopp and stretching back to Rodgers you struggled to break down teams at home. Could you lot tell me more about this? I know it was when teams were sitting really deep etc but why did you think it happened? What's different now? @Dr. Gonzo  @LFCMike @LFCMadLad @Harry @UNORTHODOX

I think the simple answer is better footballers and more of them but there's obviously a bit more to it than that. Under Rodgers, mainly in 12/13 and 14/15, it was stop Suarez and then later Sturridge or Coutinho and you stop Liverpool.

In Klopp's first year to 18 months it wasn't necessarily always a case of us struggling to break teams down. We had a few results against lesser sides where we scored once or twice in a game at home but still failed to win. I can think of a few 2-2 draws and a 2-3 defeat to Swansea off the top of my head.

Alisson and Van Dijk have changed everything for this side. You never felt confident that we'd keep clean sheets before those two and we no longer have to score 3+ to guarantee a win. The options off the bench or when we make a few changes are obviously also much better now too.

With a stronger defence and midfield now too we've seen Klopp go with a 4-2-3-1 quite often this season to fit Shaqiri in which obviously helps our attacking options but hasn't taken much away from the defensive solidity.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Perhaps counterintuitively, the defensive players we've added have made a big difference in this regard. Alisson, Trent, van Dijk, Gomez, Robertson, and Fabinho are all very good passers of the ball which  draws out the opposition a little bit, and allows us to get the ball in dangerous positions much quicker. They're also snuffing out attacks earlier and winning the ball higher up the pitch than the players they replaced, meaning we're spending more time on the front foot and putting the opposition under pressure that eventually tells. @LFCMike mentioned our defensive improvement, which is obviously massive, but I think the contribution those same players make to the attack is overlooked sometimes.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

With Liverpool facing a defensive crisis as Lovren, Matip and Gomez all injured, they need someone from somewhere to step into the breach? Could it be time for that man again, that unsung hero...Stephen caulker?

Is Lovren being injured really a crisis?

13 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

It's a blessing in disguise.

Do you have any young CB's who may be given a chance?

It really isn't. Whatever you think of Lovren, he's a decent Premier League player who gets into most sides in the league.

We played a 16 year old kid there last night who is promising and had a decent game. No way is he ready for Premier League football though

Edited by LFCMike

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It really isn't. Whatever you think of Lovren, he's a decent Premier League player who gets into most sides in the league.

He wouldn’t even get in our team. He’s no Charlie Mulgrew. 

He's not one of the best defenders in the world like he claims, but Lovren's a lot better than he gets credit for. He's pocketed some of the best attackers in world football and on his day would start for almost every team in the league.

His problem is that when it's not his day he looks absolutely fucking dreadful.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JOSHBRFC said:

He's quite consistent at that, i'll give you that.

Nah he's fine most of the time. The problem is you know he has the odd performance in him where, as said above, he looks dreadful and that means he should only ever be back up to our two first choice CBs.

Edited by LFCMike