talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

How many of our matches have you even watched in your life?

I mean no offense from this at all, but I read the first sentence of this and I thought “oh look it’s a long post and it’s all going to be fucking bullshit.” The only thing that wasn’t bullshit in that post is that Balotelli has always been overrated and that lazy turd should have never been brought to our clubs

The fact of the matter is we only ever had one good season with Rodgers. He wasn’t cut out to be our manager despite that one season.

The best thing about Rodgers is he signed Firmino (had no clue how to use him, mind you) and we got Klopp after Rodgers was binned. Not even that good but very flawed season comes close to what he did for the club by bringing in Bobby and staying on despite being out of his depth until Klopp was ready to join us.

I still think he should never have been our manager. And I’m going to trust my opinion on my club more than I trust some outsiders opinion.

But you’re gonna see things differently so let’s just agree to disagree :)

90% of the 2013/14 season and a lot of the next season afterwards.

I stopped watching Liverpool and PL week by week at around 2016.

So don't claim I don't know. I even used to claim to be a Liverpool supporter, when I used to "support" 5 different clubs.

And as for this being bullshit, I don't speak in "bullshit". Sorry to say that to you but I don't think Rodgers is anywhere as bad as you make him out to be. Suarez may have carried the team, but he didn't carry Rodgers. If that's the case, then Messi carries Valverde, Ronaldo carried Zidane and Neymar carried Emery.

It's a myth because Rodgers pandered to him like he should have. Zidane did the same with Ronaldo.

I think Rodgers should get more credit for the 13/14 season than he does, he definitely has an intelligent mind and he brought a lot of out of those players. Much like this season, Manchester City had a vastly superior squad and on paper should have won at a canter. Rodgers' problem, as I mentioned, is his arrogance, the way he dealt with the Sterling saga was naive and he got it badly wrong, his signings (Sturridge and Coutinho aside) were largely appalling and I think the job was too much for him at his age. He may go on to be a good manager but he really got caught up with the high profile of being Liverpool manager, far be it from me to judge someone's personal life choices but the fact he got teeth whitening done and binned off his wife for a PA at Liverpool suggests a man going through a mid life crisis to me, and you don't want that as your manager.

• Upvote 2

@Dr. Gonzo don't take this in a bad way mate but answer me the following:

If Guardiola was the manager instead of Rodgers in 2013/14, lost Suarez the following season, do you really think he could have done any better with the likes of Markovic, Lovren, Lallana and a Balotelli that didn't want to play and was signed last minute?

20 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s literally the only time he’d ever shown any tactical flexibility and he only did it, as proven by his lack of tactical flexibility in his tenure with us, because he would have been so stupid not to use two players who were scoring for fun in a way that kept them scoring for fun. And that’s why I think he was forced into it.

I’ll give him credit for showing that tactical flexibility that one solitary time... but I do think any other decent manager could have done the same and probably given our side a shitload more balance at the back. And his inability to find any balance is what ultimately cost us in his one good season with us.

To highlight his infuriating stubbornness with tactics, just look at his time as manager without Suarez. He didn’t want to deviate from his original setup until he was forced to with a Sturridge starting the season on fire and Suarez being an incredible striker.

I might be harsh for criticising the one thing he ever did well as our manager, but he was also a manager that routinely pissed me the fuck off and I genuinely dislike him for how he was so stubborn tactically that he essentially wasted our last season with Gerrard. And one good year with major flaws doesn’t paper over the cracks. And the fact that he’s got the personality of David Brent with the ego of Mourinho makes me feel much more justified in being harsh with him. 

You say that as if he showed up late to a match one day and they were already playing like that? He put that system together to start with!

Also simply untrue about his lack of tactical flexibility. We used about 5 different formations over the course of the 14/15 season. We went three at the back to moderate success (roaring success relative to the rest of the season) for a bit, but our squad ultimately wasn't built for that and it got found out.

I don't think you can blame the lack of balance on him. The squad itself was horribly uneven with some very talented attacking players, but a shite goalkeeper, shite fullbacks, and average centre halves who couldn't get a run of games together. Not a single holding midfielder at the club either; Gerrard didn't have the tactical discipline, awareness, or (by then) the legs to play there, but he was the best we had, so we even turned that into an attacking role. Rodgers had us playing to our strengths and, while that might've meant we conceded more goals than we should've, our best chance of winning was by turning games into a shootout and outscoring the opposition because that lot weren't keeping it out at our end no matter what. He of course deserves his share of the blame for the state of our squad, but he was never fully backed by the owners the way Klopp is.

39 minutes ago, Blue said:

@Dr. Gonzo don't take this in a bad way mate but answer me the following:

If Guardiola was the manager instead of Rodgers in 2013/14, lost Suarez the following season, do you really think he could have done any better with the likes of Markovic, Lovren, Lallana and a Balotelli that didn't want to play and was signed last minute?

Markovic and Balotelli are dogshit, but Lovren and Lallana (arguably our best player in Klopp’s first season) aren’t that bad and yeah I think Guardiola would have done better than Rodgers because Guardiola is at least 10 times the manager Rodgers is. Sort of like how Klopp took his side and immediately we started playing better, even if the results weren’t great.

And everyone can speak bullshit, it’s ridiculous to think you don’t ever talk out of your arse sometimes

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Markovic and Balotelli are dogshit, but Lovren and Lallana (arguably our best player in Klopp’s first season) aren’t that bad and yeah I think Guardiola would have done better than Rodgers because Guardiola is at least 10 times the manager Rodgers is. Sort of like how Klopp took his side and immediately we started playing better, even if the results weren’t great.

And everyone can speak bullshit, it’s ridiculous to think you don’t ever talk out of your arse sometimes

That's funny, I recall Guardiola wasn't so good in his first season at City...

Could it maybe have to do with the squad being cack?

I'm not saying Rodgers is a better manager than Guardiola, not even close. Not even he could have saved Liverpool that season though.

Just now, Blue said:

That's funny, I recall Guardiola wasn't so good in his first season at City...

Could it maybe have to do with the squad being cack?

I'm not saying Rodgers is a better manager than Guardiola, not even close. Not even he could have saved Liverpool that season though.

Guardiola’s first season at City was better than Rodgers seasons that weren’t the one good season. First season struggles were probably due to starting him implementing his own tactics into his new side.

Rodgers shouldn’t have ever been our manager, there’s nothing you can say that’ll convince me otherwise. It’s his own fault he signed bad players and didn’t know how to effectively use the good players he signed like the man who came after him was able to.

And he had the gall to blame the transfer committee for his ineptitude despite being on the committee and having the final say on all players brought in. And when you look at what the other big man in the transfer committee, Michael Edwards, and how he’s done since being promoted to our sporting director it makes Rodgers complaints even more bullshit.

Again, the best things to come from his time with us is Firmino (who he also had no clue how to use) and Klopp coming in after him.

Now let’s stop talking about the Celtic manager please

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Guardiola’s first season at City was better than Rodgers seasons that weren’t the one good season. First season struggles were probably due to starting him implementing his own tactics into his new side.

Rodgers shouldn’t have ever been our manager, there’s nothing you can say that’ll convince me otherwise. It’s his own fault he signed bad players and didn’t know how to effectively use the good players he signed like the man who came after him was able to.

And he had the gall to blame the transfer committee for his ineptitude despite being on the committee and having the final say on all players brought in. And when you look at what the other big man in the transfer committee, Michael Edwards, and how he’s done since being promoted to our sporting director it makes Rodgers complaints even more bullshit.

Again, the best things to come from his time with us is Firmino (who he also had no clue how to use) and Klopp coming in after him.

Now let’s stop talking about the Celtic manager please

Some managers don't work for the long term. By your logic, Mourinho and Ancelotti were never good.

Rodgers may well fit into that category. Even this season Celtic are struggling more, on the contrary to the last season where he broke the points record I think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Joe Gomez: Liverpool & England defender to have surgery on a leg fracture

Liverpool defender Joe Gomez is to have an operation on the leg fracture he sustained against Burnley in December.

The England centre-back, 21, was taken off after 23 minutes following a challenge with Clarets captain Ben Mee.

He was initially ruled out for up to six weeks and is expected to feature again this season - but Liverpool have put no timescale on his recovery.

"Obviously being out for longer than we'd first hoped for is hard to swallow," said Gomez.

"It was an injury caused by an impact - like nearly all the injuries I've had in my career - so I know it's just a case of when it's fully healed I'm good to go again."

Gomez had made 18 appearances for the Premier League leaders before suffering the injury on 5 December...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47116999

• Subscriber
Just now, Happy Blue said:

Gomez out for the season by the sound of it  ..big loss or not?

Immense. The boy was on form, built a superb partnership with VVD and is the best pairing we have with the Dutchman. Part of the reason we have such a good defense is his ability to play as the faster of the two CBs in the cover. It is bad news but when you think about the fact that we've been without our core defensive system for a bit now this is what has to be dealt with.

4 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Gomez out for the season by the sound of it  ..big loss or not?

I don't think Liverpool expect him to miss the rest of the season from what I've read. But yes, he's a huge loss. Was starting to form a great partnership with Van Dijk

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Immense. The boy was on form, built a superb partnership with VVD and is the best pairing we have with the Dutchman. Part of the reason we have such a good defense is his ability to play as the faster of the two CBs in the cover. It is bad news but when you think about the fact that we've been without our core defensive system for a bit now this is what has to be dealt with.

59 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think Liverpool expect him to miss the rest of the season from what I've read. But yes, he's a huge loss. Was starting to form a great partnership with Van Dijk

57 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Massive loss.

That's a shame for the lad  ..best case, will he be back about April? 

4 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

That's a shame for the lad  ..best case, will he be back about April? 

Reports said early March if his recovery goes well. We need another centre back in the summer. Gomez, Lovren and Matip all spend too long on the sidelines each season

• Upvote 2

I feel like I just walked in on my girlfriend getting double teamed by my mates. 

Hopefully (lol) the blueshite don't just roll over on Wednesday night. But I've also hoped for Margot Robbie to become my wife and that's not fucking materialised yet.

• Haha 1

Klopp is doing an excellent job and year by year they keep getting better I'm impressed by his signings to. Keita at present may be struggling but I'm sure he is another who will come good. They play in the main lovely football and this season the job he's done defensively is excellent in the main to. 

I'm not a fan of Rodgers yes he did well to get Liverpool 2nd almost win the league that was mainly down to Suarez and Sturridge the next year they were about 7th or 8th and he got found out and was sacked. I personally think he's average at best. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JOSHBRFC said:

Hope Gomez comes back stronger. He's looked very impressive at times and long with TAA, our future looks bright from an England perspective. 

Spot on Gomez has been excellent throughout the season along with Trent them two with Chilwell and Stones for me are England's back 4 in the next euros or world cup. Liverpool certainly missed them both tonight.

32 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Hope Gomez comes back stronger. He's looked very impressive at times and long with TAA, our future looks bright from an England perspective. 

His injury record is terrible though, unfortunately I’m not sure we’ll really be able to rely on him in the long run - both for club and country.

Its a shame because he’s been a very excellent defenders this season. Miles better than Lovren and Matip imo. But we’ve got a problem in that all 3 of them are injury prone (and Lovren has the most shite immune system for a professional athlete).

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

His injury record is terrible though, unfortunately I’m not sure we’ll really be able to rely on him in the long run - both for club and country.

Its a shame because he’s been a very excellent defenders this season. Miles better than Lovren and Matip imo. But we’ve got a problem in that all 3 of them are injury prone (and Lovren has the most shite immune system for a professional athlete).

Gomez will come back stronger than ever and prove you wrong he will be a massive player for Liverpool and England for the next 10 years he will definitely not be another Darren Anderton aka sicknote. He's been superb for Liverpool this season and will be crucial in the run in. 

13 minutes ago, Kyletoonfan said:

Gomez will come back stronger than ever and prove you wrong he will be a massive player for Liverpool and England for the next 10 years he will definitely not be another Darren Anderton aka sicknote. He's been superb for Liverpool this season and will be crucial in the run in. 

I hope you’re right! I’m not really an optimist in anything in life xD but it’s nice to be pessimistic and wrong so I hope you’re right

6 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Reports said early March if his recovery goes well. We need another centre back in the summer. Gomez, Lovren and Matip all spend too long on the sidelines each season

And our captain has had more time on the side line than all them together xD   ..i think Kompany is done in the summer