talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

I'm a fan of Salah but I'd be slightly open to the possibility of selling him if we could extract major dollars. He fits the system well but has a bit of a tendency to be selfish with his chances that for me could become a problem. I think it's something he could work on that would make him a much better player.... In any case like Coutinho I don't see him as irreplaceable.

That said I'd rather keep him and make the point that we don't sell players we want to keep. 

• Confused 1

Lol, what the fuck? He's been statistically our best attacker for two seasons, we're a club trying to make forward progress and compete for top honours… mostly the CL (so Europe's best sides) and in our league (which is arguably the most competitive league, rather than other leagues that some might argue are just a glorified SPL). It's not a mystery that a club that's made good progress over two seasons would want to keep their best performers over those seasons. I'd only entertain an offer that makes PSG's offer for Neymar look miniscule in comparison... so an absolutely obscene amount of money.

The reasoning that you'd sell him for being selfish, no offense, made my eyes roll around in my head roll around so quickly that I had to take several seconds to rub my eyes and regain focus so I could type this. You know who else was selfish? Thierry Henry, who a lot of players consider the best attacker in history of the league. If an Arsenal fan had insisted to me that Henry could be replaced if he'd hypothetically scored 40 odd goals in his first season and another 20 something in his second season (I'm using hypothetical stats that match Salah's to illustrate the comparison) after his first two years at Arsenal, I'd have laughed in his fucking face til I was out of breath and crying.

Here we've got a player that in his time with us has given us the best form of his career, suited to our system brilliantly and working very effectively with our current squad consistently for 2 seasons. This isn't like Coutinho being brilliant half the time and average the other half the time, it's not even close to that (although giving credit to Coutinho, he was consistently excellent... after we'd established Mane, Firmino, and... Salah... as our front 3, just prior to selling him). This is a player that since we've signed him has raised the level of the other two attackers that play alongside him. Just look at last year's CL final to demonstrate his impact, we were playing really well while he was on - when he went off we became absolutely toothless.

He's a fucking talisman at this point. The only way it's acceptable to sell him is if it's a truly staggering amount of money. And even then, it's only worth selling him for that staggering amount of money until we've got a replacement either signed up or in place and we have a plan for how that staggering amount of money will be spent (because after you receive a staggering amount of money and you try to sign other players, you may find that clubs are now asking for a cut of that staggering amount of money). And even then, there's no guarantee Mystery Player X coming into replace Salah will fit the system as well as he does, or even half as well as he does, or if they'll even adapt well to the league.

The club should be doing everything it can to keep our front 3 with the club during their primes. Even if we manage to sign a better winger for our system (which I don't think would be that easy), I'd like us to keep our quality players around as depth because we're competing against clubs like Slave Trader FC and their unlimited wealth.

tl;dr - Lol, what the fuck?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Lol, what the fuck? He's been statistically our best attacker for two seasons, we're a club trying to make forward progress and compete for top honours… mostly the CL (so Europe's best sides) and in our league (which is arguably the most competitive league, rather than other leagues that some might argue are just a glorified SPL). It's not a mystery that a club that's made good progress over two seasons would want to keep their best performers over those seasons. I'd only entertain an offer that makes PSG's offer for Neymar look miniscule in comparison... so an absolutely obscene amount of money.

The reasoning that you'd sell him for being selfish, no offense, made my eyes roll around in my head roll around so quickly that I had to take several seconds to rub my eyes and regain focus so I could type this. You know who else was selfish? Thierry Henry, who a lot of players consider the best attacker in history of the league. If an Arsenal fan had insisted to me that Henry could be replaced if he'd hypothetically scored 40 odd goals in his first season and another 20 something in his second season (I'm using hypothetical stats that match Salah's to illustrate the comparison) after his first two years at Arsenal, I'd have laughed in his fucking face til I was out of breath and crying.

Here we've got a player that in his time with us has given us the best form of his career, suited to our system brilliantly and working very effectively with our current squad consistently for 2 seasons. This isn't like Coutinho being brilliant half the time and average the other half the time, it's not even close to that (although giving credit to Coutinho, he was consistently excellent... after we'd established Mane, Firmino, and... Salah... as our front 3, just prior to selling him). This is a player that since we've signed him has raised the level of the other two attackers that play alongside him. Just look at last year's CL final to demonstrate his impact, we were playing really well while he was on - when he went off we became absolutely toothless.

He's a fucking talisman at this point. The only way it's acceptable to sell him is if it's a truly staggering amount of money. And even then, it's only worth selling him for that staggering amount of money until we've got a replacement either signed up or in place and we have a plan for how that staggering amount of money will be spent (because after you receive a staggering amount of money and you try to sign other players, you may find that clubs are now asking for a cut of that staggering amount of money). And even then, there's no guarantee Mystery Player X coming into replace Salah will fit the system as well as he does, or even half as well as he does, or if they'll even adapt well to the league.

The club should be doing everything it can to keep our front 3 with the club during their primes. Even if we manage to sign a better winger for our system (which I don't think would be that easy), I'd like us to keep our quality players around as depth because we're competing against clubs like Slave Trader FC and their unlimited wealth.

tl;dr - Lol, what the fuck?

Ultimately I just don't see Salah being on the same level as Suarez or Torres or Gerrard or VanDijk as irreplaceable players. That's all I was saying 

So in summary yeah, what you said, sell him for a fuckload, which I also said,  or keep him because he's a great performer that fits the system really well. In any case I give very significant credit for salahs success to the system Klopp implemented and I think the attack is in a position of being less reliant on irreplaceable players than it used to. 

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Ultimately I just don't see Salah being on the same level as Suarez or Torres or Gerrard or VanDijk as irreplaceable players. That's all I was saying 

So in summary yeah, what you said, sell him for a fuckload, which I also said,  or keep him because he's a great performer that fits the system really well. In any case I give very significant credit for salahs success to the system Klopp implemented and I think the attack is in a position of being less reliant on irreplaceable players than it used to. 

Salah’s done more for us than Suarez or Torres tbh. Around 70 goals in 2 years in all competitions & a European Cup to his name. And he brought out the best in our front 3, as well as Coutinho. He’s easily our most difficult to replace attacker, other than maybe Firmino

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

It's mad how underrated Salah is and I don't know why this is the case.

Think it comes from the expectation he set in his first season. I don't expect him to score 40+ goals every season and I much prefer having a front three that are all capable vs relying on one man to do the job. 

14 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Think it comes from the expectation he set in his first season. I don't expect him to score 40+ goals every season and I much prefer having a front three that are all capable vs relying on one man to do the job. 

Naah, @Harry always has the wildest takes on all LFC issues. This is not a dig at you, Harry. 

31 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Since we started the discussion I suppose its fair to ask. If we offload Salah who comes in his place that can actually do the job? That 20ish guy Pepe?

I'm not suggesting its an easy job to replace him for fucks sakes. I just think we have an incredibly solid system right now, like Arsenal had under wenger, like Dortmund under Klopp or Barcelona under Pep where the players collectively are greater than the sum of their individual parts. 

I'm not saying we don't have shit hot players, only giving credit to just how good klopps system is, that I think the attack is multifaceted and doesn't hinge on Salah to the extent that his goal output would lead you to believe. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Harry said:

I'm not suggesting its an easy job to replace him for fucks sakes. I just think we have an incredibly solid system right now, like Arsenal had under wenger, like Dortmund under Klopp or Barcelona under Pep where the players collectively are greater than the sum of their individual parts. 

I'm not saying we don't have shit hot players, only giving credit to just how good klopps system is, that I think the attack is multifaceted and doesn't hinge on Salah to the extent that his goal output would lead you to believe. 

Wasn't even going in your direction with the post. I was just saying that if we did offload him for a lot of money who can realistically come in and take his place.

8 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Wasn't even going in your direction with the post. I was just saying that if we did offload him for a lot of money who can realistically come in and take his place.

Difficult question to answer because of what Salah's attacking contribution for us has been over the last two seasons. The other players that compare to it are players that we're not going to be able to sign... and they're older than Salah by a bit. Maybe Mbappe?

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Difficult question to answer because of what Salah's attacking contribution for us has been over the last two seasons. The other players that compare to it are players that we're not going to be able to sign... and they're older than Salah by a bit. Maybe Mbappe?

I think the Frenchman would be a good long-term prospect for the team considering he does something very similar to Salah and has the chops to actually make it too. The problem really there is the price and then that lingering question about him also having attitude issues at PSG as well. 

38 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think the Frenchman would be a good long-term prospect for the team considering he does something very similar to Salah and has the chops to actually make it too. The problem really there is the price and then that lingering question about him also having attitude issues at PSG as well. 

Yeah, I'd rather keep Salah if given the choice.

Can Liverpool get over 90pts two seasons running? ..think they will need at least that to keep up with us  ...but winning the league 3 seasons running will also be difficult, we won all 4 pieces of domestic silverware and cemented City as England's greatest ever team, doing it again is going to be difficult!

Edited by Happy Blue

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Can Liverpool get over 90pts two seasons running? ..think they will need at least that to keep up with us  ...but winning the league 3 seasons running will also be difficult, we won all 4 pieces of domestic silverware and cemented City as England's greatest ever team, doing it again is going to be difficult!

I wonder if these two teams will really be in the running next season to a 90pt race or if something else will happen but you never know. It was exciting last season and I hope there is competition of some kind at the top.

22 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I wonder if these two teams will really be in the running next season to a 90pt race or if something else will happen but you never know. It was exciting last season and I hope there is competition of some kind at the top.

Just hope its exciting like last season, runaway titles are boring as fuck!!  ..nothing like an injury time winner for the title, at home on the last day of the season  :hh:

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Just hope its exciting like last season, runaway titles are boring as fuck!!  ..nothing like an injury time winner for the title, at home on the last day of the season  :hh:

Think you'll be waiting a long long time for that.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Already had it B|

Sorry i meant you're going to have a wait a very very long time for a repeat of that because they are quite shit right now and they'll be that way for a while. Probably one of the best end of season games I have ever seen. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Tbh I'd be quite happy with a title race that's boring as fuck... as long as we're the ones who're running away with it while everyone else is shit.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh I'd be quite happy with a title race that's boring as fuck... as long as we're the ones who're running away with it while everyone else is shit.

For the first one, sure!  ..you would soon get bored though

Just now, Happy Blue said:

For the first one, sure!  ..you would soon get bored though

Let's cross the "getting bored of winning the title" bridge after we cross that first bridge of "winning the title while Dr. Gonzo is still alive" xD

• Haha 3

On 28/06/2019 at 17:10, Happy Blue said:

Your consistency came alot more naturally than ours last year. We should be up there but I'm expecting you guys will win it more comfortably next year.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Your consistency came alot more naturally than ours last year. We should be up there but I'm expecting you guys will win it more comfortably next year.

How was their consistency more natural? 

We lost one game all season. You cant get much more consistent than that! 

You are a funny chap you really are xD