talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

14 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

He's incredible. I still feel he's underappreciated by some of our own. I've seen people slagging him off on social media recently and whenever the conversation of who you'd least like to lose of the front three comes up, Salah is often the name on people's lips. I find that mad

That's because it is mad Mike.

I try to ignore the idiots (Liverpool "fans" included) on social media as much as possible.

Mo is pure class, I really like Kane but Mo can do things on the pitch that Kane never could.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

A good source saying that we have signed Prestons Ben Davies for 2M.

Dunno how good he is?:what:

He’s a left footed centre back, which I believe is something you currently don’t have? He will be a better option at CB than putting Fabinho and Henderson in there. 

Not sure how it works but I’m sure I read that he had agreed a pre contract with Celtic.

Its the type of signing I expected from Liverpool to be honest, it’s pointless you signing a massive superstar name. As when VVD and Gomez come back, the new signing would be on the bench more than likely.

Edited by JoshBRFC

21 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

He’s a left footed centre back, which I believe is something you currently don’t have? He will be a better option at CB than putting Fabinho and Henderson in there. 

Not sure how it works but I’m sure I read that he had agreed a pre contract with Celtic.

Its the type of signing I expected from Liverpool to be honest, it’s pointless you signing a massive superstar name. As when VVD and Gomez come back, the new signing would be on the bench more than likely.

Thanks Josh, I wasn't as worried as some but if he does a decent job it will be money well spent. From what Ive heard Celtic had a deal in place with Preston but nothing signed.

I think that kind of "superstar" CB might still be on our radar, we've got world class FB's, a world class CB in VVD and a world class keeper, another star CB would be great. I really rate Gomez and to a lesser extent Matip but we know now that we can't rely on either of them.

I'm made up for Phillips though and hope he is a success, imagine going from the Championship one week to the Champions and Champions League the next, the stuff that dreams are made of and something to tell the grandkids in years to come.:)

4 hours ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Thanks Josh, I wasn't as worried as some but if he does a decent job it will be money well spent. From what Ive heard Celtic had a deal in place with Preston but nothing signed.

I think that kind of "superstar" CB might still be on our radar, we've got world class FB's, a world class CB in VVD and a world class keeper, another star CB would be great. I really rate Gomez and to a lesser extent Matip but we know now that we can't rely on either of them.

I'm made up for Phillips though and hope he is a success, imagine going from the Championship one week to the Champions and Champions League the next, the stuff that dreams are made of and something to tell the grandkids in years to come.:)

He likely had a pre-contract agreement with Celtic - his contract is up in 6 months. Preston can still sell him before his contract is up, he'd just need to agree terms with the club that negotiates a fee with Preston. I'm assuming he'd want to be given the chance to play regularly with the champions for at about 6 months. He either does well and next season gets to fight with Gomez for a spot next to Virgil, or ends up playing a lot as our 3rd choice CB tends to year-in-year-out, or he doesn't... and he's likely still improved his stature as a player by getting 6 months playing top flight football.

It's sort of win-win for everyone, except Preston lol (if they think he's worth more, at least). But it's better for them than him leaving on a free. So it's sort of win-win for everyone.

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's sort of win-win for everyone, except Preston lol (if they think he's worth more, at least). But it's better for them than him leaving on a free. So it's sort of win-win for everyone.

Definitely a win win for everyone concerned. Preston had resigned themselves to the fact that he was off in the summer on a free. Now they get a 2M payout plus Hoever on loan. We get a CB, Hoever gets experience and Davis gets a dream move.

Nice job all round.:congrats:

6 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Definitely a win win for everyone concerned. Preston had resigned themselves to the fact that he was off in the summer on a free. Now they get a 2M payout plus Hoever on loan. We get a CB, Hoever gets experience and Davis gets a dream move.

Nice job all round.:congrats:

Van den Berg

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Kinda feel sorry for Phillips though, good performances against Spuds and WHU but he is probably further down the pecking order than ever.

Well, signing two players like this may free up Fabinho to come back into midfield. So Phillips may be a bit higher up than expected. By all accounts Davies & Kabak are a lot better so I’m not complaining. 

Good to see that it’s a loan with no obligation to buy for Kabak. If he ends up dogshit he can stay at Schalke 😂 

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

Well, signing two players like this may free up Fabinho to come back into midfield. So Phillips may be a bit higher up than expected. By all accounts Davies & Kabak are a lot better so I’m not complaining. 

Good to see that it’s a loan with no obligation to buy for Kabak. If he ends up dogshit he can stay at Schalke 😂 

Not complaining either mate:D

Much has been written about our CB "crisis" but really we haven't conceded the goals as badly as many have predicted. Sounds daft but losing VVD has hurt our attack more than our defence. Getting Fab and Hendo back playing where they should changes everything for us.

Trent and Robbo can be more adventurous and we finally get to see how good Thiago is playing in something resembling a normal formation.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Can we not get a break? 

Yes, you just signed 2 CBs who can do a decent job which means you can play Fabinho/Henderson in midfield. There's your break :D 

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yes, you just signed 2 CBs who can do a decent job which means you can play Fabinho/Henderson in midfield. There's your break :D 

Only time will tell I suppose. I do like the idea of Fab out of there but I think we'll see him there for some time as we get these two CBs integrated. Would have been nicer to have Matip in there personally but it is what it is now.

• Administrator
Just now, Mel81x said:

Only time will tell I suppose. I do like the idea of Fab out of there but I think we'll see him there for some time as we get these two CBs integrated. Would have been nicer to have Matip in there personally but it is what it is now.

I think expecting Matip to play any kind of run of games is over-expecting, in my opinion, so it's hardly that much of a bad break not seeing him play several games in a row. Having said that, an injury to anyone for up to 5/6 months is unfortunate. Surely look to get rid in the summer due to being unreliable?

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think expecting Matip to play any kind of run of games is over-expecting, in my opinion, so it's hardly that much of a bad break not seeing him play several games in a row. Having said that, an injury to anyone for up to 5/6 months is unfortunate. Surely look to get rid in the summer due to being unreliable?

I do agree and seeing his history is a clear indicator of how reliable he really is when it comes to injuries. However, he is one of our more experienced CBs and to have him out doesn't automatically allow Fab to move into midfield and just swap in the two new CBs. It's going to take time and I believe Matip will be with us next season because we've got other players that need to be offloaded too like Origi as an example.  I also think this has just been freakishly bad luck because having Virgil out then Gomes and now Matip really isn't something anyone could have foreseen based on last season's performances.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah I think people thinking that this is the end of Fabinho or Henderson at CB will be disappointed

Not for that long I'd imagine?

I doubt Klopp would want to keep them there for much longer (note, I don't think the 2 newbies will go straight in either). 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not for that long I'd imagine?

I doubt Klopp would want to keep them there for much longer (note, I don't think the 2 newbies will go straight in either). 

I think it's all going to depend on the opposition and obviously how they settle. I'd be shocked if either were involved on Sunday. Might see one of them against Leicester and Everton

Davies may make the squad for tomorrow, but I’d expect it to be Henderson & Phillips again. Sunday, however, I would like to see Davies in there. If he is quick and reads the game well like people are saying, then I’d prefer him over Phillips. 

Do we know if Fab is meant to be back for that one?