talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

West Brom Make £15m Oliver Burke Signing

West Bromwich Albion have signed Scotland winger Oliver Burke from German club RB Leipzig on a five-year contract for a reported fee of £15m.

Burke, 20, became the most expensive Scottish player ever when he joined Bundesliga side Leipzig for a fee of about £13m in August 2016.

He made 25 league appearances last term and helped Leipzig qualify for the 2017-18 Champions League group stage.

"I feel like it is a time for me to play more games," said Burke.

"I want to impress and I want my name to be first on the teamsheet."

Burke could make his West Brom debut on Sunday at home to Stoke (13:30 BST).

Baggies boss Tony Pulis described Burke as a player with "tremendous talent".

He is West Brom's fourth major signing of the summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41048242

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Damn. I was hoping we would be in for him but it's a big call to leave a club that's going to be playing in the Champions League next season and helping them qualify. Fair play if he just wants to play football though and must have been given a promise that he'll play regularly for WBA.

I think we were in for him before he went to Germany as he was only at Forest and was targeted by quite a few clubs. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Why would they sell when they bought him for £13m 12 months ago? Something must be up.

prefers the balti in Birmingham as opposed to any sauerkraut in Saxony

I like this boy.

Saw him a few times turn out for Forest and while he could be labeled "Greedy" at the time, it was obvious to a blind man he had a HUGE upside.

Baring in mind how deep West Brom tend to set up against teams, I would not be surprized to see one or two goals with Burke at the centre of the breakaway.

Burke ~ One to watch

Thought he was excellent when I saw him for RB Leipzig at FC Köln last season. He score Leipzig's goal, really looked confident and was a constant threat for the Köln defenders, I'm shocked he never kept that form up but the lack of starts he got will probably be a large reason he's returned to the UK. 

Think this is a great signing for West Brom. 

• 1 year later...

Pulls, Pardew and now Darren Moore don’t seem to fancy him. That’s hardly a glowing reference. 

I thought a step back to the Championship could have reinvigorated him but it doesn’t seem to have done and he doesn’t get in the West Brom side. Half his appearances have come in the League Cup or the Checkatrade Trophy for WBA’s U21 side. 

Archived