Sunday 3rd September 2017
Faroe Islands vs Andorra
Hungary vs Portugal
Latvia vs Switzerland

grpb.PNG

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A win in Budapest is essential, if we want to qualify as group winners. 

Switzerland won't lose any points until the game in Lisbon, so we need to keep on winning as well, if we want to have a chance to surpass them on the last day of qualifiers. 

Good win tonight. 

Another hat-trick for Ronaldo and it was good to see Nélson Oliveira playing for the National Team, again. I hope he gets called more often, from now on.

Time for the big decisions, on Sunday.

• Administrator

Hungary been swinging the elbows around all match. Priskin gets Pepe square in the face and he wonders why he's seen red xD 

Portugal should be a few goals up already.

• Administrator

grpb.PNG

Switzerland and Portugal vying for the top 2 spots now. Goal difference majorly in Portugal's favour if they finish level. 

Switzerland have Hungary at home. Portugal have Andorra away. 

They then face each other in the final group game which will be very decisive if there's still a 3 point gap. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Saturday 7th October
Faroe Islands vs Latvia
Andorra vs Portugal
Switzerland vs Hungary

Tuesday 10th October
Hungary vs Faroe Islands
Latvia vs Andorra
Portugal vs Switzerland

Big showdown game on Tuesday. If Portgual and Switzerland both win then it's down to Portugal to beat Switzerland and they'll finish top. Both have more than enough points to qualify as 1 of the best 2nd-placed teams. 

On 10/3/2017 at 6:54 PM, Stan said:

Saturday 7th October
Faroe Islands vs Latvia
Andorra vs Portugal
Switzerland vs Hungary

Tuesday 10th October
Hungary vs Faroe Islands
Latvia vs Andorra
Portugal vs Switzerland

Big showdown game on Tuesday. If Portgual and Switzerland both win then it's down to Portugal to beat Switzerland and they'll finish top. Both have more than enough points to qualify as 1 of the best 2nd-placed teams. 

can you clarify something for me, let's assume that portugal and the swiss will win on their next match, and their last match will be against each other and portugal win, that means, equal on points but portugal tops the group with a bigger goal difference.    does the Swiss still go to a play-off match being 2nd or should they also auto-qualify having amassed such points ???

• Administrator
1 hour ago, bozziovai said:

can you clarify something for me, let's assume that portugal and the swiss will win on their next match, and their last match will be against each other and portugal win, that means, equal on points but portugal tops the group with a bigger goal difference.    does the Swiss still go to a play-off match being 2nd or should they also auto-qualify having amassed such points ???

There's 9 groups in qualification and the top 8 best 2nd placed teams go in to play offs next month. The 4 winners of those playoffs go to the world cup. 

Note though that the top 8 2nd placed teams have their points taken away from their games against the bottom placed team in the group they were in. I think Switzerland and/or Portugal will be fine though as they've got enough points anyway. 

Important win, but I was let down by the fact that we only managed to score when Ronaldo came in. What the fuck?

Anyway, Switzerland won't handle the pressure of a full Stadium of Light on Tuesday. 

3-0

29 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Portugal are on par with Uruguay in the dull factor. My god how did this team win the Euros. 

I think its a taste thing but I find this Portugal side much more fun to watch than Uruguay.

This Portugal team is more tactical and more about being defensively structured, where as Uruguay as more about winning in the air and beating their opponent in strength.

2-0, thats Portugal in Russia.

• Administrator

the co-commentator on Sky Sports' coverage of this Portugal game must have got out on the wrong side of the bed. He's absolutely livid and so frustrated that Switzerland have had no offsides and that Andre Silva didn't get booked. 

• Subscriber

I don't get why there was so much intricacy in front of the goal tonight. Get the ball and slot it, no need to try and run around the keeper or make as many cut-ins with defenders. All said and done Portugal have made it to the WC in Russia.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Congratulations to the brothers in Portugal!  Couldn't be a World Cup without Portugal and now they can relax until the summer which is important. ;)

just like it couldn't be a World Cup without Argentina. Hope they qualify.

Unless its Brazil, Germany or Italy then a world cup can do without anyone else.

I'm sure in the 50's and 60's people were saying that a world cup isn't a world cup without Hungary.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm sure in the 50's and 60's people were saying that a world cup isn't a world cup without Hungary.

True, but they've only had one great generation even if it was one of the greatest of all time.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

just like it couldn't be a World Cup without Argentina. Hope they qualify.

Argentina HAVE to be there!  I don't want to happen to the World Cup what UEFA have done to the European Championships...  Please, NO!

At the moment, today has been a good day for the bigger sides.

Archived