talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Most Decorated Sportsmen from your country

football forum

I am not talking about the 'Greatest' of them all but about those players who may or may not be the most talented of the lot, they may or may have not won much and don't have much achievement to their name.

But the way they played the game(including controversies),the legacy they left behind,the influence they had on the sport and on generation after generation, made them eternal.

Who dou you think are these players from your country from any sport?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Donald Bradman. Peerless cricketer

Rod Laver. One of the great tennis players. Idol of Federer. Godfather of tennis.

Greg Norman. 

Johnny Warren. Captain Socceroo. Instrumental in getting football taken seriously in Australia. Not a world best but hugely important to Australian football. 

Tim Cahill (biased but i dont care)

Andrew Gaze. The Michael Jordan of Australian basketball. 

Johan Cruyff - Changed the game of football to what we see today.

Fanny Blankers-Koen -  Best Dutch women's Athlete of all time. 

Raymond Van Barneveld - started the Darts revolution in Holland, there wouldn't be a Michael Van Gerwen without him. 

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Donald Bradman. Peerless cricketer

Rod Laver. One of the great tennis players. Idol of Federer. Godfather of tennis.

Greg Norman. 

Johnny Warren. Captain Socceroo. Instrumental in getting football taken seriously in Australia. Not a world best but hugely important to Australian football. 

Tim Cahill (biased but i dont care)

Andrew Gaze. The Michael Jordan of Australian basketball. 

No Dennis Lillie?

• Subscriber

PT Usha - Track athelete ahead of her time in India

Sachin Tendulkar - You don't really need to say anything more

Leander Paes / Mahesh Bhupathi - One weened off a bit but Leander Paes imo is one of the best if not the best versatile doubles partner in tennis. That run with Hingis is astounding.

8 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

PT Usha - Track athelete ahead of her time in India

Sachin Tendulkar - You don't really need to say anything more

Leander Paes / Mahesh Bhupathi - One weened off a bit but Leander Paes imo is one of the best if not the best versatile doubles partner in tennis. That run with Hingis is astounding.

Dhayan Chand?

• Subscriber
Just now, Azeem98 said:

Dhayan Chand?

Don't  really follow field hockey that much but you're right he's a legend in his own right. Its not easy to do what he did and I have family that have won olympic gold in field hockey but sadly I have never taken to the sport. Do you watch your NT play? I try and catch as much as I can.

3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Don't  really follow field hockey that much but you're right he's a legend in his own right. Its not easy to do what he did and I have family that have won olympic gold in field hockey but sadly I have never taken to the sport. Do you watch your NT play? I try and catch as much as I can.

Favourite sport after football but i hate what they have done to the sport, purple turf,yellow ball,quaters instead of halves,penalty shoot has changed.

I liked it when it was more similar to football it gave a traditional look to the sport now it looks like an American highschool sport to me.But still follow it.

• Subscriber
Just now, Azeem98 said:

Favourite sport after football but i hate what they have done to the sport, purple turf,yellow ball,quaters instead of halves,penalty shoot has changed.

I liked it when it was more similar to football it gave a traditional look to the sport now it looks like an American highschool sport to me.But still follow it.

You'd laugh but in my 11/12th the biggest sport was field hockey and omg was it terrible when we played other schools. These days it seems more like its catered towards the person watching the TV more than the players on the pitch. I even skipped the last time we played Pakistan because it wasn't worth it.

In football  we have a lot of players with a lot more domestic success but in terms of international impact it's by far Kenny Dalglish - 3 European cups and a Ballon d'or runner-up. 

Off the top of my head elsewhere, Chris Hoy and Andy Murray come to mind.

Actually, do managers count as sportsmen? :D

Dhyan Chand is a good shout, even though like Mel I don't follow hockey.

Saina and PV Sindhu will be huge in coming years.

Mary Kom for breaking the barriers. 

Kapil Dev is big too for the first WC. 

But, yeah, no one comes close to Sachin. For four decades he was, rightfully, the centre of everyone's attention and someone who brought the nation together.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Azeem98 said:

From Pakistan

Jahangir Khan- Greatest squash player of all time and probbably the greatest sportsmen ever if winning is everything.Had a winning streak of 555 games over a course of five years a world record.

images.jpg

This man is a machine. I remember going through so many grades in school and seeing this guy win game after game. Who is your current squash champ?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Dhyan Chand is a good shout, even though like Mel I don't follow hockey.

Saina and PV Sindhu will be huge in coming years.

Mary Kom for breaking the barriers. 

Kapil Dev is big too for the first WC. 

But, yeah, no one comes close to Sachin. For four decades he was, rightfully, the centre of everyone's attention and someone who brought the nation together.

I always forget Mary but shes big too.

P.S. That movie was shit

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Well, in that case we've got Shankly, Fergie, Busby and Stein, ofc. 

Surely McRae is in there too? Obviously not for the sport you're mentioning for the other names

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Is squash big up there? I tried playing it and its horrible for me and I respect it more as a result.

Now only popluar among certain groups and regions but it will change only a major tournament victory is needed to bring the sport back to life.

Archived