talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Temporary substitutions 

football forum

I think one criticism of football is how possible concussions are dealt with. Doctors say it takes about 8 minutes to diagnose a concussion. I Personally I think teams should be able to bring on a temporary substitution while a player is being diagnosed. I think it is something that could be be bought in in the future. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think one criticism of football is how possible concussions are dealt with. Doctors say it takes about 8 minutes to diagnose a concussion. I Personally I think teams should be able to bring on a temporary substitution while a player is being diagnosed. I think it is something that could be be bought in in the future. What are your thoughts?

I'm actually for this to make sure protocols are followed for player safety.

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

As much as it's a good idea you'd get cunts like Mourinho using it to his advantage and telling Marcus Rashford to ''fake'' a concussion so that he can whip on an extra defender for eight minutes.

I do think that could be an issue. And it is something that would have to be monitored and carry hefty fines and bans if abused. However I think it would have more positives than negatives

Just now, Cannabis said:

Even if it saved/helped one life it would be worth it. 

Exactly. Like you said some managers will try to use it to gain an advantage but that can be monitored and player safety is more important.

Anything that removes disincentives for proper treatment of head injuries will get my vote. Good idea.

23 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

As much as it's a good idea you'd get cunts like Mourinho using it to his advantage and telling Marcus Rashford to ''fake'' a concussion so that he can whip on an extra defender for eight minutes.

Wouldn't be surprised if he instructed his players to actually get a concussion the total cunt.

8 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I think it would take care of itself. If diagnosed with a concussion, the play couldn't play or even partake in any training for two weeks. So not really worth it for them.

They have something similar in Rugby League and it works quite well and I haven't ever heard any allegations of using it to cheat as Cannabis has suggested.

If a player has a head injury, he's taken for a 15 minute head test and in that time the player that has replaced the one with the injured player is a "free sub". 

I think it could and should work in a Football too. 

1 hour ago, Tanksie said:

I think an extra serious injury/concussion sub is a good answer. If a player has an obvious injury (broken leg, arm, collarbone, Petr Cech skull, Muamba death) or possible concussion the team gets a free sub. The injured player can't return to the field.

The point of a temporary sub is so that the player can be assesed and then come back on if he is ok. An extra sub would help but it is not really the point

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

The point of a temporary sub is so that the player can be assesed and then come back on if he is ok. An extra sub would help but it is not really the point

If a player has had his head smashed in enough he needs to sit a 10 minute concussion test he shouldn't be coming back on.

7 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

If a player has had his head smashed in enough he needs to sit a 10 minute concussion test he shouldn't be coming back on.

A player could be fine but still need an assessment it happens in rugby. I do think that a team should given an extra substitution but only for injuries but that is a different matter

On 28/08/2017 at 4:32 PM, ScoRoss said:

Any player that goes through a concussion test / suspected concussion shouldn't be allowed to return to a match. Pretty sure that's the rules the SRU have for rugby in Scotland.

Ah right ok. When is it they bring on temporary subs then?

On 28/08/2017 at 4:32 PM, ScoRoss said:

Any player that goes through a concussion test / suspected concussion shouldn't be allowed to return to a match. Pretty sure that's the rules the SRU have for rugby in Scotland.

Really? I didn't know that. In Rugby League, players are given a concussion test, they have a fifteen minute window to do this, and players who "pass" so to speak are allowed to return to the game. Those that don't aren't allowed to return and have to go through a load of protocol to be eligible to play the following week. 

I'm speaking about non professional level at least, at a higher level it could be different.

Personally, I'd take no chances about head injuries as so little is known. Symptoms might not even show up for the first few hours.

• Administrator

Talking of concussion, Premiership and Championship rugby union sides are trialling a new system to test for concussion which involves urine and saliva samples to be provided following an injury

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41094045

Premiership and Championship players will take part this season in the development of a new pitch-side test to diagnose concussion and brain injuries.

Saliva and urine samples will be collected during the new campaign, after studies showed they could provide swift indicators of head injuries.

It could lead to a handheld device to assess if a player is fit to play on.

"We are keen to give it our full support," Premiership Rugby's Corin Palmer said.

During matches in 2017-18, players with confirmed or suspected concussion will provide saliva samples immediately following the injury and will give follow-up samples as they go through the return-to-play protocol.

These will be compared to players from the same game who did not suffer head injuries and those who had other injuries.

The study will run alongside the existing Head Injury Assessments, but if the results support those found in laboratory tests, it could eventually see tests being carried out pitch-side on a device.

It is being carried out by the University of Birmingham, in association with the Rugby Football Union (RFU), Premiership Rugby and the Rugby Players' Association.

Neurosurgeon Professor Tony Belli, who is leading the study, said:"The University of Birmingham recently made a significant breakthrough after identifying molecules, which can be found in saliva and act as biomarkers to indicate whether the brain has suffered injury.

"If these biomarkers are found reliable, we can continue our work with industrial partners with the hope to have a device available within the next two years that will instantaneously diagnose concussion on the pitch-side with the same accuracy as in the laboratory - a major step forward for both sport and medicine."

Dr Simon Kemp, the RFU's chief medical officer, added: "This is an important addition to the breadth of research we are undertaking into concussion.

"There is currently no reliable or proven biomarker or objective test for the diagnosis of concussion and this lack of objectivity is the biggest challenge facing medical professional in dealing with this type of injury."

3 hours ago, Stan said:

blood subs. 

Ow right. To be fair this can happen in football. Even if it wasn't used for concussion it still could be used for other injuries that a player could return to the pitch after.

Archived