talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Naby Keita to Join Liverpool from July 2018

14 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Thought RBL came back with a no-hes-not-going-anywhere in early december and they weren't budging on it either. However, if the club is pushing for this I think its great.

Well apparently Kieta has asked to leave and us offering around £13m to bring the deal forward has softened their stance. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well apparently Kieta has asked to leave and us offering around £13m to bring the deal forward has softened their stance. 

Ah didn't know there was green involved. That generally turns heads .. generally.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

It's more a question of whether we'd leave a 146m hole in our midfield for 6 months before we fill it with a 72m asset. 

Personally I'd be sure we could make this happen before I'd let Phil leave. 

Barcelona couldn’t wait as they may have a transfer ban from next summer, it was now or never for Coutinho. Anyway, we all know the politics of football and how clubs want to save face. This deal for Kieta may well have been already sorted beforehand and this is all postering for the RBL fans. 

1 hour ago, HK85 said:

Strange from a manager that doesn't like to throw money around, though. 

Apparently. 

Even with the VVD purchase, Liverpool had the lowest net spend in the last 2 years of anyone in the Premiere League. Klopp deserves a couple of star buys.

In his first 2 windows Klopp made a profit of around £15m. This summer he sold Sakho for £30mish amongst others.

Hes now spent between £50m -£70m since he’s been here (including VVD & Kieta) and look at our squad now compared to when he arrived ! Goalkeeper sorted next.

The mans a genius! 

You can keep Fat Sam 👍

If this Keita thing gets pushed through that is over £200 million spent this season alone. Seems strange from someone who isn't a cheque book manager.

All that money spent and I've never seen you further away from challenging for the title. 

11 minutes ago, HK85 said:

If this Keita thing gets pushed through that is over £200 million spent this season alone. Seems strange from someone who isn't a cheque book manager.

All that money spent and I've never seen you further away from challenging for the title. 

He’s recouped almost 3/4 of that £200m though, not including the Coutinho sale :coffee:

How much shit did Klopp get (even off our own fans) for not buying someone else when the VVD deal fell through last summer? Previous managers of ours would have gone for option 2 or 3 but no, he saved the money and waited for his number 1 target. Same with kieta! He couldn’t get him last summer so he saved the money and waited. He’s now got his number 1 targets for the spine of our team and suddenly the fans wanting Klopp’s bollocks nailing to the wall have all gone quite. 

Klopp is assembling a pretty strong squad, and he’s doing it whilst not breaking the bank. He’s buying well, and he’s selling well. 

Can't simultaneously mock being forced to sell your best players, and then spending to make up for those losses. That's what Klopp did continually at Dortmund - replace stars with lower-profile talents, and thenuse the difference to improve the rest of the squad. Generally, it worked as well. Barrios was replaced by Lewandowski. Sahin was replaced by Gundogan. Kagawa by Reus. Gotze by Mkhitaryan. Lewandowski (eventually) by Aubameyang, after a blunder with Immobile and Ramos.

If you sell big, you can spend big in more creative ways.

• Subscriber

Everyone besides Chelsea, City and United trying to win the title is like trying to run up the downstairs escalator with your knees tied together. As far as that goes I'd say Klopp is doing a decent job and it's fair to say that he has markedly improved some areas of their squad whilst continuing to lose some key players. Credit where credit is due.

The test is when he gets his goalkeeper and maybe another defender, do the leaks stop at the back? Because if they do continue that points toward it being a problem with the system more than the personnel which is a whole other issue for him to deal with. If the new recruits do work out in time for Salah and other key players to not have been plucked away by Real and Barca then Liverpool can start to think about another assault on the top of the table, potentially.

If Keita's the difference maker who'll help us qualify for the Champions League for the second year in a row, £13m is a drop in the ocean, but you could make exactly the same argument from Leipzig's point of view. I don't see why they'd let him go early.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The question here is (don’t get me wrong Liverpool fans, I love you all) is... And the academy?  Does Liverpool FC have an academy?  What’s the point in it!

We've got two highly rated academy kids around the fringes of the first team at the moment in Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ben Woodburn, but I'll agree we haven't seen enough from the academy in recent years. The only one who's made any kind of impact (bar Trent) is Jon Flanagan and even he's in the wilderness now. I think with Manchester United and now Manchester City just down the road, we're missing out on the top talent unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

If Keita's the difference maker who'll help us qualify for the Champions League for the second year in a row, £13m is a drop in the ocean, but you could make exactly the same argument from Leipzig's point of view. I don't see why they'd let him go early.

We've got two highly rated academy kids around the fringes of the first team at the moment in Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ben Woodburn, but I'll agree we haven't seen enough from the academy in recent years. The only one who's made any kind of impact (bar Trent) is Jon Flanagan and even he's in the wilderness now. I think with Manchester United and now Manchester City just down the road, we're missing out on the top talent unfortunately.

For me it’s all about giving them a chance, a go!  But what the Premier Keague has turned into, that’s impossible mate.

17 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The question here is (don’t get me wrong Liverpool fans, I love you all) is... And the academy?  Does Liverpool FC have an academy?  What’s the point in it!

Better academy than most.  Not perfect granted but Klopp has given a few youngsters a chance and a couple have made it into the first team squad as it stands. 

Who else out of Man U, City, Chelsea and even Arsenal and Spurs can say that lately? 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Better academy than most.  Not perfect granted but Klopp has given a few youngsters a chance and a couple have made it into the first team squad as it stands. 

Who else out of Man U, City, Chelsea and even Arsenal and Spurs can say that lately? 

We have Christensen in the starting XI, and last season we had three academy players win premier league medals. :bye:

Archived