talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Guardiola's Opinions on the Premier League

Pep is a miserable fuck in his interviews although the press have constantly pushed that 'Premier League is the best league in the world' rhetoric on him since he arrived and at times have borderline shown disrespect to other leagues in the process. Not that I'm defending Pep here, he really is miserable in his interviews and his behavior since arriving hasn't particularly helped win over those sections in England that have always doubted him.

EPL and La Liga are both fantastic leagues.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Spot on. He won't praise the league until the day he can win a game with only midfielders on the pitch. 

When City got Pep, almost instantly City became favourites to win the EPL, but, toink, no trophy, not even the lesser trophies like the League Cup.

And now, on his second season, bought in a lot of players, only a draw against Everton, even if we defend that City were down to 10 men, but still, they could have performed better.   and against the lowly Bournemouth, they didn't even dominate.     so, only excuses for Pep now.    Now, we're going to see his mettle if he is indeed what most perceive him as the "best coach of the new era" ...

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

His argument isn't that one...  His argument is that every league is difficult.  THEN he goes onto say that Spanish clubs perform on the only stage available to compare sides from different leagues which is European competition.

His argument as far as I can remember since he was even a player was that it's impossible to ascertain such a conclusion of which league is best.  There are massive clubs and amongst those massive clubs we have present stats to determine who's the best at that particular moment.

People could easily construe that my arguments over the years with you lot on two different boards has been to state that La Liga is the best and yet I've never actually said that.  My argument has always been that it is actually impossible to say this.  Anyone coming out with fleeting statements to the effect of how one division in one country is stronger than the other one needs to have a hell of a lot of details to back that up.

The full quotes weren't posted.

On the link he says the Premier League can't be considered tough until Tottenham beat Genk, let alone have any claim to being the toughest.

7 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

On the link he says the Premier League can't be considered tough until Tottenham beat Genk, let alone have any claim to being the toughest.

What would it mean if Spurs didn't beat Genk to you?

21 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

By the way... I'm interested. Pass me the full transcript as I can't find the Genk stuff even though it would be an interesting quote if he did say that. 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

He's full of shite when he says otherwise. He's just bitter he can't have a back three of all midfielders and win games 3 or 4-0 like he did in Spain. 

Still remember when he had Busquets, Abidal, and Mascherano in a back three and spanked Sociedad 5-0

Last time he tried something like that he got spanked by Leicester 

He also had players such as Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets and Alves in his side, who were able to dominate possession. Winning with make shift defences didn't only occur in La Liga, but also in the Champions League against some big sides, including English ones. Against Man United in the 2009 final, he had Puyol at right back, Yaya as a centre back and a 36 year old Sylvinho at left back, who hadn't played much all season.

He doesn't have the same level of footballers at City and was very lucky to manage such a special bunch in his first job. You can't compare league strength due to his results in both leagues when the team he is currently managing is nowhere near the same level. When I look at this City side, I don't see any players who would have even made his strongest 11 when he was at Barcelona. 2 very different sides.

He's also Spanish, so is naturally going to do better in his home country, managing a bunch of players that he even knew before they were professional players themselves.

As for Pep himself, he has become a miserable fucker xD.

1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

He also had players such as Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets and Alves in his side, who were able to dominate possession and take pressure off the defence. Winning with make shift defences didn't only occur in La Liga, but also in the Champions League against some big sides, including English ones. Against Man United in the 2009 final, he had Puyol at right back, Yaya as a centre back and a 36 year old Sylvinho at left back, who hadn't played much all season.

He doesn't have the same level of footballers at City and was very lucky to manage such a special bunch in his first job. You can't compare league strength due to his results in both leagues when the team he is currently managing is nowhere near the same level. When I look at this City side, I don't see any players who would have even made his strongest 11 when he was at Barcelona. 2 very different sides.

He's also Spanish, so is naturally going to do better in his home country, managing a bunch of players that he even knew before they were professional players themselves.

As for Pep himself, he has become a miserable fucker xD.

Barca were lucky United didn't put their chances away, could of easily gone to extra time. 2011 was another story however. Sheer domination. 

3 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

United looked threatening for the opening 15 minutes, then were walked all over after that. Xavi and Iniesta were magnificent that night and it was equally as dominant as 2011 to be honest.

Disagree completely mate. They had 2 or 3 chances alone within that time. Also recall an absolute sitter Ronaldo missed that went directly at Valdes during the 80th minute. Could of had 3 goals on a different night. 

2011, worlds apart. United's only chance was Rooney's goal which in itself should of been ruled offsides. Barca dominated them in every sense imaginable. Despite a few scares at the start, United were never in the game as opposed to 2009. 

By the way... I'm interested. Pass me the full transcript as I can't find the Genk stuff even though it would be an interesting quote if he did say that. 

Lol he didn't say Genk, he said the Premier League can't be considered tough if teams don't do well in Europe, whilst also saying the Premier League is tough.

I personally think he is rattled by the belittling of his achievements in Spain and Germany as piss easy rather than him having a well thought out opinion.

1 minute ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Lol he didn't say Genk, he said the Premier League can't be considered tough if teams don't do well in Europe, whilst also saying the Premier League is tough.

I personally think he is rattled by the belittling of his achievements in Spain and Germany as piss easy rather than him having a well thought out opinion.

Flippin 'eck!  Has MadLad hacked your forum account! xD

I was hoping he had said that because it would've made the whole interview a lot more interesting than what he actually said.  I don't see anything wrong at all with what he actually said.  He isn't saying if any league is stronger than any other.  He's saying that the only comparison we have between sides of different league is European competition.  That's his view, one held by most football people on the continent.  I hold that view too but it no way means I think one league is tougher or better than the other.

15 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Why would we waste our time debating anything he says?  

Because this forum is a bunch of losers who have nothing to do in their life but spend time on an online platform talking about a bunch of stupids kicking the ball 

I was hoping he had said that because it would've made the whole interview a lot more interesting than what he actually said.  I don't see anything wrong at all with what he actually said.  He isn't saying if any league is stronger than any other.  He's saying that the only comparison we have between sides of different league is European competition.  That's his view, one held by most football people on the continent.  I hold that view too but it no way means I think one league is tougher or better than the other.

Pep says the Premier League can call itself the toughest when it achieves what la liga is achieving. How is that a neutral position with no winner? If that is neutral then why can't la liga be considered the toughest for achieving that but the Premier League could? 

Your view doesn't match Pep's argument imo. I believe Pep is rattled by a lack of respect, especially by the bizarre line where he says he doesn't think going to the Nou Camp is easy, as if anyone in world football said it was.

I don't agree with sitting on the fence. There are myriad differences between the leagues and as such numerous ways to determine and measure competitiveness, choose what you think carries the most weighting and argue for it.

Personally I think that Premier League competitiveness is starting to go down having peaked and that European results are a symptom of an overly competitive domestic enviornment. I would say the Premier League was at its least competitive when the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea won the champions league! It's a good thing competitiveness is going down in a way as the football the top teams are able to provide will look better.

7 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Pep says the Premier League can call itself the toughest when it achieves what la liga is achieving. How is that a neutral position with no winner? If that is neutral then why can't la liga be considered the toughest for achieving that but the Premier League could? 

Your view doesn't match Pep's argument imo. I believe Pep is rattled by a lack of respect, especially by the bizarre line where he says he doesn't think going to the Nou Camp is easy, as if anyone in world football said it was.

I don't agree with sitting on the fence. There are myriad differences between the leagues and as such numerous ways to determine and measure competitiveness, choose what you think carries the most weighting and argue for it.

I think he's big enough to understand how football works in terms of results. He's a coach and coaches are measured by their results. If he's suddenly gone mental and has forgotten this, then the breakdown may be massive and rather bizarre.

There are massive differences between every league but anyone who feels they have a great unequivocal piece of informative analysis as to why one is tougher or better than the other should bring it out so as we can all enjoy understanding what they do. 

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I agree with Guardiola and with this.

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

Valencia were 12th last season and got a draw at the Bernabeu.

It's not a regular occurrence. It's big news everytime Barcelona or Real Madrid slip up because of that.

If European competition is the best way to gauge the competitiveness of the leagues... and we look at how many Spanish clubs are in the CL, and then look at how many English clubs are in the CL.... wouldn't that make England more competitive? 5 > 4, right?

Our teams aren't as good as Barca, Real Madrid, or Bayern Munich... but the quality of players in the league is spread out through way more teams. So we might not do as well in Europe (although there's a fair fucking degree of luck involved in European competition as well. Monaco v. Porto was a final, and the following year we won it in a team "blessed" with Djimi Traore and Salif Diao), we've certainly got a more interesting league to watch on any given matchday.

18 minutes ago, 6666 said:

It's not a regular occurrence. It's big news everytime Barcelona or Real Madrid slip up because of that.

Spurs got held at home by Burnley and Sky had whole segments devoted to discussing whether it must be a curse. 

How the media reacts is meaningless, it's just noise. 

Atletico Madrid - recent CL finalists and permanent semi-finalists - drew against complete newcomers Girona. New examples spring up constantly, but basically it's nonsense to suggest that everyone else rolls over vs the big teams in Spain. Teams have quality and the ability to threaten bigger sides. I'd say that the big teams in Spain are more superior to the big teams in England than the small teams in England are superior to the small teams in Spain, if that makes sense. 

When Barcelona or Real Madrid have to worry about a top 4 finish which all the top Premier League sides have had to in recent years then we can say it's as competitive but to suggest it's already as competitive is ridiculous. Atletico aren't really even close to them anymore.

Are we really using finishing in the top 4 as a sign of competitiveness? You are joking. It's not been competitive, it's been shit. United were shit, Chelsea were shit when they finished outside. Arsenal just aren't that good. Liverpool were shit when they finished below also.

We don't have an abundant of quality sides creating a competitive and exciting league, we've had an abundance of rubbish who haven't been fit to lace the boots of Real and Barce players.

The "race for the top 4" is just a sky engineered event, it means fuck all and as Spurs showed last season guarantees nothing.

Spain are dominated by Barce, Atletico and Real. England by Chelsea, United and City. Leicester were an anomaly. Competitiveness is a marketing ploy to sell a product lacking in the quality it once had.

You don't judge the quality of Scottish football by Celtic's performances because they are a freak in their own land. Like Bayern Munich.

Equating competitiveness with the quality of a team's performance makes the assumption there's no relationship between a league and that performance. Which in my opinion is gash.

The top teams being unable to hold down a consistent league position between seasons and performance within it is in an indication of difficulty. They can't get rhythm, momentum, confidence and other key mentality and psychological factors. 

The tide is turning in my opinion and the Premier League is going to get less competitive, back towards normal service instead of the freak it is.

• The title was changed to Guardiola's Opinions on the Premier League

Archived