talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Oxlade-Chamberlain Completes Liverpool Move

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever since he left Southampton where he really stood out as a player, I've struggled to rate Oxlade Chamberlain. Just don't think he's ever had that one outstanding season for Arsenal. And I said they would never win a league with players like him in the squad. I think they have got a great fee actually for what he's actually produced.

I find him that mediocre actually that the only way he appears for England is simply because our midfield is as dire as it has been for nearly 30 years.

That said, he is still early twenties so he has time on his side to develop, especially under a new younger manager who'll bring fresh ideas to his game, and you would think he would thrive playing in a quick attacking team like Liverpool.

Time will tell whether it was a good investment or misplaced faith.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has revealed that the prospect of playing under Jurgen Klopp was a big factor behind his decision to reject a move to Chelsea.

The 24-year-old joined Liverpool on deadline day after turning down a £35 million switch to the Premier League champions.

In an interview with The Times, Oxlade-Chamberlain described the decision to leave Arsenal as the hardest of his career, but the midfielder admits he was keen to experience Klopp’s management style.

prc_52071154.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&crop=180px%2C0px%2C842px%2C630px&resize=150%2C113&w=100&h=75Man City and Liverpool combined XI: Mane and Aguero in dream front three

‘I want to get more out of myself,’ said the England international.

‘I could have stayed at Arsenal and progressed there maybe – you never know what can happen – but I felt the main thing was taking myself out of my comfort zone and really push myself to achieve as much as I can in a team and a position where I want to progress.

‘That’s why Liverpool shouted out for me.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain reveals why he turned down Chelsea
Oxlade-Chamberlain was keen to work under Jurgen Klopp. (Getty Images)

‘Having been someone on the outside looking in, I couldn’t help but notice what the manager is doing here, and wondering what it would be like to play for a character like that.

‘He’s very inspirational, passionate, involved and intense. I felt that was something that could gee me up.

‘You can see from how the team play how he instils that intensity in the players. I feel like that kick up the backside would be good for me. Just meeting the manager for the first time reinforced that.

‘I could tell straight away he’s very warm, very close to the players.

‘The manager can take me up to the next level – I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t believe that. He sees a lot of good things in me, but he also sees areas that he believes he can push me and develop. That excites me.’

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Seems honest and fair enough. I would be keen to play for Klopp too if I were a player. 

Hope it works out well for the lad. Would be good to see him really kick on.

Yeah I think there's definitely a player in there and if nothing else he'll add very good depth to an already strong midfield/attack. 

Regarding his comments about Arsenal; I watched his interview on LFCTV when he first signed and he was really complimentary about them and you could tell it was a hard decision moving on. Obviously has deep affection for them. 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah I think there's definitely a player in there and if nothing else he'll add very good depth to an already strong midfield/attack. 

Regarding his comments about Arsenal; I watched his interview on LFCTV when he first signed and he was really complimentary about them and you could tell it was a hard decision moving on. Obviously has deep affection for them. 

Yeah, Arsenal obviously do inspire a bit of loyalty as some of that English core have hung around a long while. But at some point (if you are not cementing yourself a first team place and it looks unlikely to change) you need to move on for the sake of your career and that is fair enough. A similar situation I think will be when Sturrridge inevitably leaves. He maybe should have done it this year in order to stake a claim for WC2018, but from a selfish perspective he's very welcome to stay, he's great to have off the bench. A seriously dangerous player who is never far away from a goal despite his from, and how long he's been back in the side.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Oxlade-Chamberlain is fucking garbage. Everyone's known that since day one. Klopp can give him all the hugs he want's but he's still a waste of sperm and eggs.

And still probably better than anyone Everton signed this summer :ph34r:

• Subscriber

I made a comment earlier in this thread about how the club were going to use OX but I was so wrong. It seems like hes becoming a mainstay of some sort and for the life of me I can't figure out why he's playing instead of trying to load his slot with someone else. Today, he literally ran into a defender while stumbling over the ball and while he may have moments of brilliance (none that I have seen so far) I don't think its right to give him as much game time as he's gotten lately. 

7 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I made a comment earlier in this thread about how the club were going to use OX but I was so wrong. It seems like hes becoming a mainstay of some sort and for the life of me I can't figure out why he's playing instead of trying to load his slot with someone else. Today, he literally ran into a defender while stumbling over the ball and while he may have moments of brilliance (none that I have seen so far) I don't think its right to give him as much game time as he's gotten lately. 

Last night was his first start, his other appearances were as a late sub?

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Last night was his first start, his other appearances were as a late sub?

What I am eluding to is that hes getting more game-time than I had originally stated. I think he's still no there and shouldn't have been even getting on that much but now that we're out of one cup its going to be very hard to not play him. 

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

What I am eluding to is that hes getting more game-time than I had originally stated. I think he's still no there and shouldn't have been even getting on that much but now that we're out of one cup its going to be very hard to not play him. 

Not sure at all what you are getting at? He's been with us for 4 games and started once. In the other games he played about 25 minutes in total as a late sub. He'll now go back to being on the bench. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Not sure at all what you are getting at? He's been with us for 4 games and started once. In the other games he played about 25 minutes in total as a late sub. He'll now go back to being on the bench. 

That's what I was eluding to in my first post. I get that Klopp likes him but imo he should never have been used (starting or otherwise) so soon. Lets hope you're right.

5 hours ago, Mel81x said:

That's what I was eluding to in my first post. I get that Klopp likes him but imo he should never have been used (starting or otherwise) so soon. Lets hope you're right.

For 40m he's gonna get game time. He's fit, it's obvious he was going to play the game last night. I agree with Iggy, so far he's been shite and somewhat of a bad luck charm for us, but he can only improve. 

I really dont get the OX move to Liverpool,  I think he would play more at Arsenal but I think he left for not footballing reasons, there has to be something to do within the squad at Arsenal. 40 Million does seem to be a lot of money and pressure on him to perform, maybe he might become good but has been shocking so far. 

Archived