talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who had the best and worst transfer window?

5 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Sounds interesting but I'd like to find out where I said we would get into the top 6 before taking you up on the bet. It might take me some time to find, brb. 

I know you didn't say you'd break top 6.

My point is that with the new owners that were apparently going to plough money into transfers, plus the £90+m from Lukaku... I'd have thought you'd have invested better and therefor still won't be anywhere nearer achieving top 6 than you were last season, probably further away in fact.  

Just my opinion. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I know you didn't say you'd break top 6.

My point is that with the new owners that were apparently going to plough money into transfers, plus the £90+m from Lukaku... I'd have thought you'd have invested better and therefor still won't be anywhere nearer achieving top 6 than you were last season, probably further away in fact.  

Just my opinion. 

Those sorts of players are unattainable for us right now. We finished 7th ffs. You can't expect us to challenge for the players that pushed those above us further ahead. Money is the only thing we have to offer and now everyone has it. 

Sign the best of below us, hope for someone good above that is out of favour to make the move like Giroud and pray someone like Arsenal have a dreadful season. 

This is the first team changes from last season -

Out:
Gabriel (rarely played)
Jenkinson (never played)
Gibbs (rarely played)
Chamberlain (played regularly, rarely well)
L. Perez (rarely played)

In:
Chambers (will rarely play)
Kolasinac (will be a regular)
Wilshere (will rarely play)
Lacazette (will be a regular)

Hardly a disaster. As @Harry said, in terms of bad press it is the worst but if you actually look at it, it's just pretty average rather than a disaster. Most will obviously be swept up by how the media paint things but fuck those people. Main worry is just having to hope Sanchez doesn't act like a stupid child now that he has to see out the contract that he signed.

It's probably a good thing there's an international break this weekend for a few clubs who've had momentum sapping ends to the window. 

Arsenal and Chelsea both finished on sour notes so will benefit from the players having a bit of a cool off period.

3 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Out:
Gabriel
Jenkinson
Gibbs
Chamberlain
L. Perez

In:
Chambers
Kolasinac
Wilshere
Lacazette

Hardly a disaster. As @Harry said, in terms of bad press it is the worst but if you actually look at it, it's just pretty average rather than a disaster. Most will obviously be swept up by how the media paint things but if fuck those people. Main worry is just having to hope Sanchez doesn't act like a stupid child now that he has to see out the contract that he signed.

It's always hyped hugely by the press to exaggerate both good and bad. But still putting that hype to the side for me there's no question that Arsenal and Newcastle were on the lower end. Newcastle have likely pissed Rafa off to the point he wants out, and Arsenal have a pretty difficult year on their hands if they cant persuade a few players to sign new contracts.

But no one had a perfect window, and that extends beyond the EPL too.

PSG were the talking point landing Neymar and "loaning" Mbappe from their nearest league rival (aka skirting around FFP not wanting to be seen to spend $400m on 2 players in one summer). I really hope this prompts some action from UEFA or FIFA to try and fix the situation. They have graduated in my book to being the worst thing in football.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

PSG were the talking point landing Neymar and "loaning" Mbappe from their nearest league rival (aka skirting around FFP not wanting to be seen to spend $400m on 2 players in one summer). I really hope this prompts some action from UEFA or FIFA to try and fix the situation. They have graduated in my book to being the worst thing in football.

Yeah but they took a shit on Barcelona so it's forgivable. :ph34r:

• Subscriber

The best probably United but we'll see when they face some worthwhile opposition whether they've improved as much as Swansea and West Ham have made them look.

The worst, Newcastle.

The jury is out on Man City. If spending loads of money on random foreign players is a successful window then look no further, but any team spending that sort of money and relying on sick note Kompany, John fucking Stones and Otamendi in their back line needs to look at themselves. For all the £50m full backs, Jonny Evans may have been their best signing of the window had it gone through.

Chelsea speaks for itself, I think they'll be fine on the pitch but their window has been a shambles.

Tottenham have done alright under the radar. Liverpool have made some improvements but I wouldn't call it a successful window because they fucked the Van Dijk transfer and had nearly two months to sort out a plan B and didn't. Everton had a great start but weren't able to unearth a centre forward so average from their point of view as well.

I saw somebody arguing that Arsenal have only lost Chamberlain and signed Lacazette and Kolasinac so overall they've improved. This mentality is exactly why Arsenal are spiralling away from the top of the league. The £92m bid for Lemar but not getting over the line is Arsenal all over, pretending they're still contenders year in year out while the real contenders get shit done. Congratulations on forcing Sanchez to stay, I look forward to seeing him sulk his way through the first half of the season until Wenger is forced to sell him anyway. Arsenal needed a big summer, they did next to nothing. For me, they've had an even worse window than Chelsea or Spurs.

Other notables, we'll see how West Ham get on because on paper they should have made a step forward. Swansea did well late on and despite losing Sigurdsson are arguably better equipped than they were at the start of the summer.

The rest, meh, pretty uninspiring window for the league as a whole.

Chelsea had a bad window? I don't get that. I'm a little gutted by Ox but missing Barkley is a blessing. Other than that the club's bid for Llorente wasn't even accepted, which sucks but it happens. Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Rudiger, and Zappacosta are all players that fit the philosophy. The club has cover for every position on the field and numerous players that can play several positions. 

2 hours ago, 6666 said:

Out:
Gabriel (rarely played)
Jenkinson (never played)
Gibbs (rarely played)
Chamberlain (played regularly, rarely well)
L. Perez (rarely played)

In:
Chambers (will rarely play)
Kolasinac (will be a regular)
Wilshere (will rarely play)
Lacazette (will be a regular)

Hardly a disaster. As @Harry said, in terms of bad press it is the worst but if you actually look at it, it's just pretty average rather than a disaster. Most will obviously be swept up by how the media paint things but fuck those people. Main worry is just having to hope Sanchez doesn't act like a stupid child now that he has to see out the contract that he signed.

Yeah but its a disaster because there is no replacement for Cazorla, no proper defeniseve midfielder who can tackle and win the ball, no CB brought in to replace Mertesacker, No backup for Bellerin to challenge his position and provide a kick to his back. Supposed to offload deadweight like Walcott and bring in another player in his place but that never happened.

I think Everton have had a good window tbh. Improved a lot at GK & CB, brought in a player who in the right system will be great going forward in Sigurdson, signed another highly rated CM, and Rooney might be passed his best but he still has talent and offers important experience. And because he's actually won things he might be able to change the attitude of Everton players in big matches. I hope the signings don't improve them too much, but I can see them being better next season for sure.

Newcastle had the worst window imo. They needed a bit more quality, they didn't bring it in really. It will be a rough season for them I think.

City and United had the best windows. Addressed clear issues their squads had with their respective systems - but they spent a lot to do that. Chelsea can feel a bit disappointed because while they spent the 2nd most amount, they're still lacking in depth they need with more games.

I think our window was alright. We got Salah and he makes us so much more dangerous with his pace and movement in the final third. Ox gives us needed midfield depth all over the midfield, and his pace and workrate give me hope Klopp can salvage his remaining potential. Robertson hasn't played a lot, because weirdly Moreno has started to play football properly - but when he has played he looks good. But as things stand, that's depth at left back for the first time in ages.

But we didn't solve our glaring issue with a new CB. And we sold our 2nd best CB, although he was frozen out and never going to play.

22 minutes ago, shut up said:

Our signings have been quality and we haven't lost any of our best players. We needed a CB though. Next season when we lose Alexis & Ozil for free is gonna be a killer.

Seems to me a lot of analysis of Lpools window is based mostly on a great performance vs us. But they've always had great games like that. That's never been their problem - under Rodgers or Klopp. Their issue is that they also draw 3-3 with Watford etc etc

But you've lost many players mentally. Mustafi, Alexis, Ozil, Xhaka, and who knows who else.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, shut up said:

No, we haven't. Alexis hasn't handed in a transfer request or faked an injury, or refused to train, like some players I could mention.

He's fine and will give 100%. As will the rest.

he clearly would prefer to be somewhere else though. a player like him doesn't want to be challenging for European spots and playing in Europa League. He clearly feels like he wants to be in a squad challenging for titles and competing in the Champions League

I am with @Spike on Chelsea. They had a decent transfer window.

Arsenal's main problem is the manager not the players.

Newcastle clearly by far had the worst window. They made zero efforts of using Rafa's ability to attract players. If he gets an offer from another English club (say West Ham) then he will walk.

I am personally content with our transfers. Sure, a CB was the most important thing, but beyond that we have achieved all our targets: got a LB, kept Coutinho, added pace in Salah and Ox and even Dom looks like a good buy. The squad is considerably improved and shouldn't have problem with the added UCL campaign.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Best - Manchester United spring to mind straight away. While many were scrambling around at 11pm, Jose Mourinho was tucked up in bed. The Nemanja Matic signing is a master stroke and allows Paul Pogba more of a free rein. 

Worst - There's a few candidates. Some haven't replaced players who've departed (Leicester and Everton) while Chelsea got rejected by everyone but the worst has to be Arsenal, surely. 

We aren't even close to the worst. I'd say ours was definitely one of the better. You may have missed us getting Adrien Silva in for Drinkwater though.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Stan said:

who have we not replaced, out of interest?

I think we've had a decent window. 

Maguire for £17m is a steal. Improves on our ageing centre-backs in Morgan and Huth. Dragovic in on loan as well so we've got good enough cover there as required (last season, 3 of our 4 centre-backs were over 30).

Iborra and possibly Adrien Silva have come in to our central midfield. Although not the strongest midfield still, it's a place that did need strengthening and that's happened. Mendy has gone on loan to Nice but he barely played for us so don't think we'll miss him. Drinkwater will be missed to an extent but we have replaced him there. 

We've added Iheanacho to our strikeforce so we're not just relying on Vardy as our quick striker. Would have preferred to get rid of Ulloa but we gave him a new contract instead xD 

And we also added Jakupovic who is a good back-up for Schmeichel. 

The fact we've kept Mahrez (so far if Barca don't come for him), Vardy and Schmeichel who are all very influential to the way we play means we've had a good window. A transfer window or deadline day isn't about who you bring in; it's just as much about who you can keep, too. 

For me, the best window has been by Utd. Lukaku and Matic are solid signings. I think if Liverpool had bought a centre-back to improve their vulnerable defence, I'd have chosen them as well as Utd for having the best summer. 

Pretty much took the words from my mouth. I've been very skeptical of our recruitment in the past year or so but I think we've had a very decent window this time out.

5 hours ago, shut up said:

Our signings have been quality and we haven't lost any of our best players. We needed a CB though. Next season when we lose Alexis & Ozil for free is gonna be a killer.

Hoping for a move for Fekir or Pjanic if Ozil leaves.

Archived