talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Hip Hop/Rap

football forum

On 28/11/2017 at 6:52 AM, True Blue said:

Never knew Big L was in a hip hop group, from those names i am familiar with Fat Joe and L never heard of the rest (rap/hip hop is not my main music genre)

Yeah, a lot of them never went on to really do big things mate apart from the 2 you mentioned and Lord Finesse.

Old Skool Westcoast:-

Ice T made some great hardcore hip hop back then.

This is class and from earlier this year. All of them kill it and haven't lost it at all. Redman is a beast on this and it's why I regard him as one of the GOATs. He's been on the scene since the early 90s and can still do his thing to this day when he wants to. When Eminem regards Redman as the GOAT, he means it. He's that rapper who you'd most like to meet, so you could just chill out with him and smoke a few blunts.

As for Meth, his flow and delivery are as great as it was when he first stepped on the scene.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

Been listening to Bone Thugs' E.1999 again a lot recently, along with other West Coast stuff (yeah I know they're from Cleveland but stylistically WC). With the amount of stuff that's online today you can find a lot of interesting background info and other stuff. Like I found out that the verses by Dresta and BG Knocc Out on Real Muthafucking Gz were recorded on the same day they met Eazy-E.

Also found this early version of Bone Thugs' "Down 71" that sounds like it would've fit perfectly on their first EP.

• Upvote 1

On 21/12/2017 at 9:13 AM, Panflute said:

Been listening to Bone Thugs' E.1999 again a lot recently, along with other West Coast stuff (yeah I know they're from Cleveland but stylistically WC). With the amount of stuff that's online today you can find a lot of interesting background info and other stuff. Like I found out that the verses by Dresta and BG Knocc Out on Real Muthafucking Gz were recorded on the same day they met Eazy-E.

Also found this early version of Bone Thugs' "Down 71" that sounds like it would've fit perfectly on their first EP.

I#ve always been more about  East Coast hip hop as I always preferred the harder sound and the lyrical content, but the west coast back had a lot of great artists and they came out with their own styles. Bone, Thugs were among my favourites from the West.

20 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I never really liked their songs that were just about doing drugs. Budsmokers Only and Buddah Lovaz were the weakest songs of E.1999 imo. Those ice-cold raps about murder and violence were always what defined their sound for me. Like a blend of G-Funk and Horrorcore.

On 24/12/2017 at 11:39 AM, Panflute said:

I never really liked their songs that were just about doing drugs. Budsmokers Only and Buddah Lovaz were the weakest songs of E.1999 imo. Those ice-cold raps about murder and violence were always what defined their sound for me. Like a blend of G-Funk and Horrorcore.

The ecstasy song was class, although I was never a big fan of their weed songs myself really. The best weed songs were usually made by Cypress Hill.

Unrelated, but check this out:-

What a monster.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrigz(formerly known as Wrigley, from Manchester) is underrated as fuck. He always has been since back in the day when he used to rap/mc with Shotty Horroh, Shifty, Liqz, etc.  Good to see him back active again these days. Very underrated.

@Teso dos Bichos, @Danny @Happy Blue

Edited by The Rebel CRS

6 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Wrigz(formerly known as Wrigley, from Manchester) is underrated as fuck. He always has been since back in the day when he used to rap/mc with Shotty Horroh, Shifty, Liqz, etc.  Good to see him back active again these days. Very underrated.

@Teso dos Bichos, @Danny @Happy Blue

Who dat?   ..never heard of him mate ..i'm more into Death Metal then rap though so.. xD

Someone from down your way mate who I used to listen to years back but seems to have started making music again. He's good to be fair.

On 19/01/2018 at 23:25, Teso dos Bichos said:

Old but Damn royce is so goddamn underrated by others. Stretch money is a good one too

Edited by The Rebel CRS

Kurupt was the best on Death Row for me and Dogg food was arguably the best album the label produced. Then again Dr Dre the Chronic and Snoop Dogg Doggstyle are absolute classics.

One thing I will say though is that I preferred 2pac's work before he went on Death Row and his unrealeased material. That was 2pac at his ultimate best for me.

As for Kurupt, his verses as part of the Four Horsemen were class as well. Kurupt, Canibus, Rass Kass and Killah Preist. A very interesting combination to be honest.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Kurupt was the best on Death Row for me and Doggystyle was arguably the best album the label produced. Then again Dr Dre the Chronic and Snoop Dogg Doggstyle are absolute classics.

The thing about The Chronic is that it is a monumental hiphop album that really established (though did not invent) G-Funk as the West Coast sound for years to come. Still it isn't an album that is good from start to finish, which is rare in hiphop anyway. It's front-loaded with classics such as Fuck Wit Dre Day, Let Me Ride and Nuthing But A G Thang, but then you have forgettable songs like Lil Ghetto Boy and filler like High Powered and the album goes out on a whimper.

I think Dogg Food might be a stronger album throughout, mainly because Kurupt is a top-tier MC while Dr. Dre as a rapper (not a producer) is okay at best.

10 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Yeah Dre is nothing special as a rapper at all, but his production was immense and that's what made the album.

Doggystyle was better overall and Dogg Food was the better album for overall lyrical content. Not just Kurupt, but Daz was brilliant himself.

Tbh I've always preferred Ruthless over Death Row when it comes to West Coast music. They may not have top-end rappers like Kurupt and 2Pac (apart from Bone Thugs), but producers like Rhythm D, Cold 187um, Yella and DJ U-Neek they did have a more underground take on the G-Funk sound. Productions like this define that era for me: