talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

House Prices

football forum

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But it's sort of a pain in the arse and really the best benefit I get is that this area gets better internet speeds than anywhere else where I live & at weirdly cheap prices.

Is that really such a huge issue in "developed" world? I get great internet speeds at villages in "developing" countries for no extra cost...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

If you can get a house in a neighborhood and an apartment in down town for the same price what would you prefer and why ? 

Define town and neighbourhood.

Living in a town centre to me would mean Central Manchester which is all swanky apartments, busy traffic and lively nightlife.

A neighbourhood to me would be like where I live now, on the outer ring of Manchester in touching distance of the city centre and plenty of stuff to do.

Is that your definition of neighbourhood or are you thinking something further out of town, more rural?

Just now, nudge said:

Is that really such a huge issue in "developed" world? I get great internet speeds at villages in "developing" countries for no extra cost...

I wouldn't say it's a "huge" issue. But I don't think internet prices are very "fair" in the US - at least not on the west coast (or California at least - which is the only part of the country I've lived in and before that I was in the UK with internet at my parents house & only paid for my own broadband at uni for a couple of years and split that with roommates so that felt very cheap).

In America getting internet around the same speed as my parents get in the UK was annoyingly expensive expensive for a while. Now my neighborhood has very very cheap fiber internet, literally a fraction of the cost of what I was paying before.

I think every country is different tbh. There's parts of the developing world where there's similar tiered internet speeds at different prices (generally significantly lower than in the US) - but the speeds are generally crap too.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I wouldn't say it's a "huge" issue. But I don't think internet prices are very "fair" in the US - at least not on the west coast (or California at least - which is the only part of the country I've lived in and before that I was in the UK with internet at my parents house & only paid for my own broadband at uni for a couple of years and split that with roommates so that felt very cheap).

In America getting internet around the same speed as my parents get in the UK was annoyingly expensive expensive for a while. Now my neighborhood has very very cheap fiber internet, literally a fraction of the cost of what I was paying before.

I think every country is different tbh. There's parts of the developing world where there's similar tiered internet speeds at different prices (generally significantly lower than in the US) - but the speeds are generally crap too.

Give me numbers 🤔

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Give me numbers 🤔

Where I live there's 3 options of ISPs:

• DSL - for this one, I'll just give the max speed they offered in my building. 100mbps for $55 a month
  • Internet through the cable box - for this one, I'll give you what I was paying 8 months ago: 300 mbps for $90 a month
  • Fiber - 1000 mbps a month for $32 (if you pay up front for the year, like I did)

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

If you can get a house in a neighborhood and an apartment in down town for the same price what would you prefer and why ? 

House, by a considerable distance.

I've lived in a flat in the town centre and I loved the independence but the busy nightlife/roads/traffic at times was frustrating at times. 

Plus you get so many niggly or smaller issues in high volume in flats/apartments. Dodgy neighbours, communal areas that can go in to neglect/disrepair. Just seems more of a chore to live in.

As for house, you have actual ownership of the land (you can get it with a flat too, but the block is usually owned by someone else). A house you can model in to your own, will come with a garden and you can help make your neighbourhood feel like more of a community. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Where I live there's 3 options of ISPs:

• DSL - for this one, I'll just give the max speed they offered in my building. 100mbps for $55 a month
  • Internet through the cable box - for this one, I'll give you what I was paying 8 months ago: 300 mbps for $90 a month
  • Fiber - 1000 mbps a month for $32 (if you pay up front for the year, like I did)

Now that's an interesting comparison. In LT a while ago, i had same speed options - 100mbps for 11€, 300mbps for 15€, and 1gbs for 20€ a month. In Cambodia, I had 100mbps for 30 a month. The only issue was power cuts  where I wouldnt have any internet at all xD 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Now that's an interesting comparison. In LT a while ago, i had same speed options - 100mbps for 11€, 300mbps for 15€, and 1gbs for 20€ a month. In Cambodia, I had 100mbps for 30 a month. The only issue was power cuts  where I wouldnt have any internet at all xD 

I think in Iran it's 680,185 rial for 8mbps (roughly 13€)

7 hours ago, Devil said:

Define town and neighbourhood.

Living in a town centre to me would mean Central Manchester which is all swanky apartments, busy traffic and lively nightlife.

A neighbourhood to me would be like where I live now, on the outer ring of Manchester in touching distance of the city centre and plenty of stuff to do.

Is that your definition of neighbourhood or are you thinking something further out of town, more rural?

Yeah this. 

4 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Yeah this. 

Then in my case its the location I am in now, I couldn't live any further out as I feel I need that close connection to stuff that's happening.

I'd hate to have to drive an hour for the cinema or to buy decent clothes.

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Devil said:

6 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Yeah this. 

A suburb then. 

Archived