talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

House Prices

football forum

Bought my first house for 95k. It was a 2 bed terraced. Sold it for 85k after getting buttfucked due to 2008. We managed to get a decently deal on a 3 bed semi for 150k, 15k deposit. Then managed to sell it for 190k 4 years later. We’ve moved up our career ladders and stretched to 295k for our house now. 4 bed detached close to all the Motorway links and a 20 min drive to work. We’ve spent 25k on renovations, and it’s now valued at 375k. 

If I hadn’t bought a house at 20, there’s no chance I’d be where I am on the ladder today. Fancy a move to Scotland though as we’ve seen some mansions in our price range.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18/09/2018 at 09:28, SirBalon said:

Anyone that wants to invest in property in London should wait for Brexit if it ever occurs.  How long before you make anything substantial is another matter but you'll be able to buy at much lower prices.

Alot of European investors are all waiting to buy in London, as they will get more if the Pound drops. 

• Administrator

Feel quite fortunate in my position.

Brought my flat 3 years ago and it's gained 30k in price if I were to sell it now.

Have moved back in with my parents and I'm now renting the flat out, which means I can save more as paying less on bills, which then goes towards funding future stuff. 

On 06/09/2017 at 12:25, The Palace Fan said:

London prices are astronomical but with the economic uncertainty it's unlikely they will rise on the steep curve that it once was. To put it in perspective my property which is a one bedroom flat in Colliers Wood was purchased for £180,000 in January 2015. A same build flat in the same area went for £230,000 in January 2016. Then a Brexit Vote and a Hung Parliament later my flat is being sold in August 2017 for £240,000. That's taking in to consideration the area has rejuvenated somewhat and the northern line has gone 24/7. So whatever you need for a deposit now is likely to be the maximum you'd need for the next couple of years from my situation.

But speaking as someone who has lived in areas such as Wimbledon, Kingston, Mitcham, Battersea and Tooting I cannot for the life of me imagine why somebody in a steady relationship thinking about the next chapter of their life consider moving in to Central London or even the outskirts of London. It's great when you're in your early twenties. When you've graduated from university and after whoring your CV out everywhere you've managed to get that job that gives you that excuse to look suave, wear flash clothes, show your new life on instagram and create a great snapchat story all whilst still having the time to see your friends on your lunch breaks and still get to drink as much you want on Friday and Saturday evenings in sophisticated establishments with like minded people you feel great. You're career orientated, you don't have any other commitments or responsibilities other than improving yourself and you feel like you've made it.

Then when you hit your mid to late twenties and you're now in a relationship it changes. You begin to recognize It's busy all the time, crime is absolutely rife, traffic is a nightmare, most people are rude, and you pay almost six quid now in some places for a pint.

You begin to recognize that you can't bring a family up round here. Not in the sized accommodation you can afford anyway, and you recognize that if you did you'd become paranoid about all the crime that occurs within a mile radius from your flat, and your future children settling in with the wrong crowd. Then you'll meet THAT couple from university that stayed by together, bought a house outside of London with 4+ bedrooms, a garage, a massive garden, all recently renevated on there money all whilst raising a family and being ridiculously happy. Where they live it's quiet, the air smells fresh, Ambulances go past and they're not on blue lights, Strangers wave and talk to each other, Neighbors are on first name terms, and drinks are more fairly priced. All of this for what? Twenty minutes extra commute in to work every day? Absolute fucking no brainer.

So yeah Stan, I'd choose St Albans

St Albans is one of the most expensive areas in the UK also :ph34r:

12 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Bought my first house for 95k. It was a 2 bed terraced. Sold it for 85k after getting buttfucked due to 2008. We managed to get a decently deal on a 3 bed semi for 150k, 15k deposit. Then managed to sell it for 190k 4 years later. We’ve moved up our career ladders and stretched to 295k for our house now. 4 bed detached close to all the Motorway links and a 20 min drive to work. We’ve spent 25k on renovations, and it’s now valued at 375k. 

If I hadn’t bought a house at 20, there’s no chance I’d be where I am on the ladder today. Fancy a move to Scotland though as we’ve seen some mansions in our price range.

Haha fuck sake, 375k would get you two bedrooms and a high possibility of being stabbed in London 😂

12 hours ago, 6666 said:

Being in London, that sounds like a dream situation. xD

I've been looking at some houses in Brisbane and oh my god are they cheap and look fucking magnificent. Like beautiful, 3 bed home with a garage and pool for the price of a former council house in Slough.

4 hours ago, Danny said:

Haha fuck sake, 375k would get you two bedrooms and a high possibility of being stabbed in London 😂

It’s absolute shite mate. My Mrs’ boss lived in London in a 3 bed semi and it was about 950k. He moved up Manchester way and now resides in a 5 bed with a swimming pool. That’s how fucking insane the disparity is.

8 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

It’s absolute shite mate. My Mrs’ boss lived in London in a 3 bed semi and it was about 950k. He moved up Manchester way and now resides in a 5 bed with a swimming pool. That’s how fucking insane the disparity is.

Yeah mate, it's mental really. Fortunate are the ones who bought their houses decades ago and could sell for a fortune now. Unfortunately London isn't built for the working classes to own property.

14 hours ago, Toinho said:

Don’t think I’ll be on the house wagon any time soon unless I get one of the jobs I’m applying for back south of Perth. But then again, I quite like the idea of an apartment by the ocean... 

I would happily live in a flat if my "garden" was the beach xD

15 minutes ago, Danny said:

I would happily live in a flat if my "garden" was the beach xD

Haha, can’t afford the ones on the beachfront but a few streets back = affordable. I just don’t know where I want to settle so not rushing into the market, even though as a young lad I set myself a goal of owning property by 30. I’ve got 5 months if I’m to follow that bullsht haha 

2 hours ago, Toinho said:

Haha, can’t afford the ones on the beachfront but a few streets back = affordable. I just don’t know where I want to settle so not rushing into the market, even though as a young lad I set myself a goal of owning property by 30. I’ve got 5 months if I’m to follow that bullsht haha 

Haha, you looking at around Fremantle or further south?

8 hours ago, Toinho said:

Fair play mate. Not sure if I'll be able to buy until about 45 :( single that is with someone I might be able to

25 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Fair play mate. Not sure if I'll be able to buy until about 45 :( single that is with someone I might be able to

If things progress and go well with my girlfriend (only been two months) together we would be earning a significant amount so a house would be easily affordable you’d imagine. 

• 3 years later...

We've been looking to move for a while now but the market has been a complete joke unless you are prepared to pay £20-25k over asking price.

Honestly, it's crazy. Really hope it settles down soon. Estate Agents have been revelling in it the slimy bastards.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Lucas said:

We've been looking to move for a while now but the market has been a complete joke unless you are prepared to pay £20-25k over asking price.

Honestly, it's crazy. Really hope it settles down soon. Estate Agents have been revelling in it the slimy bastards.

Yep, need it to settle down by next summer please. 

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

Yeah it's been crazy for sometime, my mum and dad have been trying to find a house in North Wales for the last twelve months and just basically keep hitting brick walls.

People are actually putting offers in without viewing the properties other than the internet so house can be on the market 30 minutes and it will already have an accepted offer on it. 

Like you say you then have to decide whether you want to increase on that offer. 

I have a feeling that a lot of rich people abroad despite Brexit see the UK as a good place to buy property.

I notice a short while back NZ approved legislation to stop foreigners buying up NZ residential property.

I wondered if some thing like that could happen here, though it would certainly have upset some quarters of society.

On 29/10/2021 at 23:40, Lucas said:

It is indeed. I'm trying to look for a house and it's ridiculous really. As @Devil mentioned (at least up North), Wales in general has seen the highest jumps in house prices as people are simply snapping them up (especially as Wales, I believe, has some of the lowest prices in the UK).

Given my position, I can't simply buy a house on a whim as I need to view it first. However, any decent properties are snapped up in an instant. 

1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

It is indeed. I'm trying to look for a house and it's ridiculous really. As @Devil mentioned (at least up North), Wales in general has seen the highest jumps in house prices as people are simply snapping them up (especially as Wales, I believe, has some of the lowest prices in the UK).

Given my position, I can't simply buy a house on a whim as I need to view it first. However, any decent properties are snapped up in an instant. 

Put it this way, my parents could sell their two bedroom cottage in Manchester and then buy a four bedroom property with a decent amount of land for about 80k less in North Wales.

You've also got the added bonus your a short drive from some amazing beach's.

So it's hardly a surprise people from Manchester are flocking to Wales.

3 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

If you can get a house in a neighborhood and an apartment in down town for the same price what would you prefer and why ? 

When I was younger I would say in a town centre/downtown area - more shit to do. I live in a downtown area right now because of that. But it's sort of a pain in the arse and really the best benefit I get is that this area gets better internet speeds than anywhere else where I live & at weirdly cheap prices.

But nowadays I think a neighborhood would suit me better. You get more space for what you pay for, less proximity to neighbors which is nice. Also my neighborhood has gotten way shittier over the years and it's become dirty as fuck and crime ridden. Easier parking situation as well.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

If you can get a house in a neighborhood and an apartment in down town for the same price what would you prefer and why ? 

To live in myself - the house in suburbs. To own and rent out - the apartment in down town.

Fuck big cities and down towns.

Archived