talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League clubs vote to close transfer window before season start

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Premier League clubs have voted to close next summer's transfer window before the season starts.

Managers have complained that the ability for players to move when the season is under way causes disruption to their squads and preparations.

From next season, the window will close at 17:00 BST on the Thursday before the Premier League season begins.

The decision was not unanimous and does not impact upon the length of the window in the Football League.

But the move means Premier League clubs will not be able to sign or sell players when their season is under way, while other European leagues will continue to allow such movement until 31 August.

• Administrator

why is it that the Premier League window finished midnight on Thursday, but foreign clubs could still buy players on the Friday when their deadline finished? 

How come that has changed? Also, what's to stop a player moving the night before the first game of the season - is that not disruption, too? 

Well when the window closes the players in England won't be able to move or will the clubs be able to sign new players. I think that is alright because if it keeps like this you go through the entire pre season and then lose 3-4 key players when the season starts.

Interesting... 

I think the idea makes sense in one regard. better to have sorted everything out before the season starts but while other leagues are going on for longer that is going to cause problems surely? 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

why is it that the Premier League window finished midnight on Thursday, but foreign clubs could still buy players on the Friday when their deadline finished? 

How come that has changed? Also, what's to stop a player moving the night before the first game of the season - is that not disruption, too? 

On the first part I am not sure why its not one bog standard open/close time for all and maybe its just the cynic in me but I don't remember it being like that last season?? only this year someone had the downright audacity to rob Barcelona of one of their players ( which they were obviously not expecting ) so maybe they changed the window just for them :ph34r: 

Don't want the Spanish clubs being at a disadvantage going into a new season do we so were probably given an extra 24 hours to go rob someone else... 

Just a guess mind... B|

On the second part most clubs would be aware of potential moves for players so doubt it would be that much of an issue

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

It doesn't matter that it closes earlier here and not elsewhere. Only fucktards haven't done their business before the start of the season anyway.

Was that a not so thinly veiled stab at your own club there mate... xD

Ours was the same.. Credit to United and Mourinho for getting their business wrapped up to avoid the last day carnage 

58 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Was that a not so thinly veiled stab at your own club there mate... xD

Ours was the same.. Credit to United and Mourinho for getting their business wrapped up to avoid the last day carnage 

Newcastle United are worse than fucktards because we don't get business done full stop. Never mind before the start of the season. 

To be honest it was more a dig at the morons who rush all their business on the last day. Oh let's bid for Alexis Sanchez, Danny Drinkwater etc now and not in any day of the previous 2 months. Morons. Oh no we sent out papers 14 seconds too late this is so unfair it is only 14 seconds. You had 2 months to buy that player. Morons.

It reminds me of people I went to uni with who handed their assignments in during the last 10 minutes of the deadline after a mad rush then complain the next day that they didn't have enough time. Morons. They're just not very efficient at managing their time.

• Administrator

contrary to what i was led to believe earlier, turns out Premier League clubs can still sell til the end of the usual window. so clubs could still face lot of disruption anyway xDxD 

I don't like this. Just puts English clubs at a disadvantage with no real benefit.

4 hours ago, FOYM said:

We managed to tell Barcelona to fuck off, Southampton managed to tell us to fuck off....so more clubs will just have to tell others to fuck off when they come in for their players.

What about players with release clauses, or clubs not in a financial position to just tell others to fuck off?

1 hour ago, FOYM said:

Most clubs in England have plenty of money now, especially the top flight. If you put a release clause in a contract then you live with the consequences. 

Players sometimes insist. Firmino has one and Emre Can won't sign a new deal unless one is inserted. 

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Players sometimes insist. Firmino has one and Emre Can won't sign a new deal unless one is inserted. 

More importantly, it's the teams' best and most important players who insist, and have the leverage to have it granted. These are the players that are most at risk of being poached while their teams are completely unable to replace them.

20 hours ago, Stan said:

contrary to what i was led to believe earlier, turns out Premier League clubs can still sell til the end of the usual window. so clubs could still face lot of disruption anyway xDxD 

Yeah i also wasn't aware of that. I thought when it was closed it was closed for in and out. Apparently only for in and the clubs can still sell players.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Machado said:

Bryan Swanson‏ @skysports_bryan 
Crystal Palace, Man City, Man United, Swansea & Watford voted against changing summer transfer window. Burnley abstained. Thoughts? #SSN

apparently Pep & Jose wanted the early change as well but they were ignored by their superiors.

On 07/09/2017 at 5:04 PM, HoneyNUFC said:

It doesn't matter that it closes earlier here and not elsewhere. Only fucktards haven't done their business before the start of the season anyway.

I am a bit bemused as to why clubs wait till the end of the window to complete transfers but it does happen a lot

Archived