talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League clubs vote to close transfer window before season start

14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I am a bit bemused as to why clubs wait till the end of the window to complete transfers but it does happen a lot

It's a game of poker. I never understood it until the year we got promoted. We had to wait until the very end of the window for Ipswich and Bristol City to sign players so we could get Damien Delaney and Yannick Bolasie. We then went from bottom to top in ten games. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

It's a game of poker. I never understood it until the year we got promoted. We had to wait until the very end of the window for Ipswich and Bristol City to sign players so we could get Damien Delaney and Yannick Bolasie. We then weInt from bottom to top in ten games. 

Ah right good point. I've always guessed there was a reason just not to sure what it was. I guess thats why we signed ozil on the last day. We had to wait for the bale deal to go through. I think it is a good idea for the transfer window to be closed by the time the season starts but I think it needs to be done in all the European leagues. But I still think good will come of it because European teams will know an English team won't sell a top player without a replacement

There has been a fair few people around work and generally dotted around the internet cobbing up that European teams now have an unfair advantage that they can just come in and sign/disrupt/unsettle players at English clubs, who then can't be replaced, boo hoo. 

Pardon me while I get out my violin out.

Personally, I think it's completely logical and in England, we might, for once, actually lead a positive change in football across the continent. There's just no rationality in the current system of being able to sign a whole new squad of players for a month after you've had an entire summer to do your business and get your squad playing together as a coherent unit.

The deadline going beyond the first game was only to the benefit of those who misjudged their own team in the summer and ended up starting the season badly or weak in one area. That might actually be the fault of the chairman more often than it is managers.

No wonder Crystal Palace voted against :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'd guess they're hoping to set a trend.

I think most of those clubs are shooting themselves in the foot, there's only really a few clubs in the division who are buying clubs, for everyone else they're losing the chance to push up the price of a player because of a few dodgy results.

Maybe. Honestly I think it will normalise after a while. Even if no one outside of England changes their cutoff clubs around Europe will re-align to work around the England date. 

If Madrid are looking to bring in a player from Italy but only then would let go of their deadweight they will want to wrap it up in time to let the deadweight leave to the EPL for a premium fee. It will work out.

I do agree that the clubs that lose their first three will potentially have no means to make adjustments to their squad and will be left staring down the barrel of a very long season.

• 5 months later...

Archived