talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup Qualifiers (CONMEBOL) October 5th and October 10th

football forum

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

The thing is mate, if you don't rise to it, people will get bored of trying to bait you and move on. Don't satisfy them. Sometimes people will answer back on the internet simply because they want to be seen to have had 'the last word'. Sometimes you are better off just thinking to yourself 'Yeah, whatever' or 'Bollocks' and leave it.

Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to the CONMEBOL tomorrow night as I'm on nights at work so will give me something to watch. Wouldn't be against Peru going through. Really hoping Chile make it as I like how they play and they won me over at the 2014 WC. Don't like Uruguay, Colombia are ok and Argentina are...Argentina. I have no clue really about Paraguay, they are a bit of an enigma really. Don't seem to do much at the finals but have a habit of qualifying.

All the games are at 12:30 AM UK time. Relish the challenge?

Its going to be a night full of emotions. I'll end up crying tomorrow regardless of the outcome. If we qualify I'll be crying of joy, or because Peru are eliminated.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

The games aren't even televised here I don't think O.o

SirBalon mentioned that earlier. I made a joke about it that has some element of truth.

The UK is the only country in the world that care more about Dagenham vs Eastleigh than a World Cup final.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Blue said:

SirBalon mentioned that earlier. I made a joke about it that has some element of truth.

The UK is the only country in the world that care more about Dagenham vs Eastleigh than a World Cup final.

well that's not really true is it. 

It's UK TV companies, not the actual football fans. Look how many people are interested in this thread. There's probably a lot of derision across the country that these games aren't being aired but not enough for any mainstream media to give that much of shit about.

Just now, Stan said:

It's UK TV companies, not the actual football fans. Look how many people are interested in this thread. There's probably a lot of derision across the country that these games aren't being aired but not enough for any mainstream media to give that much of shit about.

I've been on other UK forums that have shown very little interest in these games. 

It was a joke though, I was referring to the whole "international football is wank" statement.

There was a time when Sky used to screen South American WC qualifiers though. You would have thought either themselves or BT would have got in on that.

That said, hasn't the last few Copa America's not been picked up by Sky/BT anyway? Pretty sure I can't remember seeing them on TV unless it was a PPV station.

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

There was a time when Sky used to screen South American WC qualifiers though. You would have thought either themselves or BT would have got in on that.

That said, hasn't the last few Copa America's not been picked up by Sky/BT anyway? Pretty sure I can't remember seeing them on TV unless it was a PPV station.

Premier Sports showed the 2015 Copa apparently.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

You're right upto a certain point mate but here we have a very diverse lot to be honest and people like you for example who is very interested in what occurs in other parts of the world.  You (like many others here) seem to have a comment or two on football all over the planet.

But in general (I know it's wrong to generalise), in the UK we don't really care too much for football outside Europe and some even outside the UK or England itself.  I've read comments in the past not just here but the other place of members stating the fact that they don't move outside the sphere of their own football zone and some even don't care about international football at all (this latter statement occurs in many countries though).

But you are also right in my view that the games that haven't been shown would've gotten viewers, enough to make it worth while because at the time Latin American games are shown in Europe, there's not much else live that could be sown that's occurring around our continent.  Not to say that the qualification situation in South America right now isn't absolutely breathtakingly exciting.  Only Brazil have qualified for certain and the uncertainty of the tremendous change that could happen depending on a series of results is incredible and should draw in the hunger to want to view it.

I find it strange that in the UK we are one of very few nations on the planet that aren't showing these games live.  One of very few nations that have football as their main sport.

6 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why? It's pretty clear the reasons why.

I understand the reasoning but its some tasty fixtures that are too good to be ignored, especially with what's at stake 

Brasil/Chile

Peru/Colombia 

Ecuador/Argentina 

Worst start of the day I've had all year. As we approach it, I can't stop thinking in the game.

I don't know if I will be able to bear disappointment. I just hope to win and finally accomplish the dream.

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why? It's pretty clear the reasons why.

It is South America though. You can never count out the possibility of at least one team  purposefully delaying the start of the match, even by like 5 minutes, by entering the pitch late.

Personally I'd like to see both Argentina and Peru go through at the expense of Paraguay and Colombia, who I find rather dull these days. Argentina haven't been playing well, but a year in the job and the right players being called up and they could offer a lot in the world cup next year under Sampaoli once he is able to have time to implement his style. As for Peru, they play good football at times and are potentially a darkhorse, whereas I think Colombia would be an outright flop next year and I doubt Paraguay would offer much this time around.

Uruguay are the dullest team though, but unfortunately they have a 99% chance of going through due to superior goal difference to the others.

As for Chile, they have been patchy in these qualifiers, but in the tournaments themselves they are one of the toughest sides to beat and I believe they could continue that at the next tournament.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Personally I'd like to see both Argentina and Peru go through at the expense of Paraguay and Colombia, who I find rather dull these days. Argentina haven't been playing well, but a year in the job and the right players being called up and they could offer a lot in the world cup next year under Sampaoli once he is able to have time to implement his style. As for Peru, they play good football at times and are potentially a darkhorse, whereas I think Colombia would be an outright flop next year and I doubt Paraguay would offer much this time around.

Uruguay are the dullest team though, but unfortunately they have a 99% chance of going through due to superior goal difference to the others.

As for Chile, they have been patchy in these qualifiers, but in the tournaments themselves they are one of the toughest sides to beat and I believe they could continue that at the next tournament.

I agree on every word but we wouldn't be a dark horse. We're a good side but at least in our first World Cup back we will be at best a quarter final side. The job is to really market Peru as a name and get our best over to Europe and the domestic players exported.

Some guy told me that Gallese can get to Real Madrid via the World Cup. Sounds crazy but he was 100% right. That's what happened with Keylor Navas in 2014.

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

I agree on every word but we wouldn't be a dark horse. We're a good side but at least in our first World Cup back we will be at best a quarter final side. The job is to really market Peru as a name and get our best over to Europe and the domestic players exported.

Some guy told me that Gallese can get to Real Madrid via the World Cup. Sounds crazy but he was 100% right. That's what happened with Keylor Navas in 2014.

Getting to the quarters would still be an achievement in itself though mate, as there are definitely 8 stronger nations out there, to end up being one of the 8 best in the World cup would be a job well done. It would also give you momentum going into the next Copa America, which is a realistic tournament for you to win when you consider that, Brazil aside, there aren't too many nations right now that are standing out about other SOuth American nations and it's all very even out there right now.

The thing with Keylor Navas is that he'd played for Levante before joining Real Madrid and was one of La Liga's stand out keepers in his last season for them and I think this also played a massive part in him joining. The World Cup probably decided the decision for them though and maybe if Costa Rica weren't in that world cup, he will have ended up elsewhere at a club such as Sevilla.

4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Getting to the quarters would still be an achievement in itself though mate, as there are definitely 8 stronger nations out there, to end up being one of the 8 best in the World cup would be a job well done. It would also give you momentum going into the next Copa America, which is a realistic tournament for you to win when you consider that, Brazil aside, there aren't too many nations right now that are standing out about other SOuth American nations and it's all very even out there right now.

The thing with Keylor Navas is that he'd played for Levante before joining Real Madrid and was one of La Liga's stand out keepers in his last season for them and I think this also played a massive part in him joining. The World Cup probably decided the decision for them though and maybe if Costa Rica weren't in that world cup, he will have ended up elsewhere at a club such as Sevilla.

We've always been a better short cup team and I'd be confident of going through to the round of 16. Depending on the opposition, quarters is realistic but I think that's as far as we can go if we qualify.

I agree that not many South American nations are standing out but they weren't in 2010 either and we still 4 saw quarter finalists from the continent. I reckon they'll be fine. I only don't have faith in Colombia and Uruguay.

Gallese had a poor season for Veracruz last year but this season he's been one of the best keepers in the Liga MX. He's trying to prove a point to all the Mexicans who are making life difficult over there. He has potential to be the best Peruvian born keeper of all time. Balerio and Quiroga weren't Peruvian. Balerio was Uruguayan and Quiroga was Argentinian.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Sampaoli: “Si estamos a la altura de Messi seguro vamos al Mundial”

"If we can play at the level Messi plays we'll be going to the World Cup

Everyone here in Peru is saying that we should forget about Argentina as they are going to win. They play well and don't get results.

I'm under the impression that they don't play well and that's why they don't get results. So are Ecuador the equivalent of Gibraltar or San Marino? Are Argentina going to get an easy win 2800 metres above sea level?

I don't mind predictions but I'd wish they'd have a bit more faith in that match. Regardless though we are in if we win today.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Everyone here in Peru is saying that we should forget about Argentina as they are going to win. They play well and don't get results.

I'm under the impression that they don't play well and that's why they don't get results. So are Ecuador the equivalent of Gibraltar or San Marino? Are Argentina going to get an easy win 2800 metres above sea level?

I don't mind predictions but I'd wish they'd have a bit more faith in that match. Regardless though we are in if we win today.

Whoever says they've been playing well is a liar or a wishful thinker if they're that way inclined.  Argentina have massive problems but they do have players that can give you a result against anyone on their day and if things click.  But their football is absolutely terrible because their midfield is average...  Football is created in midfield and anything else is improvisation and luck.

Perú have been playing some excellent football and it's all about belief when deciding big games that come along....  Oh!  Also having "cojones"...  Can't forget that! ;)

Just now, SirBalon said:

Whoever says they've been playing well is a liar or a wishful thinker if they're that way inclined.  Argentina have massive problems but they do have players that can give you a result against anyone on their day and if things click.  But their football is absolutely terrible because their midfield is average...  Football is created in midfield and anything else is improvisation and luck.

Perú have been playing some excellent football and it's all about belief when deciding games come along....  Oh!  Also having "cojones"...  Can't forget that! ;)

I've had the worst possible day. I am not motivated to do anything. I just want the match to get here and I want to win. We deserve it.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived