talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup Qualifiers (CONMEBOL) October 5th and October 10th

football forum

11 minutes ago, Blue said:

Arturo Vidal

"relax lads, we are going to the World Cup, we're going to beat everyone. We will go to the World Cup because god wants it"

Superb.

This is the same guy who tried pumping the home fans up against Real only to sky a penalty moments later. 

He has a history of things backfiring like a certain  someone. 

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

This is the same guy who tried pumping the home fans up against Real only to sky a penalty moments later. 

He has a history of things backfiring like a certain  someone. 

Realistically, he has a right to have a prediction. Usually they have no basis whatsoever but a footballer has to believe they can go for it.

However he needs to keep it within the dressing room. Him making it public just makes him look like an idiot especially when it continiously backfires. That last line in particular is gold. "Because god wants it". Superb xD

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Realistically, he has a right to have a prediction. Usually they have no basis whatsoever but a footballer has to believe they can go for it.

However he needs to keep it within the dressing room. Him making it public just makes him look like an idiot especially when it continiously backfires. That last line in particular is gold. "Because god wants it". Superb xD

There is a thin line between ambition and stupidity. 

I'm a firm believer that there isn't an ounce of humility in Vidal. 

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

There is a thin line between ambition and stupidity. 

I'm a firm believer that there isn't an ounce of humility in Vidal. 

Well I'd rather hear him keep talking than have him actually play proper football. At least for this match day. Just this match day if it has to.

13 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

vThe same Vidal that scored twice vs Chelsea (2012 CL group) scored once in the 2-2 and in the 3-0. the group were Juventus and Shakhtar advanced and not chelsea 😂😂😂

To which we went on and won the Europa League  being the first English club to win every major European Honor and not United 😂😂😂

• The topic was pinned

Next thursday, and I am only focused on that. After the weekend fixtures, I only care about these games. We haven't been this close to the World Cup since 1997. To us, this is more important than winning another Copa America, even if its just to participate.

First away to Argentina. Chances are we will lose, but its not the mission impossible task that everyone is claiming it to be. Argentina have been wank under all 3 managers they've had in this cycle. If Ecuador and Paraguay won there, so can we and to be honest I rather it be that way as a win there almost assures us of World Cup qualification, even with a loss on the final day vs Colombia.

I have 2 possible lineups here.

Gallese

Corzo - Rodriguez - Araujo - Trauco

Aquino

Tapia - Yotun

Farfan ------------------------- Flores

Paolo

This lineups is something more balanced. Hitting them on the counter which is the way to go in my opinion as they can be unbelievably dull and exposed on the counter at times despite all the talent they have. My other idea was

Gallese

Advincula - Rodriguez - Araujo - Trauco

Aquino - Yotun

Farfan - Manzaneda - Flores

Paolo

Something more offensive but for now I'll prefer the former. I do hope Manzaneda gets some game time at some point though.

As for my predictions

Bolivia 2-1 Brazil

Venezuela 2-0 Uruguay

Chile 4-0 Ecuador

Colombia 1-1 Paraguay

Argentina 2-2 Peru

Heart says Peru will beat Argentina and Chile will draw Ecuador though.

Unlike Uruguay, Peru will actually come to play, so there will definitely be space for Messi and Dybala to work around. Sampaoli seems to still favor Icardi over Higuain, and hopefully he's realised that to truly make this 3 at the back formation work, he needs proper wing backs. 

Icardi----Dybala

Messi

Gaitan------Banega---Mascherano-----Salvio

Otamendi-----Fazio------Musacchio/Mercado

Romero

Usually I think the international break is aload of rubbish, but these South American qualifiers are going to be very interesting this week. So much at stake for almost every side.

Other than Brazil(who have won the group) and both Venezuela and Bolivia(who are mathematically out), everyone has something to play for.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Unlike Uruguay, Peru will actually come to play, so there will definitely be space for Messi and Dybala to work around. Sampaoli seems to still favor Icardi over Higuain, and hopefully he's realised that to truly make this 3 at the back formation work, he needs proper wing backs. 

Icardi----Dybala

Messi

Romero

is Gaitan even a wing-back? Always had him down as an out-and-out attacking winger and not much of a defensive mindset. Could be totally wrong to be honest xD 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

is Gaitan even a wing-back? Always had him down as an out-and-out attacking winger and not much of a defensive mindset. Could be totally wrong to be honest xD 

Lad can cross a ball and has a great work rate. Seeing DiMaria continue to play there despite the countless mistakes is frustrating. 

Uruguay is a guarantee now for me. I don't think they deserve it but they have Venezuela away and Bolivia at home. The former I think they'll lose. The latter they'll win.

Colombia with a win vs Paraguay are also in. It won't be easy for them as Paraguay are a better away side and live by the "never say die" mentality. They don't believe they are out until they are out. I think Colombia will win narrowly and then lose to us in Lima.

The big one is Argentina, Chile and Peru. Chile have Ecuador at home and despite the missing players i can't see anything but a home win. Ecuador are demoralized and largely awful. They won't win in Brazil though. With their best efforts at best they might get a draw.

Ive already given my thoughts on Argentina vs Peru. Peru wants to reach the World Cup more than Argentina but that's not saying much. I can just as easily say Argentina don't want to go through the embarrassment of missing the World Cup. They'll give it their all. Right now, we are much better than they are but they have more quality and more ability to grind out results. If Messi and Dybala click, there is a huge chance we will lose. 

One thing I will say is that the Argentinians are scared to death of Paolo Guerrero as many pundits say he's the second best striker in South America, so I hope he gives them another show like he gave them last year in Lima. He will be fouled the entire match, I can guarantee it. He's very highly rated over there, almost as much as we rate him here.

The last game is Argentina at Ecuador and us hosting Colombia. Early predictions I think Argentina will get a draw and we will beat Colombia.

After 40 years of referee errors going against us, ill discipline, not being able to play our traditional style, not being able to embrace our culture with our football, and most of all failure, it's time the 4th most important South American nation awakens and goes back to where we belong. Let's give the generation who lived the 70's another World Cup. Let's give the new generations something to celebrate, have an unforgettable experience. Let's give Teofilo Cubillas and Hector Chumpitaz a World Cup to enjoy as fans. Peru has awakened, and let's not go back to sleep. It's time to show the world what an important football nation we really are, both historically and currently. VIVA PERU!!!!

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Blue said:

After 40 years of referee errors going against us, ill discipline, not being able to play our traditional style, not being able to embrace our culture with our football, and most of all failure, it's time the 4th most important South American nation awakens and goes back to where we belong. Let's give the generation who lived the 70's another World Cup. Let's give the new generations something to celebrate, have an unforgettable experience. Let's give Teofilo Cubillas and Hector Chumpitaz a World Cup to enjoy as fans. Peru has awakened, and let's not go back to sleep. It's time to show the world what an important football nation we really are, both historically and currently. VIVA PERU!!!!

Brazil. Argentina. Colombia. Chile. 

Image result for hmm gif

Just now, Stan said:

Brazil. Argentina. Colombia. Chile. 

Image result for hmm gif

Colombia with their 1 Copa America and irrelevance before 1990... ok

I get that we've been irrelevant the past 40 years but our teams while some dreadful aren't as bad as what they had prior to the Valderrama era.

Chile is debatable but I'd still have us over them.

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Icardi----Dybala

Messi

Romero

Looks like Di Maria will get the start. Mascherano and Mercado in center backs, Enzo Perez and Salvio, no Dybala. Saw it on a fox sports twitter. I don't have the link to the tweet as I'm on mobile.

Ive never been so confident in beating Argentina. I genuinely do believe we can go there and get a win.

Here it is

Hilariously unimpressive lineup. If that's how they go out to play against us, then I think we'll win. If Dybala starts though I wouldn't be so confident as I am now.

4 hours ago, Blue said:

Colombia with their 1 Copa America and irrelevance before 1990... ok

I get that we've been irrelevant the past 40 years but our teams while some dreadful aren't as bad as what they had prior to the Valderrama era.

Chile is debatable but I'd still have us over them.

Add Uruguay in place of them. You can't claim anything but them being a massive nation and the 3rd best in South America by a distance. 2 World Cups(Same as Argentina) and 15 Copa Americas(1 more than Argentina and 7 more than Brazil) is no joke.

Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay are the top 3, after that I suppose you could argue between Colombia, Chile, Paraguay and Peru.

Personally I'd go:-

1. Brazil

2. Argentina

3. Uruguay

4. Paraguay

5. Chile

6. Peru

7. Colombia

6 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Add Uruguay in place of them. You can't claim anything but them being a massive nation and the 3rd best in South America by a distance. 2 World Cups(Same as Argentina) and 15 Copa Americas(1 more than Argentina and 7 more than Brazil) is no joke.

Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay are the top 3, after that I suppose you could argue between Colombia, Chile, Paraguay and Peru.

Personally I'd go:-

1. Brazil

2. Argentina

3. Uruguay

4. Paraguay

5. Chile

6. Peru

7. Colombia

Uruguay is no doubt the 3rd biggest. I know Stan's expertise isn't South American football but I don't know where he got Colombia or Chile from.

I wouldn't have Paraguay 4th. They may have 2 Copa America's and I believe 8 World Cup appearances but they have never EVER had a team anywhere near as good as Chile 2015 or Peru 1975.

4th is only between Peru and Chile for me and because of our impact and legacy on the tiki taka as well as football in general, we are more important. Its not like we've not had talent along the last 40 years. Solano, Pizarro, Palacios and Guerrero as a few examples.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Blue said:

Uruguay is no doubt the 3rd biggest. I know Stan's expertise isn't South American football but I don't know where he got Colombia or Chile from.

I wouldn't have Paraguay 4th. They may have 2 Copa America's and I believe 8 World Cup appearances but they have never EVER had a team anywhere near as good as Chile 2015 or Peru 1975.

4th is only between Peru and Chile for me and because of our impact and legacy on the tiki taka as well as football in general, we are more important. Its not like we've not had talent along the last 40 years. Solano, Pizarro, Palacios and Guerrero as a few examples.

yeah somehow missed Uruguay xD 

Also, you can't hold Colombia back from the rankings based on lack of Copa America wins and then hold it against Paraguay as well when they've won the same amount as Peru? Also with more World Cup appearances than Peru?

Paraguay have their fair share of talent too - Santa Cruz, Oscar Cardozo, Chilavert, Barreto, Gamarra. 

Just now, Stan said:

yeah somehow missed Uruguay xD 

Also, you can't hold Colombia back from the rankings based on lack of Copa America wins and then hold it against Paraguay as well when they've won the same amount as Peru? Also with more World Cup appearances than Peru?

Paraguay have their fair share of talent too - Santa Cruz, Oscar Cardozo, Chilavert, Barreto, Gamarra. 

I can - there is a good reason they don't have many Copa America wins and that's because they were a completely irrelavent football nation before 1989. The only good player they had prior to that was Willington Ortiz. They are a bit like the USA and Venezuela although not THAT bad.

Paraguay has had their fair share of talent and all 5 players you listed were excellent players, but you can't compare to them what Peru and Chile have had. Starting with Chile, Carlos Cazsely, Alexis Sanchez, Arturo Vidal, Ivan Zamorano, Marcelo Salas and Elias Figueroa are better than any player they've had and as for Peru, I could go on a long list. Pizarro isn't one of our 10 best players of all time to give you an idea. Teofilo Cubillas and Hector Chumpitaz are regarded as some of the best ever in their position. Don't even get me started on Hugo Sotil and Cesar Cueto. The only player we've had since 1982 who could make it to an all time Peru XI is Paolo Guerrero.

We've left a huge legacy as we were one of the teams who revolutionized the tiki taka and have the titles to make up for that. We might be saying that about this Chile team in 40 years but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived