talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gaming - General Chat

football forum

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I like how they are still sticking with it on the current Switch and not peddling a new console for it. I was only really disappointed that two things I wanted to hear about didn't get addressed.

1. The status of the new Metroid
  2. No news about the rumors flying around that Konami were trying to get a new Castlevania specifically for the Switch

Metroid Prime 4 has not long been started from scratch, so that doesn't surprise me too much. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Metroid Prime 4 has not long been started from scratch, so that doesn't surprise me too much. 

Was talking more about the fact that they started then scrapped everything and since then there's been absolutely no news on whether they've managed to jump that hurdle and things are actually in development or not.

10 hours ago, Harry said:

I've never played Metroid or Castlevania tbh but would love to see more classic Nintendo franchises reignited. Speaking of which, I really enjoyed this one...

I was surprised by that because... Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Banjo-Kazooie. Rare holds the rights and Rare's owned by Microsoft - but I do know the Xbox head was interested in having a Microsoft character in Smash Brothers.

I hope this means a new Banjo-Kazooie game is coming.

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I was surprised by that because... Nintendo doesn't own the rights to Banjo-Kazooie. Rare holds the rights and Rare's owned by Microsoft - but I do know the Xbox head was interested in having a Microsoft character in Smash Brothers.

It's nice to see some cooperation I agree. I'd really like to see Microsoft relinquish control of some of the old RARE IP to Nintendo or engage in some sort of collaborative partnership. A banjo Kazooie game would sell in much greater volumes on a switch than on an Xbox imo. On a switch it becomes a mandatory purchase.

Edited by Harry

12 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Was talking more about the fact that they started then scrapped everything and since then there's been absolutely no news on whether they've managed to jump that hurdle and things are actually in development or not.

Possibly too early to show anything just yet. This reminds me that I need to play the original trilogy at some point. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Microsoft and Nintendo currently have a close relationship don't they?

This is probably the result of that, plus it's great that Banjo comes home. If the fighters can be bought separately, I'll be getting this. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Possibly too early to show anything just yet. This reminds me that I need to play the original trilogy at some point. 

Think the first and the third are very good the middle one is good too just not as good as the first which was super for the time.

12 hours ago, Harry said:

It's nice to see some cooperation I agree. I'd really like to see Microsoft relinquish control of some of the old RARE IP to Nintendo or engage in some sort of collaborative partnership. A banjo Kazooie game would sell in much greater volumes on a switch than on an Xbox imo. On a switch it becomes a mandatory purchase.

There’s no way they’d give up Rare IP to Nintendo. But they’d probably allow it to be on multiple platforms.

Seeing as the Xbox gamepass is coming to Switch, and another Microsoft owned game, Cuphead, just came out on Switch... I imagine if a new one comes out it’ll come out on both

7 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

One of the nice things about Nintendo and M$ doing work together is the distant hope that RARE puts Killer Instinct on the Switch even if its a dated version. 

The latest version of Killer Instinct (from when the Xbox One launched) is actually really good, I like it better than the latest Street Fighter and the last 2 Mortal Kombats (I love Mortal Kombat, but their combo system is so dated)

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The latest version of Killer Instinct (from when the Xbox One launched) is actually really good, I like it better than the latest Street Fighter and the last 2 Mortal Kombats (I love Mortal Kombat, but their combo system is so dated)

I agree. I think its a bit clunky overall but Post Season 1 they really did some great stuff to it. Shame they killed it off but if RARE wants to revive it for the Switch I would not think thats a bad thing.

EA with another cracker. By trying desperately to defend loot boxes during a session with UK Parliament's Digital, Media, Culture and Sports Committee, it's now been confirmed that they aren't actually loot boxes, but 'surprise mechanics'. The 'surprise mechanics' were also likened to children toys you get in Kinder Surprise eggs. xDxD

https://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2019/06/20/ea-defends-loot-boxes-calls-them-surprise-mechanics?abthid=5d0b5eda448e3d2e3600038d

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

https://kotaku.com/sony-microsoft-and-nintendo-come-out-against-trump-s-1835878667

Long story short, if Playstation, Nintendo and Microsoft don't get too much resolution they will raise the price on their consoles as part of the tariff to combat what its going to cost them. This means things like Scarlett will probably end up being a lot more expensive. I don't get it honestly because this isn't really hurting China but it should be interesting to see what happens with this and the prices customers are going to have to eventually pay as well. 

Edit: You're only screwed if you live in America. The Chinese/Japanese variants of Nintendo and Playstation consoles will work out just fine pricewise.

Edited by Mel81x

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

https://kotaku.com/sony-microsoft-and-nintendo-come-out-against-trump-s-1835878667

Long story short, if Playstation, Nintendo and Microsoft don't get too much resolution they will raise the price on their consoles as part of the tariff to combat what its going to cost them. This means things like Scarlett will probably end up being a lot more expensive. I don't get it honestly because this isn't really hurting China but it should be interesting to see what happens with this and the prices customers are going to have to eventually pay as well. 

Edit: You're only screwed if you live in America. The Chinese/Japanese variants of Nintendo and Playstation consoles will work out just fine pricewise.

Yeah tariffs on the US will only impact the US, really. So if I'm still here when I want to get a new console, looks like I'll be popping down to Mexico (unless the mango moron isn't president anymore).

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah tariffs on the US will only impact the US, really. So if I'm still here when I want to get a new console, looks like I'll be popping down to Mexico (unless the mango moron isn't president anymore).

They'll resolve it. Not just for the gaming industry but across the board. Way too much fabrication is routed through China for manufacturing and this is a child exercising power-play just because he has the bigger stick.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Mel81x said:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/11/20690183/nintendo-switch-lite-goals-success-portable-console-personal-different-market

Actually looks quite good. Might gift this to someone over Xmas if it turns out to be any good from reviews.

Can't play Mario Party with it though, which is a bit of a let down

7 hours ago, Mel81x said:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/11/20690183/nintendo-switch-lite-goals-success-portable-console-personal-different-market

Actually looks quite good. Might gift this to someone over Xmas if it turns out to be any good from reviews.

Saw this and not too fussed about this really. Though it's cheaper, I think it loses its appeal a bit by just being a handheld rather than being a hybrid that can be played as a handheld and docked. 

Let's also not forget that games tend to run better docked than in handheld mode. 

42 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Saw this and not too fussed about this really. Though it's cheaper, I think it loses its appeal a bit by just being a handheld rather than being a hybrid that can be played as a handheld and docked. 

Let's also not forget that games tend to run better docked than in handheld mode. 

Do the games run better docked than in handheld mode? The graphics and frame resolution seem to be much better in handheld mode than docked with my Switch.

52 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Do the games run better docked than in handheld mode? The graphics and frame resolution seem to be much better in handheld mode than docked with my Switch.

Varies from game to game I believe, though games usually tend to look better when docked than in handheld mode (usually going down to 720p instead of 1080p, 900p etc). Not that it makes a huge difference on that small a screen mind. 

I'm sure I have read that games docked tend to run better than in handheld mode. I'll have a browse. 

EDIT: General idea I've read is that the GPU can't run fully when in handheld mode due to things like battery life and possible overheating. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

• Subscriber

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/07/why-is-there-no-smoking-in-gears-5-it-depends-on-who-you-ask/

If you haven't heard about this there won't be any smoking from any of the NPCs in Gears 5. What is rather odd is how it came about but I honestly don't think it affects anything or anyone whether they smoke or not. I honestly could really give two-shits about it and how it works out but the comment section made me think why this is rated as an M title and they only focused on the smoking part as an exclusion? Surprised they didn't tone down the chainsaw hacking or anything else.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/07/why-is-there-no-smoking-in-gears-5-it-depends-on-who-you-ask/

If you haven't heard about this there won't be any smoking from any of the NPCs in Gears 5. What is rather odd is how it came about but I honestly don't think it affects anything or anyone whether they smoke or not. I honestly could really give two-shits about it and how it works out but the comment section made me think why this is rated as an M title and they only focused on the smoking part as an exclusion? Surprised they didn't tone down the chainsaw hacking or anything else.

Was there even smoking in the previous gears? I don't remember it. I guess now that I think about it, I think some people smoke cigars.

I particularly don't give a fuck, but they better not tone down the gore.

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Was there even smoking in the previous gears? I don't remember it. I guess now that I think about it, I think some people smoke cigars.

I particularly don't give a fuck, but they better not tone down the gore.

Yeah I am not overtly worried about it either. I've never really cared for Gears honestly.