talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gaming - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah but I'll have to borrow a friend's PC so probably a bit later... You?

Its in the download queue. I bought it about two weeks ago. Debated on whether I should get that or something else but I figure its been a while since I saw such good reviews for Star Wars game why not give it a shot.

• Subscriber
Just now, Mel81x said:

Its in the download queue. I bought it about two weeks ago. Debated on whether I should get that or something else but I figure its been a while since I saw such good reviews for Star Wars game why not give it a shot.

Let me know your first impressions :) I think I'll get it as well as a few other games around Christmas when I take a break from work so that it makes more sense to make the most out of that borrowed PC xD 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

Let me know your first impressions :) I think I'll get it as well as a few other games around Christmas when I take a break from work so that it makes more sense to make the most out of that borrowed PC xD 

I will certainly do that. I was reading somewhere that people were very impressed with the fight mechanics which is why I am even bothering with it in the first place. Plus, I don't really find the gaming experience bogged down as much anymore since I upgraded my rig months ago so that I can actually spend time playing more RPGs when I get the time myself haha.

• Upvote 1

For those with the Gamepass on Xbox, they've announced that Yakuza 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 will be part of it. Though it's a niche series and looks and feels last gen (Yakuza 0 was originally a PS3 game after all, with the other two getting the remake treatment), I strongly recommend giving 0 at least a go. It's a slow burner but it's one of the most fun games I've played in a long time. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Ah fuck it I'm buying a new PC then. 

A question: am I better going with a new PC or a console? This is just for gaming as I work solely on my laptop.

I'm lazy, so I use a console for gaming mostly. But a lot of the time it's more convenient to game on PC - especially as you can upgrade the hardware, whereas with a console you can't (or it's very hard to and breaks warranties and whatnot). But it's also cheaper to just buy a console and you can use it for other shite like Netflix and whatnot (not like you can't use a computer for that though).

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

You know I am almost tempted to say if you want to try this and you can wait a bit it might come to Stadia so you wouldn't need really good hardware to get it to run. But, if I had to recommend a platform to play this on its the PC. Oh and it is a very very good game, spent three hours on it yesterday and plan to spend even more time on it today.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

After spending a lot of time in Fallen Order I think its safe to say that this is the most fun I have had in a Star Wars game for a while now. I would however not recommend anyone play it on Jedi Grand Master level just because you might not enjoy it as the enemies start attacking you like they are on steroids haha and your parry has to be on point.

Things that I find interesting

• For some reason I feel like I am playing Ubisoft's - Prince of Persia anytime I run a wall
  • The Lightsaber duels are fun at first but after you learn to parry and use it to your advantage things get a little predictable unlike Sekiro where your parrying was far more tedious and required a much better mastery of blocking and when to attack
  • The game never forces you to block completely and maybe its how they planned it to make it seem a bit more like SW but at times I felt like getting ambushed by more than three enemies never left me thinking I had to do more than just block and use my open slots to counter the next move
  • The climbing feels like a Tomb Raider game and I think that is now the gold-standard for PC platforming as it has some of the best mechanics when it comes to traversing large landscapes I have seen in a while
  • I started out on a keyboard but I moved to a joystick (an Xbox one at that) and it felt like I was liberated from the struggle of traversal just because I find that playing these kinds of games with a joystick makes more sense. There isn't anything that requires ultra-precision but the benefit of a KB is the force skills layout which I still think the joystick does well.
  • The skill-tree is pedestrian at best but I suppose you could really make things difficult for yourself and learn in lines versus going with a more horizontal finish approach and make the game more fun.
  • Explore, explore, explore. The more time you spend doing this, the more fun it will be when you start to give enemies a run for their money and while most exploration really opens up the skill tree more and gives you saber improvements they will become much more important later on when the enemies get tougher to deal with.

All in all, its a fun game and I highly recommend it to anyone who has played the old KOTORs, a recent Tomb Raider game or likes games where exploration can sometimes detract from the actual level. 

@nudge you're going to like this a lot. The cinematics are reminiscent of some of the SW series and the animations. 

Edited by Mel81x
  • Like 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

@Mel81x, after hearing the praise it has been getting, I may be tempted in the future. However, though I've said it before, I just have this niggling feeling that EA are going to fuck it up in some way. 

I'd say the longer you wait the better its going to be. And you're right this is EA there is going to be something that is going to make a mess of it but so far I am loving it. I hope they stick to this formula because its a winning one and as an adventure game I think it has some serious replayability especially if you want to see what the harder modes are like. The story isn't half bad the main villain is actually really cool too.

Edited by Mel81x

On 15/11/2019 at 20:22, nudge said:

Ah fuck it I'm buying a new PC then. 

A question: am I better going with a new PC or a console? This is just for gaming as I work solely on my laptop.

A PC if you can afford one. Apart from the price and some exclusives, there are no downsides as a PC can do anything a console can do but not the other way around.

Playing games like this on a console is fine though.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Panflute said:

A PC if you can afford one. Apart from the price and some exclusives, there are no downsides as a PC can do anything a console can do but not the other way around.

Playing games like this on a console is fine though.

I looked around and a 1000 Euro should get the job done I think? If that's the case then I'm fine with it but my main concern and a big donwnside of a PC is transportation... a console I can easily put into my luggage; especially something like a PS4 Slim. Whereas transporting a PC tower between continents is quite a bit problematic...

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, nudge said:

I looked around and a 1000 Euro should get the job done I think? If that's the case then I'm fine with it but my main concern and a big donwnside of a PC is transportation... a console I can easily put into my luggage; especially something like a PS4 Slim. Whereas transporting a PC tower between continents is quite a bit problematic...

I think for that kind of money you can get a laptop to do the job. Keep in mind that you don't need mind-blowing specs to get what you want out of the machine because most games will run just fine with a standard HD res (1920x1080) and a lower powered GPU/GFX option can handle that with ease. Most of the older titles will run on a GTX 1050/1070 variant or something even lower if you want to go that route. Even those GPU options can do some wondrous things with relay pushes to displays and I think in the new Max-Q variants (still pretty cheap) you can get frame-rates in the stable 60FPS mark without pushing your wallet too hard (GTX1070 mobile options do this too). 

The idea behind getting something stronger is to just get things like Ray-Tracing or maybe run Physx on Tessellation and that is totally not required to experience most of the games on here. Just don't go the AMD/Radeon route just because most game devs really give in to problems there as an after-thought more than worrying whether it will work fine for mobile GPU processing. 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-Max-Q-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.224732.0.html

That article starts out with a 1070 and then shows a list at the bottom with the mobile set GPUs. If you look at the 1050/1050Ti variants they are pushing enough power to play titles and the motherboard config will support a better GPU supplement to get the most out of the GFX add-on as well. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think for that kind of money you can get a laptop to do the job. Keep in mind that you don't need mind-blowing specs to get what you want out of the machine because most games will run just fine with a standard HD res (1920x1080) and a lower powered GPU/GFX option can handle that with ease. Most of the older titles will run on a GTX 1050/1070 variant or something even lower if you want to go that route. Even those GPU options can do some wondrous things with relay pushes to displays and I think in the new Max-Q variants (still pretty cheap) you can get frame-rates in the stable 60FPS mark without pushing your wallet too hard (GTX1070 mobile options do this too). 

The idea behind getting something stronger is to just get things like Ray-Tracing or maybe run Physx on Tessellation and that is totally not required to experience most of the games on here. Just don't go the AMD/Radeon route just because most game devs really give in to problems there as an after-thought more than worrying whether it will work fine for mobile GPU processing. 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-Max-Q-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.224732.0.html

That article starts out with a 1070 and then shows a list at the bottom with the mobile set GPUs. If you look at the 1050/1050Ti variants they are pushing enough power to play titles and the motherboard config will support a better GPU supplement to get the most out of the GFX add-on as well. 

If I can get a laptop then I definitely prefer that; I think I can even get my boss to take over a part of the cost as I'd be using it for work anyway in that case. 

How do these two look? 

DELL G5 15 5587 i9-8950HK/16/1TB+256GB SSD/GTX1060 6GB
LENOVO Legion Y530 i7-8750H/8/512GB SSD/GTX1050Ti 4GB

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

If I can get a laptop then I definitely prefer that; I think I can even get my boss to take over a part of the cost as I'd be using it for work anyway in that case. 

How do these two look? 

LENOVO Legion Y530 i7-8750H/8/512GB SSD/GTX1050Ti 4GB

This one out of the two. That processor is going to chew through anything you throw at it. I have a desktop variant of the same and its easily one that can not just play games but it will run work like a breeze too. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
Just now, Mel81x said:

This one out of the two. That processor is going to chew through anything you throw at it. I have a desktop variant of the same and its easily one that can not just play games but it will run work like a breeze too. 

Well my Christmas present for myself might be sorted then... 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Well my Christmas present for myself might be sorted then... 

Are electronics cheaper there? I'd imagine they are but not too sure. I'd also think that you might get some stellar deals and take a trip somewhere else to get the device just because a holiday with a purchase is always a nice thing. 

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Are electronics cheaper there? I'd imagine they are but not too sure. I'd also think that you might get some stellar deals and take a trip somewhere else to get the device just because a holiday with a purchase is always a nice thing. 

Not in Cambodia, they are actually more expensive there (due to import tax) and I wouldn't trust the quality in most shops to be honest. Better off taking a flight to Bangkok or Singapore or even Kuala Lumpur for a better deal. But I'm currently back to Europe for a while so I have more access to electronics at better prices and will definitely make use of that before I go back. That Dell I mentioned is currently at around 1300€, I will look for a better price still. 

• Subscriber

guilty-gear-strive-ui.jpg

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/interview-with-guilty-gear-creator-daisuke-ishiwatari/

Guilty Gear Strive is coming out in 2020 and this is an interview with Daisuke Ishitwatari about the evolution of the fight-game mechanics in it. I loved XRD so this is a no-brain day-one purchase for me. I don't know if anyone plays this or BlazBlue or any of the other Arc Systems games.

• Subscriber
On 18/11/2019 at 18:58, Mel81x said:

After spending a lot of time in Fallen Order I think its safe to say that this is the most fun I have had in a Star Wars game for a while now. I would however not recommend anyone play it on Jedi Grand Master level just because you might not enjoy it as the enemies start attacking you like they are on steroids haha and your parry has to be on point.

Things that I find interesting

• For some reason I feel like I am playing Ubisoft's - Prince of Persia anytime I run a wall
  • The Lightsaber duels are fun at first but after you learn to parry and use it to your advantage things get a little predictable unlike Sekiro where your parrying was far more tedious and required a much better mastery of blocking and when to attack
  • The game never forces you to block completely and maybe its how they planned it to make it seem a bit more like SW but at times I felt like getting ambushed by more than three enemies never left me thinking I had to do more than just block and use my open slots to counter the next move
  • The climbing feels like a Tomb Raider game and I think that is now the gold-standard for PC platforming as it has some of the best mechanics when it comes to traversing large landscapes I have seen in a while
  • I started out on a keyboard but I moved to a joystick (an Xbox one at that) and it felt like I was liberated from the struggle of traversal just because I find that playing these kinds of games with a joystick makes more sense. There isn't anything that requires ultra-precision but the benefit of a KB is the force skills layout which I still think the joystick does well.
  • The skill-tree is pedestrian at best but I suppose you could really make things difficult for yourself and learn in lines versus going with a more horizontal finish approach and make the game more fun.
  • Explore, explore, explore. The more time you spend doing this, the more fun it will be when you start to give enemies a run for their money and while most exploration really opens up the skill tree more and gives you saber improvements they will become much more important later on when the enemies get tougher to deal with.

All in all, its a fun game and I highly recommend it to anyone who has played the old KOTORs, a recent Tomb Raider game or likes games where exploration can sometimes detract from the actual level. 

@nudge you're going to like this a lot. The cinematics are reminiscent of some of the SW series and the animations. 

Borrowed a friend's computer as I've got a little time off work and so I had my first go at the game today... 1 hour into it and I love it already! Only made it to Bogano so far and just fought Oggdo Bogdo haha. Aesthetically it is very pleasing; the story is compelling and well crafted (so far) and I'm looking forward to see the other worlds. Also I love BD-1. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the holomap; that's probably just me but I find it inconvenient and difficult to read. 

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

Borrowed a friend's computer as I've got a little time off work and so I had my first go at the game today... 1 hour into it and I love it already! Only made it to Bogano so far and just fought Oggdo Bogdo haha. Aesthetically it is very pleasing; the story is compelling and well crafted (so far) and I'm looking forward to see the other worlds. Also I love BD-1. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the holomap; that's probably just me but I find it inconvenient and difficult to read. 

After a while you start remembering the paths its not that hard and the maps aren't all that complex (well I say that but they can be). Enjoy the first phase of it and did you beat Oggdo?

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

After a while you start remembering the paths its not that hard and the maps aren't all that complex (well I say that but they can be). Enjoy the first phase of it and did you beat Oggdo?

yep but it took me a few tries :4_joy:

• Upvote 1