talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gaming - General Chat

football forum

A friend recommended Far Cry 5 to me so I'm playing that. The storytelling is a bit wank and not every design choice pans out well, but overall it's a very enjoyable game, largely thanks to its amazing setting. With the absence of those dumb radio towers and a less linear story progression, it also feels much more open than its predecessors. Definitely the biggest leap forward in this series since FC3.

On 09/12/2019 at 15:35, Panflute said:

A friend recommended Far Cry 5 to me so I'm playing that. The storytelling is a bit wank and not every design choice pans out well, but overall it's a very enjoyable game, largely thanks to its amazing setting. With the absence of those dumb radio towers and a less linear story progression, it also feels much more open than its predecessors. Definitely the biggest leap forward in this series since FC3.

Finished it. The ending was a bit of a letdown, but overall it's the most enjoyable game in the series so far imo. I'm also trying out the Vietnam DLC, which so far plays a lot like the original Crysis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

https://kotaku.com/how-game-companies-use-credits-to-reward-or-punish-de-1840905129

Nice read about the history of game credits, how different countries use them and how devs can get totally dicked over for work they've done leading to poor opportunities later. I'd be a bit pissed if I spent months working on something and never got any credit for it, especially in an industry where reputation pretty much shapes your future.

• Subscriber

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/01/on-eve-of-ps5-sony-confirms-it-will-skip-e3-for-second-year-in-a-row/

E3 won't happen with an official Sony presence this year.

Sony are doing something different here and you have to think its the right thing for them to do too. Why spend all that money and send your devs to a place which dictates the time-frame for a demo when you can run your own show and schedule things the way you want to? While it is a competition to see who has the better titles its more apt to do it on your own terms versus having to jam and rush things. Plus they are doing a PS5 release this year and to have their own event makes a lot more sense. You then have to wonder when Microsoft are going to ditch E3 and go for their own event which they are very capable of doing. 

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I think Sony are pretty much looking at Nintendo and seeing that the Directs are doing the job without any need for them to be at E3. 

The last couple for both Microsoft and Sony have been quite poor at E3 to boot. 

Think Microsoft are the next ones to jump ship from E3 honestly. But, they also need to have a killer showing before they do and we sometimes forget how much Sony has used E3 over the years to boost hype and get them to where they are at now. 

• Subscriber

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/01/court-reverses-10-1-million-judgement-against-nintendo-in-wii-patent-case/

Nintendo 1 - Patent Trolls 0

But to be fair to the patent trolls, they'll just go back and file another suit against the decision to get the 10.1m. I thought the iLife claim was silly to begin with but I've seen them given before. 

On 25/01/2020 at 00:47, nudge said:

Eurogamer are reporting it too. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-26-eas-reportedly-working-on-a-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-reboot

Never actually played KOTOR so could be tempted. However.... 

On 25/01/2020 at 11:44, Mel81x said:

Normally I'd say this is bad considering who is involved but maybe it wont be half as bad.

This is what puts me off again. Anything under EA's money grabbing cuntery immediately gets a caution from me. 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-26-eas-reportedly-working-on-a-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-reboot

This is what puts me off again. Anything under EA's money grabbing cuntery immediately gets a caution from me. 

Do it! Both games are lovely.

As for EA, caution is understandable but to be fair to them, they did well with Jedi: Fallen Order.

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

As @nudge mentions EA did a really good job with Fallen Order and putting aside the light saber SNAFU for pre-orders the whole thing went rather smooth. I'd give them another chance here but we'll have to see what they put out. 

If it's Obsidian making this one... it'll be a fantastic game. Pretty much nailed on, regardless of who's publishing it.

The only issue I really see with this is Obsidian is now owned by Microsoft - so I'm not sure how Microsoft Studios (the Microsoft game publishing company) would feel about EA (the publishing company with the Disney contract for Star Wars) putting out a game from one of their developers.

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If it's Obsidian making this one... it'll be a fantastic game. Pretty much nailed on, regardless of who's publishing it.

The only issue I really see with this is Obsidian is now owned by Microsoft - so I'm not sure how Microsoft Studios (the Microsoft game publishing company) would feel about EA (the publishing company with the Disney contract for Star Wars) putting out a game from one of their developers.

Microsoft opinion on what EA does is inversely proportional to the amount of money Disney and EA put on the table.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Is that as a download package from the site?? 

yep - a bundle of four games. Just go here: https://www.gog.com/game/anno_1404_gold_edition; scroll down and it should show you an option to buy the whole bundle (my website is in German so not sure what the exact wording in English is but I'm sure you'll figure it out!)

0vLNHau.png

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, nudge said:

yep - a bundle of four games. Just go here: https://www.gog.com/game/anno_1404_gold_edition; scroll down and it should show you an option to buy the whole bundle (my website is in German so not sure what the exact wording in English is but I'm sure you'll figure it out!)

0vLNHau.png

Wording pops up in English for me as soon as I entered the site so all good, do you need to be a member or sign up or anything or is it just a straight purchase do you know?? 

Am I asking too many questions?? B|

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Wording pops up in English for me as soon as I entered the site so all good, do you need to be a member or sign up or anything or is it just a straight purchase do you know?? 

Am I asking too many questions?? B|

You need to sign up to the site to be able to purchase and download it into your library (just an email address and password needed; no other personal details). You don't need to download anything else to run the games though and the games are also DRM free!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

You need to sign up to the site to be able to purchase and download it into your library (just an email address and password needed; no other personal details). You don't need to download anything else to run the games though and the games are also DRM free!

Downloading and installing as we speak... :D

Thanks for the heads up.. B|

• Upvote 1