talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gaming - General Chat

football forum

46 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Read this earlier today and I am now struggling to see how Epic gets any traction with the Apple block if they choose to stay away from the AppStore. Apple can just stop their app installations by locking them out of the eco-system stating that they won't allow non-authorized apps to be installed. I thought they weren't after Google? Considering the PlayStore never had any issues with this in the first place.

Google has removed Fortnite as well now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

https://kotaku.com/epic-tells-court-its-apple-case-had-to-be-a-big-fight-1844834599

Apparently the courts have given their first ruling.

U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers has issued a temporary verdict on two of the case’s most pending issues, namely whether Fortnite would be allowed back on the App Store and whether Apple could restrict the use of apps using Epic’s Unreal Engine. She denied Epic’s request to have Fortnite reinstated but, as Bloomberg report, “granted the company’s request for a temporary order blocking Apple from limiting the game developer’s ability to provide Unreal Engine, key graphics technology, for other apps”

What's truly odd is that Epic are claiming they had to break the contract with the AppStore to get into court which I think is bogus considering BigTech just got roasted by a Senate hearing not so long ago. Shit company that Epic but they do have a case for the Unreal Engine shit Apple is throwing back at them.

55 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

https://kotaku.com/epic-tells-court-its-apple-case-had-to-be-a-big-fight-1844834599

Apparently the courts have given their first ruling.

U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers has issued a temporary verdict on two of the case’s most pending issues, namely whether Fortnite would be allowed back on the App Store and whether Apple could restrict the use of apps using Epic’s Unreal Engine. She denied Epic’s request to have Fortnite reinstated but, as Bloomberg report, “granted the company’s request for a temporary order blocking Apple from limiting the game developer’s ability to provide Unreal Engine, key graphics technology, for other apps”

What's truly odd is that Epic are claiming they had to break the contract with the AppStore to get into court which I think is bogus considering BigTech just got roasted by a Senate hearing not so long ago. Shit company that Epic but they do have a case for the Unreal Engine shit Apple is throwing back at them.

All three are shit in fairness (Epic, Google and Apple). Epic are claiming that this is due to Apple stifling competition (which they are in fairness), but this is nothing more than wanting more money at the end of the day, regardless of the stance they're trying to take. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
59 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

All three are shit in fairness (Epic, Google and Apple). Epic are claiming that this is due to Apple stifling competition (which they are in fairness), but this is nothing more than wanting more money at the end of the day, regardless of the stance they're trying to take. 

I think Apple will eventually have to come to terms with what Epic are doing because its setting a bad precedent for them as a company that is now going to lose a big game driver on their mobile platform if they somehow manage to lose Unreal Engine. The company that could stand to benefit here is Google if they find a way to placate Epic and create a better eco-system for games on their platforms irrespective of how fragmented the Android landscape is right now. 

• Subscriber

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/playstation-5s-preorder-phase-begins-based-on-fans-playstation-activities/

Interesting way to go about it. Probably done to generate hype more than anything else as I really do believe this time the XBox will be cheaper than the Playstation on launch day. Sadly thats not going to stop Sony from steam-rolling Microsoft over the holidays once again.

Edited by Mel81x

• Subscriber

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/apple-terminates-epics-app-store-access-following-fortnite-dispute/

Apple dropped the hammer. Now we will have to wait and see what happens next. I think Sweeney was playing with fire here and got burned as a result. The real question now is can they prove in court with the further hearings that Apple is being monopolistic and unfair in their decision. Epic has some pretty strong stances on banning users so its nice to see them get fucked in all of this even if the company doing said act is also shady when it comes to platform governance.

Nintendo, what the actual fuck is this? 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-03-nintendo-confirms-mario-64-sunshine-galaxy-remasters-for-nintendo-switch

As much as I like them, they make a lot of very strange decisions. 

And just for the general announcements to celebrate 35 years of Mario. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-03-everything-announced-in-nintendos-super-mario-bros-35th-anniversary-direct

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Nintendo, what the actual fuck is this? 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-03-nintendo-confirms-mario-64-sunshine-galaxy-remasters-for-nintendo-switch

As much as I like them, they make a lot of very strange decisions. 

And just for the general announcements to celebrate 35 years of Mario. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-03-everything-announced-in-nintendos-super-mario-bros-35th-anniversary-direct

I was a bit disappointed honestly. I was kind of hoping for news about a new Mario release (future dated) but I suppose this is for fans who never got to play the originals. Remasters however? IDK.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I was a bit disappointed honestly. I was kind of hoping for news about a new Mario release (future dated) but I suppose this is for fans who never got to play the originals. Remasters however? IDK.

Remasters are fine if done right (Resi 2 and the Crash and Spyro trilogies come to mind), but this just looks like a touch up and not much more. 

The odd part is the limited number of physical copies and, bizzarely, only being available digitally until the end of March. :|

I'm interested to see how Super Mario Bros battle royale will work mind. 

Epic really are turning this into an utter shits how, ironically one that they created and fabricated as an 'anti-consumer' stance. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-05-epic-calls-on-court-to-stop-apples-retaliation-against-the-fortnite-maker

While I don't have huge love for Apple nowadays, Epic have gone about this completely wrong. 

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Epic really are turning this into an utter shits how, ironically one that they created and fabricated as an 'anti-consumer' stance. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-05-epic-calls-on-court-to-stop-apples-retaliation-against-the-fortnite-maker

While I don't have huge love for Apple nowadays, Epic have gone about this completely wrong. 

They aren't coming back to the App Store without a public apology and then paying the fines for what they did and then signing a contract and abiding by it. Serves them right in the end really because you can't say you're going to follow the rules then try to fuck the platform you're on by going in a totally different direction. They thought they'd have a better stance by now but unfortunately they tried to go up against the one company whose legal documentation for platform dispersal is super air-tight. This also very funnily happens to coincide with the Facebook privacy fiasco also against Apple so who knows what Epic was thinking when they did this.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Phase 1 of "Playing-Chicken" has now come to fruition with Microsoft doing a press released for Xbox-S at $299.

https://kotaku.com/microsofts-next-gen-xbox-one-series-s-is-only-299-1844979695

But of course no one really cares for this as the two big press releases for price are still on the horizon.

Tbh, I'm gonna hold off altogether for the time being. I remember getting a PS4 shortly after launch and while Battlefield 4 was good, there was pretty much nothing worthwhile until Alien Isolation and Shadow of Mordor almost a year later. 

That and I still have a fair amount to play on my PS4 and Switch anyway. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Tbh, I'm gonna hold off altogether for the time being. I remember getting a PS4 shortly after launch and while Battlefield 4 was good, there was pretty much nothing worthwhile until Alien Isolation and Shadow of Mordor almost a year later. 

That and I still have a fair amount to play on my PS4 and Switch anyway. 

Buying a gen-1 XBX or PS has not always been smart anyways. They've had issues for years and with the new designs I am sure there will be thermal issues considering what they are housing and the power draw.

I'd wait till March and then get one as by then they'll have some good titles (Playstation of course)

24 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Buying a gen-1 XBX or PS has not always been smart anyways. They've had issues for years and with the new designs I am sure there will be thermal issues considering what they are housing and the power draw.

I'd wait till March and then get one as by then they'll have some good titles (Playstation of course)

Tbf, my PS4 is still running fine from the day I got it. My Wii back in 2006, bar the odd crash now and then, has had no issues either. The 360 however was a different matter (we all know about that). 

The issue I mainly had was the lack of good games really until the end of 2014. I had Battlefield 4 (very good bar the bugs), Killzone (pretty but nothing special), FIFA 14 (looked ok but typical annual installment) and Injustice 1 (PS3 tart up) at the beginning, as well as Resogun already on the console (which I actually quite liked). But it says something when I didn’t buy another game between those in December 2013 until Alien Isolation's release in October 2014.

I have too many other games to play regardless, continuing with the Yakuza series for a start (Like a Dragon is out in two months). 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Tbf, my PS4 is still running fine from the day I got it. My Wii back in 2006, bar the odd crash now and then, has had no issues either. The 360 however was a different matter (we all know about that). 

The issue I mainly had was the lack of good games really until the end of 2014. I had Battlefield 4 (very good bar the bugs), Killzone (pretty but nothing special), FIFA 14 (looked ok but typical annual installment) and Injustice 1 (PS3 tart up) at the beginning, as well as Resogun already on the console (which I actually quite liked). But it says something when I didn’t buy another game between those in December 2013 until Alien Isolation's release in October 2014.

I have too many other games to play regardless, continuing with the Yakuza series for a start (Like a Dragon is out in two months). 

My original PS4 is still running fine and not causing any issues, it just gets a bit less time now considering I got gifted a PS4PRO when it released. But you're right there weren't that many hot titles on launch day which is what they're trying to address this time. It also really depends on the dev studios to step up to the plate but I think a start with Spiderman, Horizon and a GT game within the space of two months should be a good start. 

I am one game down on my PS4 now and then my backlog is done and I dont plan on getting any more games. 

Also, don't know if you're interested but ...

https://kotaku.com/new-hyrule-warriors-is-a-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-preq-1844983105

5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

My original PS4 is still running fine and not causing any issues, it just gets a bit less time now considering I got gifted a PS4PRO when it released. But you're right there weren't that many hot titles on launch day which is what they're trying to address this time. It also really depends on the dev studios to step up to the plate but I think a start with Spiderman, Horizon and a GT game within the space of two months should be a good start. 

I am one game down on my PS4 now and then my backlog is done and I dont plan on getting any more games. 

Also, don't know if you're interested but ...

https://kotaku.com/new-hyrule-warriors-is-a-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-preq-1844983105

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't played Breath of the Wild at all yet. :(

• Sad 1

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Yeah, I'm ashamed of the near 200 hours I put into Yakuza 0. xD

Haha nothing to be ashamed of. I've put in way too much time similarly into games like Dark Souls, NiOh, etc. My current off-beat game is Spiritfarer and although its a silly game I do enjoy the amount of time I have put into it.

7 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

This is going to rage on and on.... I can understand Epic games doing what they did with Apple getting 30% of all purchases which is just pure greed at the end of the day...