talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gaming - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Well done on promoting the health of your employees Gamestop. You truly are a leader that all should follow. 

https://uk.ign.com/articles/gamestop-employees-told-to-keep-stores-open-because-they-are-an-essential-business-amid-covid-19-outbreak

The more I read about practices in the gaming industry the more I wonder when the money is really going to be enough to stop treating their employees worse than dirt.

20 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Well done on promoting the health of your employees Gamestop. You truly are a leader that all should follow. 

https://uk.ign.com/articles/gamestop-employees-told-to-keep-stores-open-because-they-are-an-essential-business-amid-covid-19-outbreak

Unbelievable.

I think many people will agree that while we're all meant to be socially distancing ourselves from everyone, that things like video games for entertainment are going to keep us sane. But there's other ways to get new games in 2020 rather than going to the shops. And at this point in time, it's hard to claim a service that's available already to people at home is an essential service to keep open during a pandemic.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Unbelievable.

I think many people will agree that while we're all meant to be socially distancing ourselves from everyone, that things like video games for entertainment are going to keep us sane. But there's other ways to get new games in 2020 rather than going to the shops. And at this point in time, it's hard to claim a service that's available already to people at home is an essential service to keep open during a pandemic.

Without going into a country' biggest dick' argument, this just sounds like typical America. Money and profit at all costs and fuck everyone else. 

Not that Game over here are much better mind. 

• Upvote 2

For anyone interested, Square Enix are offering the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot and the standalone game Temple of Osiris for free if downloaded by Tuesday 24th March as part of a 'Stay Home and Play' campaign. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-21-tomb-raider-2013-free-to-keep-as-part-of-stay-home-and-play-campaign

Also worth checking the link as the end of the article mentions that others are doing similar as well, so worth a general look. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Streets of Rage 4 to apparently be released on 23rd April. Two player online and four player offline. Free on Xbox Gamepass. 

I like the look of it. 

46 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I like the look of it. 

That looks good and faithful to Streets of Rage 2 to some degree (such as the enemies, Axel's special etc). One part I didn't like though is the regenerating health opportunity. I hope the sadist in me can switch that off. 

Apparently the game also has the pixelated retro characters as well. That's SOR2 Axel for me then. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

That looks good and faithful to Streets of Rage 2 to some degree (such as the enemies, Axel's special etc). One part I didn't like though is the regenerating health opportunity. I hope the sadist in me can switch that off. 

Apparently the game also has the pixelated retro characters as well. That's SOR2 Axel for me then. 

Not a big fan of the sound because I think SOR2 had a very good backing track.

• Subscriber

Great video on understanding how Game AI works. If you are also interested there is a video on how Alien Isolation uses two tiered AI to run itself and man does it do a good job.

Edited by Mel81x

For those with PS4's, Sony are offering Journey and the Uncharted trilogy for free as part of the Play at Home initiative. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-04-14-uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection-journey-free-on-ps4-later-this-week

Both may be old but I'll happily take that, especially as I haven't played Journey or Uncharted 3. Germany and China will have Knack 2 instead of the Uncharted games so.............. sorry about that. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

For those with PS4's, Sony are offering Journey and the Uncharted trilogy for free as part of the Play at Home initiative. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-04-14-uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection-journey-free-on-ps4-later-this-week

Both may be old but I'll happily take that, especially as I haven't played Journey or Uncharted 3. Germany and China will have Knack 2 instead of the Uncharted games so.............. sorry about that. 

Wish they had done this sooner. I played Journey a little while ago. 

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I really enjoyed the Uncharted series, personally I found they got better with every installment. The 3rd/4th where both fantastic. I actually just picked up and started playing The Lost Legacy expansion/dlc extra whatever you want to call it recently. 

37 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Proper waste then. Oh well.

Better than nothing I guess, especially after EA bastardised it. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-04-16-crysis-remastered-revealed-coming-to-nintendo-switch

On a different (and very random) note, a jazzed up version of Star Wars: Episode 1 Pod Racer is due for release on PS4 and Switch next month. I remember liking this on N64 so will be interesting to see how it holds up today. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Better than nothing I guess, especially after EA bastardised it. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-04-16-crysis-remastered-revealed-coming-to-nintendo-switch

On a different (and very random) note, a jazzed up version of Star Wars: Episode 1 Pod Racer is due for release on PS4 and Switch next month. I remember liking this on N64 so will be interesting to see how it holds up today. 

While thats true I think this is all this remake/remaster bandwagon thing that devshops are jumping on. I can't see why they dont just make a new Crysis and put that on the newer console versions (maybe thats the ultimate plan here). 

12 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

While thats true I think this is all this remake/remaster bandwagon thing that devshops are jumping on. I can't see why they dont just make a new Crysis and put that on the newer console versions (maybe thats the ultimate plan here). 

Yeah, I'm not a massive lover of the whole remaster thing as it tends to be the 'in thing', especially if it's just a touch up or generally doesn't need one (Resi 4 an example). At the same time, they aren't too bad if you missed them the first time around or just have a fondness (for example, I missed Shadow of the Colossus the first time round but got the PS4 remaster. Same with the Sly Cooper games). 

However, if they go the whole remake option ala Resi 2, Resi 3 and FF7, that's not too bad I don't think as they do feel like a new game compared to its predecessor. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

• Subscriber
Just now, Bluebird Hewitt said:

However, if they go the whole remake option ala Resi 2, Resi 3 and FF7, that's not too bad I don't think as they do feel like a new game compared to its predecessor. 

I agree with this. I think a remake has great value and adds a brand new dimension to the story. Remasters just hinge on nostalgia and playing the on current-gen consoles. I don't mind them honestly but having played most games that get a remaster when they come out again it does seem to me a bit of a cash-grab from the customer. Having said all that, I think Crysis is one of those games that is truly timeless. If they went back and RTXed the whole thing for the PC I think I might give it another run but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I agree with this. I think a remake has great value and adds a brand new dimension to the story. Remasters just hinge on nostalgia and playing the on current-gen consoles. I don't mind them honestly but having played most games that get a remaster when they come out again it does seem to me a bit of a cash-grab from the customer. Having said all that, I think Crysis is one of those games that is truly timeless. If they went back and RTXed the whole thing for the PC I think I might give it another run but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

I admit to being a sucker for some of the remasters mind, mainly for those I didn't play in the past like the two I mentioned. I did get the Crash trilogy as well because, as you said, nostalgia does a fair bit to you. 

I did play Crysis on PS3 and remember liking it a fair amount. Just having the options (guns blazing or stealthy with the suit) to meet the objective was great. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Don't know who else on these forums plays a lot of strategy games but I know @nudge does and this is on sale on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/466560/Northgard/

image.thumb.png.66e95226e1b4d066d27119257a1273c3.png

Cheers, will check it out. Looks pretty good, reminds me of Settlers. Norse mythology definitely is interesting.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Cheers, will check it out. Looks pretty good, reminds me of Settlers. Norse mythology definitely is interesting.

I added it to my wishlist. Once I am done with Katana Zero and Hades I'll get to it too.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I added it to my wishlist. Once I am done with Katana Zero and Hades I'll get to it too.

I was looking for some RTS or a city builder lately to play around a bit after work but didn't really find anything, so this recommendation comes at a right time haha.

• Upvote 1