talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gaming - General Chat

football forum

4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

This is going to rage on and on.... I can understand Epic games doing what they did with Apple getting 30% of all purchases which is just pure greed at the end of the day... 

It's a decent chunk but the way Epic have been going about this is making them look like tits atm.

They make a ton as is from Fortnite and all they basically want to do here is bypass the 30% (which every other developer still has to pay, including Epic themselves when they agreed the terms) so they keep it for themselves, all while making out as if they're doing it 'for the greater good', making mock videos about Apple and effectively using its fanbase (which are mainly kids) to rally against Apple, such as using #freeFortnite on Twitter. 

Apple are no saints by any means but the more I read about this, the more I side with Apple. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

This is going to rage on and on.... I can understand Epic games doing what they did with Apple getting 30% of all purchases which is just pure greed at the end of the day... 

While I think its high (I have personally dealt with this for a work project) I also respect two factors that come out of this. 

1. You don't get by with sub-standard security work. They force you to put their customers first. 
  2. The last type of app that needs special workings on a mobile device platform is a game. That's the best vector for compromising any kind of network. Gamers themselves cheat and use exploits all the time and these guys want their own store on the AppStore.  

I think Apple could get away with a lower margin here but I agree with @Bluebird Hewitt Epic are trying to do something they shouldn't be. Facebook has more of a case when it comes to privacy on iOS than Epic.

Edited by Mel81x

I'm hoping this means they've been given a massive budget by Microsoft to make a new engine for Elder Scrolls/Fallout games. Because I love those series and (most) of those games, but the engines are so shite and dated.

I think it's a bit shit though if you're a console gamer and you had a PS4 or plans of a PS5. Are Bethesda games now going to be Xbox Exclusives? Maybe not, because Microsoft isn't so much for console exclusivity.

For Fallout New Vegas fans... @Batard ... this now means that Bethesda and Obsidian are sister studios (both owned by Microsoft now)... does this mean we might get a Fallout New Vegas 2? Because that's really what I want.

20 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Nope. But you'll be able to play everything they've ever made related to the Elder Scrolls on GamePass for cheap. 

In December, apparently EA Access (or whatever it's called now) is going to be bundled in with Gamepass as well... which is pretty crazy.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm hoping this means they've been given a massive budget by Microsoft to make a new engine for Elder Scrolls/Fallout games. Because I love those series and (most) of those games, but the engines are so shite and dated.

I think it's a bit shit though if you're a console gamer and you had a PS4 or plans of a PS5. Are Bethesda games now going to be Xbox Exclusives? Maybe not, because Microsoft isn't so much for console exclusivity.

For Fallout New Vegas fans... @Batard ... this now means that Bethesda and Obsidian are sister studios (both owned by Microsoft now)... does this mean we might get a Fallout New Vegas 2? Because that's really what I want.

In December, apparently EA Access (or whatever it's called now) is going to be bundled in with Gamepass as well... which is pretty crazy.

I'd be surprised if we got New Vegas 2. Bethesda loathe that NV is so loved. 

Just now, Batard said:

I'd be surprised if we got New Vegas 2. Bethesda loathe that NV is so loved. 

That's a shame because while I loved The Outer Worlds... I did find myself missing being in the Fallout world. I also miss having a radio built into my Pipboy instead of just having a menu.

I'd absolutely love Obsidian to make a new Fallout game, I hope Microsoft forces it on Bethesda. Specifically in the form of New Vegas 2. Or somewhere totally different for the series... like New Orleans or some shite like that. But I'd want Obsidian taking charge of the development and storyline over Bethesda.

36 minutes ago, Batard said:

I honestly don't believe there will be another single player Fallout, everything points towards online. Starfield is the IP Bethesda are mostly behind now (and more Elder Scrolls)

Idk, Fallout 76 was a pretty big flop at launch. They did a bit to fix it with the Fallout 76: Wastelanders patch and I tried it out earlier on in the quarantine and it wasn't as bad as the game that I'd read about getting terrible reviews constantly. But it still wasn't great and it didn't make for a great Fallout game.

I don't think we'll get a new Fallout game for a very long time, but I suspect the next numbered game in the series (well, I guess 76 is a number... but I mean like "Fallout 5") will probably be a single-player game. Again, I don't think it'll be for a very long time - but I think Microsoft will be pushing Bethesda to be doing what customers want so as to basically print money.

I don't think the next Elders Scrolls will be out for another 5-6 years. Starfield's definitely the game they're closest to releasing now.

Microsoft will probably want to space out when they release out games that are pretty similar to one another. Obsidian's got it's own Elders Scroll looking fantasy RPG coming out in the not too distant future, so I imagine ES:6 isn't going to come out to cannibalise their sister's studios sales. It's Microsoft though, they make strange decisions with their gaming studios all the time.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Microsoft's stance now is to move as much as it can to GamePass. It opens the accessibility block for gamers who never played these titles and want to start playing them. Moreover, we're still going to see Bethesda doing titles for other consoles (PS5) with Deathloop and Ghost:Tokyo because they clearly said that both those were in development before the acquisition. They will port them over at a later date.

I think this is good for the gaming community because now you have a company with a rich history of cross-platform gaming going to a service-based delivery system backed by another company that has proven it works. I think PC gamers have so much to be happy about now with the plethora of choices at hand in Steam, GamePass, etc that this is the future of gaming. Sony and Nintendo don't think so and have curiously stayed away from this but we'll see them make the move too once they start coming to terms with how they sell and market their flagship games (none of them are particularly good multi-player but the single-player is of elite quality).

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

I've just got Watchdogs 2 off there for free too. Didn't play the first one but looking forward to checking it out later.

Nice! I see they have Star Wars: Squadrons on pre-order for decent price, so I might as well buy it now too... Will definitely get the Rollercoaster Tycoon tomorrow,  loved the original so quite eager to check it out!

On 22/09/2020 at 18:42, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'll be honest, Gamepass is pushing me a little towards an Xbox this time round. My mates will likely get the PS5, but they don't play online anyway and my work colleagues are online with Xbox. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I'll be honest, Gamepass is pushing me a little towards an Xbox this time round. My mates will likely get the PS5, but they don't play online anyway and my work colleagues are online with Xbox. 

That last bit's sort of how I ended up with an Xbox One. I had a PS3 back home, I was planning on getting the PS4... but most people here that I'm either friends with or the work colleagues I'd want to game with are on the Xbox. And that was pre-Gamepass too. But I came to appreciate what I think is a better UI for partying up and playing online than the PS operating system (granted, I can't speak for the PS4 because).

But Gamepass has certainly probably guaranteed I stay with Microsoft for a while. I just think it's a pretty incredible deal and Microsoft keeps throwing money at it to keep it pretty compelling for customers.

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But Gamepass has certainly probably guaranteed I stay with Microsoft for a while. I just think it's a pretty incredible deal and Microsoft keeps throwing money at it to keep it pretty compelling for customers.

If you're playing with friends online Sony cant hold a candle to Microsoft's online system. The interface is better and the network connectivity is top-notch.

• Upvote 1