talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gaming - General Chat

football forum

In news that'll surprise absolutely no one, Bobby Kotick (Activision's CEO) is poised to earn millions of dollars in bonuses, but will layoff staff in Europe (mainly the publishing side) as 'people prefer to be wallet raped by buying digitally more'. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-20-as-activision-blizzard-boss-bobby-kotick-is-poised-to-earn-a-bonus-worth-millions-of-dollars-staff-brace-themselves-for-layoffs-across-europe

Probably the most insulting part when reading that is when they laid off staff in the US, they were given a $200 gift card to Battle.net as part of the severance package. Cheeky cunts. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

For the Football Manager fans on this forum (such as @LFCMike, @Mpache, @Pyfish, @RandoEFC, @Tommy@Dan and @nudge), a new challenger has come onto the pitch.

THQ Nordic has announced We Are Football, to be released on PC on 10th June. Supposedly a more par backed football management game, where the developers have said a season can be done in two hours. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-27-thq-nordic-takes-on-football-manager-with-its-own-football-management-sim

Probably not going to make Sports Interactive shit itself, but would be good to have some competition again. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

For the Football Manager fans on this forum (such as @LFCMike, @Mpache, @Pyfish, @RandoEFC, @Tommy@Dan and @nudge), a new challenger has come onto the pitch.

THQ Nordic has announced We Are Football, to be released on PC on 10th June. Supposedly a more par backed football management game, where the developers have said a season can be done in two hours. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-27-thq-nordic-takes-on-football-manager-with-its-own-football-management-sim

Probably not going to make Sports Interactive shit itself, but would be good to have some competition again. 

Hmmm, I'll keep an eye on it. It's from a German Company, so probably it's inspired by the old EA Football Manager that was popular in Germany for decades, even though it was shit compared to CM/FM. They were also the reason why Football Manager was "banned" in Germany due to licensing stuff. 

Generally I do like my FM slow, and I don't need anything more "action packed". But I'll see what people/reviews have to say about it. 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hmmm, I'll keep an eye on it. It's from a German Company, so probably it's inspired by the old EA Football Manager that was popular in Germany for decades, even though it was shit compared to CM/FM. They were also the reason why Football Manager was "banned" in Germany due to licensing stuff. 

Generally I do like my FM slow, and I don't need anything more "action packed". But I'll see what people/reviews have to say about it. 

Is this Anstoß?

• Subscriber
50 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Hmm competition is definitely good, but I think it will be very hard to compete with FM, especially without official club/player licenses (modding could likely solve that, but it's a bit of a nuisance) ... Could appeal to those who like faster simulation process, though. 

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Will keep an eye out but I would be amazed, absolutely amazed if it was good enough to put me off FM.

13 hours ago, Tommy said:

13 hours ago, nudge said:

Hmm competition is definitely good, but I think it will be very hard to compete with FM, especially without official club/player licenses (modding could likely solve that, but it's a bit of a nuisance) ... Could appeal to those who like faster simulation process, though. 

12 hours ago, Dan said:

Will keep an eye out but I would be amazed, absolutely amazed if it was good enough to put me off FM.

It won't best Football Manager at all, but just good to see something else on the market. 

I remember in the late 90's at least, you had Premier Manager, Ultimate Soccer Manager and LMA Manager, as well as Championship Manager (the original name before it became Football Manager). Now, you're lucky to find anything worthwhile outside of Football Manager. 

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, MUFC said:

Think the reviews it got were pretty unfair at the start. I played the game and didn't think it deserved half the hate it spurned on the internet. Just the same way Cyberpunk got as much grief for the gaming reviews (the other issues are totally valid).

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Think the reviews it got were pretty unfair at the start. I played the game and didn't think it deserved half the hate it spurned on the internet. Just the same way Cyberpunk got as much grief for the gaming reviews (the other issues are totally valid).

Is the best games I've played to be honest. I've actually fallen in love with chunky biceps Abby.

• Subscriber
On 28/03/2021 at 12:06, Bluebird Hewitt said:

It won't best Football Manager at all, but just good to see something else on the market. 

I remember in the late 90's at least, you had Premier Manager, Ultimate Soccer Manager and LMA Manager, as well as Championship Manager (the original name before it became Football Manager). Now, you're lucky to find anything worthwhile outside of Football Manager. 

I get what you mean, competition isn't a bad thing. I'm worried that Football Manager are going all FIFA - you know like this year they have removed the timeline at the top of a match screen which is absolutely ridiculous in my eyes, if they bring that back in FM22 and announce that as some kind of upgrade I'll be convinced they're running out of ideas - not that I ever really want FM to overhaul things.

FIFA's definitely gotten worse in relation to where it should be since PES went downhill so I'm for any competition. FM will never be beaten though I think. I think with FM you either hate it or you're obsessed with it, any game that can do the latter is special.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

I get what you mean, competition isn't a bad thing. I'm worried that Football Manager are going all FIFA - you know like this year they have removed the timeline at the top of a match screen which is absolutely ridiculous in my eyes, if they bring that back in FM22 and announce that as some kind of upgrade I'll be convinced they're running out of ideas - not that I ever really want FM to overhaul things.

FIFA's definitely gotten worse in relation to where it should be since PES went downhill so I'm for any competition. FM will never be beaten though I think. I think with FM you either hate it or you're obsessed with it, any game that can do the latter is special.

I put around 1000 hours into each FM and I think they're at the point now where the game is consistently good without actually going that one step better. I thought that FM20 and FM21 were no better (or worse) than 19, with just a few tweaks here and there. If you wasn't bothered about the latest up to date information I'd advise a newbie just to save some money and pick up the 2019 edition. 

I must say too, credit to them for releasing the game after a year in Covid but I've never played a game more buggy than FM21 in it's initial release. Teams not registering their players, newgens not being created amongst a ton of other game-breaking shit. It was horrendous, to the point where I legit rage-quitted from the franchise for a month or two around Xmas.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I put around 1000 hours into each FM and I think they're at the point now where the game is consistently good without actually going that one step better. I thought that FM20 and FM21 were no better (or worse) than 19, with just a few tweaks here and there. If you wasn't bothered about the latest up to date information I'd advise a newbie just to save some money and pick up the 2019 edition. 

I must say too, credit to them for releasing the game after a year in Covid but I've never played a game more buggy than FM21 in it's initial release. Teams not registering their players, newgens not being created amongst a ton of other game-breaking shit. It was horrendous, to the point where I legit rage-quitted from the franchise for a month or two around Xmas.

My play time on FM is well beyond even that but part of that as well is that I'll often leave it on when I'm not playing it, but even so in the past year in-particular I've played it loads.

Yeah FM only really needs subtle tweaks, it doesn't need overhauling, you get some silly things happen and you can point at flaws over time of playing it but it's probably the closest thing to real life football on the market. It was awful at first, I'm often a bit iffy with changes but I really did think christ what the hell have they done to this, they've made the match engine great but ruined loads else. I do still think it's pretty annoying that you have to go onto the tactics screen to move players around now, making subs is far more of a pain on this one than previous and I'm struggling to see what the point of them doing that was.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I signed up for the beta weekend of Diablo 2 resurrected, theyre given out a certai amount of codes at random. anyone else into this at all? They basically built an entire new game from what Ive seen (its still diablo 2)but it looks amazing. Absolute nostalgia on this one for me, was one of the first online multiplayers I played the shit out of.

Edited by Viva la FCB
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

I signed up for the beta weekend of Diablo 2 resurrected, theyre given out a certai amount of codes at random. anyone else into this at all? They basically built an entire new game from what Ive seen (its still diablo 2)but it looks amazing. Absolute nostalgia on this one for me, was one of the first online multiplayers I played the shit out of.

I played the shit out of this game as a kid

• Like 1

Looking forward to the new dead space series 

The Callisto Protocol is the spiritual successor to Dead Space in all but name. It's a brand new survival horror game from Glen Schofield's own studio, Striking Distance. Set on Jupiter's moon in 2320, you'll face horrific monsters and a conspiracy to cover, which starts at the dangerous Black Iron Prison. This third-person horror is bound to terrify, especially as Schofield aims to keep plenty of mystery around the game between now and release. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2021 at 22:39, Happy Blue said:

Looking forward to the new dead space series 

The Callisto Protocol is the spiritual successor to Dead Space in all but name. It's a brand new survival horror game from Glen Schofield's own studio, Striking Distance. Set on Jupiter's moon in 2320, you'll face horrific monsters and a conspiracy to cover, which starts at the dangerous Black Iron Prison. This third-person horror is bound to terrify, especially as Schofield aims to keep plenty of mystery around the game between now and release. 

I loved the Dead Space games, I'd wondered why we hadn't seen a new one in such a long time.

• Upvote 1